1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 3:37 PM by Nicolette Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Sending many parameters through the column link
        salute-Salem

Do you mean that you don't want to understand the question?

anything i do not understand , is because my english language is a little bit weak .

I told you how to pass a value of a page item in a report link in the very first sentence I posted in this tread.

i've tried it , vainly , and the problem is i can not pass the form values , because it is not shown in the pop-up list of the "value" field , and i want to pass them "pat_name,age,date,....."

how to pass them when the user clicks the link of a test ?

• 16. Re: Sending many parameters through the column link
          Nicolette

Newbi_egy

i've tried it , vainly , and the problem is i can not pass the form values , because it is not shown in the pop-up list of the "value" field , and i want to pass them "pat_name,age,date,....."

how to pass them when the user clicks the link of a test ?

Just type it in. The value is a text field. The pop-up list is only there for your convince not to restrict the input to that list.

Nicolette

• 17. Re: Sending many parameters through the column link
            Nicolette

Newbi_egy

What I'm trying to make clear to you is that you make your application unnessary complicated.

Both for you as developer and for your end user.

If you ignore the different names being used then your use case doesn't differ that much from the demo application.

Your patients are customers in the demo application.

Your "patient test" are the orders in the demo application.

Your results are order items in the demo application.

If you understand this comparison then you will see that it makes more sense to have the "patient tests" and results in a master detail page.

Instead of the patient and "patient test" master detail page you have now.

In a form you can easily apply a no update rule for a single field.

In a tabular form this very complicated.

And I fear that if you try to implement that, even if you get it to work, you wouldn't be able to main the application in the future.

And I understand that you have trouble understanding english.

Please make use of a translation service as translate.google.com or translation.babylon.com  if at all possible.

It helps me greatly in reading blogs and posts in lanquages I don't know.

Nicolette

• 18. Re: Sending many parameters through the column link
              salute-Salem

you told me to write it like that :

&myitem.    -- do not forget the dot .   is not this what you mean ?

there is "name" and "value"

when i work with pop-ups , when i choose from the pop-up of the "name" field , the value is displayed like that             p2_myitem

when i choose from the pop-up of the "value" field , it is displayed like that :            #column#

i changed it in everywhere like that &p2_myitem.    and &column.

so sorry for asking to clear it out again for me , what field do you want me to use the "&" and the "dot" with ? the "name" field or the "value" field ?

2- does it differ when i pass a string value to a number field ?  

• 19. Re: Sending many parameters through the column link
                Nicolette

Newbi_egy

What is holding the value you are trying to pass to the other page?

If the value is hold in a column then use the #COLUMN_ALIAS# syntax.

If the value is hold in a page item then use the &PAGE_ITEM_NAME. syntax.

use the "&" and the "dot" in the "value" field.

The #COLUMN_ALIAS# is also used in the value field.

When test_no is 1 and you have item P2_TEST_NO and value #TEST_NO# as value to pass.

Then this will render a link with P2_TEST_NO:1 in the report on page 3.

And that will set the value of P2_TEST_NO to 1 when the link is clicked.

Read the first chapter Application Builder Concepts of the Oracle® Application Express Application Builder User's Guide to get a better understanding of the url and substitution strings.

Nicolette

• 20. Re: Sending many parameters through the column link
                  salute-Salem

When test_no is 1 and you have item P2_TEST_NO and value #TEST_NO# as value to pass.

Then this will render a link with P2_TEST_NO:1 in the report on page 3.

And that will set the value of P2_TEST_NO to 1 when the link is clicked.

i know this , but this does not happen , and i do not know why ?

the column value is not passed , and when i tried

&item_name to pass a value of an item to another item in another page , it passed like that       &item_name ,     not the value  , it passed like it is .

could you please test it for me , may be there is something wrong .

thanks

• 21. Re: Sending many parameters through the column link
                    Nicolette

Newbi_egy

There where several things wrong.

In the item field you had &P7_TEST_NO. this wrong this should be P7_TEST_NO.

Secondly on page 7 you don't have a P7_TEST_NO item so I changed it to P7_TEST_NAME.

I have also added that the value of pat_name will be passed to the item P7_PAT_NAME

Nicolette

• 22. Re: Sending many parameters through the column link
                      salute-Salem

thanks nicolette , but i think you did not test it  , because it does not work .

??

• 23. Re: Sending many parameters through the column link
                        Nicolette

Newbi_egy

newbi_egy wrote:

thanks nicolette , but i think you did not test it  , because it does not work .

??

I did test the link and the link does work.

The change was done in application "another for patients" on page 3 in the region "pat_tests detail".

Please go to "Patients"  (page 2).

Click the edit link for patient "shady".

Click the edit link of the "pat_tests detail" with test "cbc"

P7_PAT_NAME is "shady" and P7_TEST_NAME is 1.

Any change you make to either pat_name or test_no that is not saved will not be passed  to page 7.

And that is why a link passing updatable values will never work.

Please please please rethink what the user needs to do to complete their task.

• What if the application shows a list of all the tests to the user.
                        • The user will than select all the tests that need to be done.
                        • User clicks save.
                        • All the selected test are inserted into the table pat_tests.
                        • The pat_tests are shown in a report with a link to the result.

Is this a workable option for your users?

Nicolette

• 24. Re: Sending many parameters through the column link
                          TexasApexDeveloper

Nicolette,

May I suggest that you advise Newbi_egy to take this thread further off-line, since he doesn't seem interested in doing this anyway but the way he is doing now, a fly by the seat of his pants design.  IT doesn't seem he s interested in learning how to do data modeling or structured application development, which is a shame, but if that is the way HE wants to develop applications, you can't do much more to help him...

Just a suggestion...

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

• 25. Re: Sending many parameters through the column link
                            salute-Salem

ok nicolette , thanks a lot , i promise i will try to rebuild the data model of the application with the help of a person who does understand the issue .

i am convinced now .

• 26. Re: Sending many parameters through the column link
                              Nicolette

Newbi_egy

Please please please rethink what the user needs to do to complete their task.

• What if the application shows a list of all the tests to the user.
                              • The user will than select all the tests that need to be done.
                              • User clicks save.
                              • All the selected test are inserted into the table pat_tests.
                              • The pat_tests are shown in a report with a link to the result.

Is this a workable option for your users?

Nicolette

To show what I mean check out this application.

Use your own login username and password.

eyesmagicx@yahoo.com

decuk9

It is application Nicolette01 in your workspace

Nicolette

• 27. Re: Sending many parameters through the column link
                                Nicolette

Newbi_egy

That is fantastic news.

Good luck.

Nicolette

1 2 Previous Next