This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2013 10:27 AM by jwellsnh RSS

Funky Right Sidebar in IE8

jwellsnh Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Please no comments on the design of this page since they are my requirements.  Page displays and behaves nicely in Firefox 24.0 but no so in IE 8.0.7601.17514.  You will notice on the right sidebar that the regions that are colliding and showing some mysterious graphics in the middle.  The right sidebar is made up of 4 regions in total and it is most likely the source of the issue.

The application can be viewed here:

http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=49959:1

Jeff

• 1. Re: Funky Right Sidebar in IE8
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru

Maybe this will make you feel somewhat better.. In IE 10, the design looks the same as in Firefox 24.. No comments on how they BOTH look other than, interesting.. in a Mr. Spock tone of voice..

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

• 2. Re: Funky Right Sidebar in IE8
    jwellsnh Expert

Thanks Tony, isn't the page god awful!  The are fifteen different ways to get to the same page.  The design currently runs as a .NET application and needs some improvement on data validation and yes design but as the users have expressed "we want the same look and feel" in APEX.

Can't say when this organization will upgrade to IE10 or get rid of IE all together or can't you see them due your version of IE.

Any theories on those mystery graphics?

Jeff

• 3. Re: Funky Right Sidebar in IE8
    fac586 Guru

Jeff

Not sure exactly what's causing the problem yet (other than that it's a Microsoft browser). Possibly something to do with the containers for that region being HTML5 elements (aside and section) and the background for the list elements being set to transparent.

Anyway, a quick fix is to override the following theme CSS rule:

.no-css3 section.uButtonRegion {
      background: url(../images/app_theme.png) #ddd repeat-x 0px -968px;
    }

with

.no-css3 section.uButtonRegion {
      background: none #ddd !important;
    }

However, since you haven't said which APEX version you're using I can't suggest the best place to put this...is this sidebar region used on more than one page?

• 4. Re: Funky Right Sidebar in IE8
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru

IE 8 was NOT exactly the best browser to support, but I guess those IT leaders in your organization know what they are doing wanting to use it..

Guess you'll have to chock it up to a "feature" of IE 8...

Sarcasm mode off now....

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

• 5. Re: Funky Right Sidebar in IE8
    jwellsnh Expert

Paul,

The version of APEX is 4.2.3.00.08 and the theme is 24. Cloudy.  If something special needs to be done to a page template to get around this, then couldn't I make a copy of the current page template, No Tabs - Right Sidebar, and alter that possibly?

Jeff

• 6. Re: Funky Right Sidebar in IE8
    fac586 Guru

Jeff

If it's only affecting one page then add the override CSS rule to the Inline CSS property on that page. If it has to be applied to multiple pages, then add it to the Inline CSS property on the required page templates (or make copies of them and apply to those if you prefer).

• 7. Re: Funky Right Sidebar in IE8
    jwellsnh Expert

Paul,

Fantastic, thank you.  I applied the override to the Inline CSS property of the page and it worked!

Jeff

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points