This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2013 12:16 AM by darouwan RSS

Sample of mib in Tuxedo

darouwan Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Recently I am going to write a program to monitor Tuxedo, however there is few sample online. What I can find is just a part of whole sample and it misses a lot of things. Also I found nothing in Github. Does any one have a sample to monitor Tuxedo ?

Moreover, is MIB a corret way to approach my goal? Is there any other method allowing me to monitor Tuxedo by writing program?

• 1. Re: Sample of mib in Tuxedo
    Todd Little Expert

Hi,

There are several options to monitor and/or manage Tuxedo applications.  Out of the box included with Tuxedo are:

1. Tuxedo MIB - Can pretty much do anything and everything, including management, monitoring, configuration, etc.  The MIB can be accessed via service calls to the .TMIB service either embedded in code, or from a tool like ud32. or using the tpadmcall() API.
    2. Command line utilities such as tmadmin, tmloadcf, tmconfig, etc., can be used to also manage, monitor, and configure Tuxedo applications.
    3. SNMP - there is an SNMP agent provided as part of Tuxedo that can be used to monitor almost everything in Tuxedo.

Adding TSAM Plus with or without the Tuxedo Cloud Control plug-in for Oracle Enterprise Manager provides even more options.  TSAM Plus Manager can monitor the performance of a Tuxedo application in very fine detail.  The Tuxedo Cloud Control plug-in for Oracle Enterprise Manager can monitor at a more course granularity on a polled basis the performance of an application, and can also completely manage and configure a Tuxedo application.  Both can allow you to define SLA metrics and take automated action should those SLAs not be met.

So what exactly are you trying to accomplish with what you're planning on developing?

PS  If you look through this forum, you should find examples of either programs and/or ud32 scripts making MIB requests.

Regards,

Todd Little

Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect

• 2. Re: Sample of mib in Tuxedo
    darouwan Newbie

I want to know how to communicate with tuxedo with MIB to get some information from Tuxedo, eg, the server info, or the info of the application running on tuxedo, to monitor them.  I have read the reference of MIB on Oracle and there are a lot of instruction of how to use the function like tpalloc, but I don't know how to start it. I have found something in other website, but they are all fragmentary.

• 3. Re: Sample of mib in Tuxedo
    darouwan Newbie

I  know tsam can be used for monitoring performance of Tuxedo. But I need to write a program to monitor tuxedo by myself, a program like tsam

• 4. Re: Sample of mib in Tuxedo
    darouwan Newbie

One more question, can I monitor Tuxedo using mib remotely?  Or I can only gain the information locally?

• 5. Re: Sample of mib in Tuxedo
    Todd Little Expert

Well, writing a program like TSAM is going to be virtually impossible as TSAM has deep hooks into Tuxedo.  This allows it to determine where on an IPC queue a request was placed, how long it waited in the queue, how much CPU time (user and kernel) was spent processing the request, etc. 

But, more power to you!

Regards,

Todd Little

• 6. Re: Sample of mib in Tuxedo
    Todd Little Expert

Hi,

You can monitor the MIB locally or remotely.  The one thing is that to make most MIB requests, you need to be operating with an appkey equivalent to tpsysadm.  Otherwise you can do pretty much anything remotely as you can locally.  The .TMIB service is just a service.  :-)

Regards,

Todd Little

• 7. Re: Sample of mib in Tuxedo
    darouwan Newbie

Thanks for your reminding. That is true TSAM is impossible for me~ What I want is a simpler monitor tool can be easier for user to monitor the running information of Tuxedo. But TSAM still provides enlighten to me.

• 8. Re: Sample of mib in Tuxedo
    darouwan Newbie

Sounds good. So except the appkey, the other operation is same for local and remote? I want to monitor Tuxed locally firstly, then modify it to satisfy remote monitoring, is it feasible?

• 9. Re: Sample of mib in Tuxedo
    darouwan Newbie

One more question, as MIB is a service, can I use it to monitor Tuxedo via Java? After all, I am familiar with java...These days C/C++ with Tuxedo torment me a lot...I meet many different errors I never met before..

PS: I found BEA Jolt, which maybe useful. But I want to know is there any disadvantages if I use BEA Jolt to access TMIB?,

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points