1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 8:30 PM by Gary Graham-Oracle

4.0EA3 Slow connections and losing open worksheets

James in Berkshire

Hi all,

When I start EA3, opening a first connection to any database is taking 20-30 seconds.  Afterwards, it seems ok - sluggish in general compared to version 3, but usable.  Does anyone know why the first connection would take so long?

Second problem: I usually have a few (saved) worksheets open when I close Sql developer.  In version 4, opening Sql developer does not reopen these for me.  Is this by design?

Thanks all.

• 1. Re: 4.0EA3 Slow connections and losing open worksheets
          Gary Graham-Oracle

Hi Jim,

In version 4, opening Sql developer does not reopen these for me.  Is this by design?

Fixed for the 4.0 production release.

opening a first connection to any database is taking 20-30 seconds.

I haven't done any detailed analysis of this, but it seems more about loading and caching things on the operating system side of the fence than anything else.  For example:

1. Reboot your machine.

2. Open some prior version of SQL Developer, connect to your database, then close SQL Developer.

3. Open 4.0 EA3, connect to your database, then close SQL Developer.

4. Repeat 3.

In my environment, on the first instance of step 3, I do not see the same long lag before connecting, either when expanding that connection's node in the navigator tree or just opening a worksheet directly from its context menu.  I believe I point to the same JDK install in both cases.  And when repeating 3, SQL Developer loads and initializes more quickly due to O/S caching of its jar files.

There are processes that may run at start-up that could slow things down, for example...

1. Check for Updates if you selected the Automatically check for updates at startup checkbox.

2. The automatic ping of all defined connections, especially if you have lots of connections -- but that runs on a separate thread.

Other than those considerations, an occasional disk defrag always helps, and so does having adequate RAM installed to support all concurrently running applications and services without excessive paging/swapping of memory to disk.

Regards,

Gary

SQL Developer Team