6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2014 7:00 AM by user9515760 RSS

sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working

user12140853 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Problem Summary

---------------------------------------------------

Receive error: sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working when attempting to open .sql files

Problem Description

Within SQL Developer 4.0, I've gone into Preferences > File Types, found the .sql extension and checked the box that says Open with SQL Developer.  I've gone to the Set Associations control panel in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and confirmed that the Current Default is set to sqldeveloper64W.  I've used the CMD function to access regedit, deleted the file associations for .sql and set all preferences again.  If SQL developer is not already open on my machine and I attempt to open a .sql file, the application launches fine.  If I try to open additional files from windows explorer or windows search, I get an APPCRASH indicating that sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working.  I click close the program and sql developer remains open, but my file has not opened. 

Error Codes

sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working

• 1. Re: sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working
    Jeff Smith SQLDev PM ACE Moderator

Try changing the shortcut to sqldeveloper64.exe instead. This will give you the CMD window when it opens. Let's see if we get any error messages of interest there when you try to open the additional files.

Once you run SQL Developer once from there - would force us to look for a 64bit JDK, you can then just run the main sqldeveloper.exe in the main folder...

• 2. Re: sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working
    user12140853 Newbie

Thanks for the reply Jeff.  I changed the shortcut (tried both sqldeveloper64.exe and sqldeveloper64w.exe) and opened a .sql file without issue.  When attempting to open a second .sql file, I still receive the sqldeveloper64w.exe has stopped working error.

• 3. Re: sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working
    user12140853 Newbie

After a reboot, it appears that Jeff's advice is working.  Thanks!

• 4. Re: sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working
    IvanG Newbie

So changing the shortcut to sqldeveloper64W.exe and then rebooting seems to work UNTIL you run a previous (32-bit) version of sqldeveloper, at which point trying to open .sql files starts causing the "sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working" error message again. Any idea on how to fix this?

• 5. Re: sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working
    IvanG Newbie

Any word on this? Is nobody else also having this problem?

• 6. Re: sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working
    user9515760 Newbie

I've also tried the workaround described by changing the shortcut to 'sqldeveloper64.exe' but it still crashes (Win7 x64).

A console does indeed appear but it seems it's not single instance in this case. If a double click another file in Explorer, another console opens (it's not reused).

I've tried with both the x64 file (with JDK included) and the other one "no-jre" with separate x64 JDK installed on the machine. It does not seems to make any difference.

I've also tried the new 4.0.1 version hoping that this was fixed - but still no luck.

I've tried attaching the Visual Studio Debugger to the Windows error and got some message about heap corruption, but I'm not sure if it's related to the actual cause.

It's kind of frustrating not being able to double click a sql file from Explorer.

Drag & drop also does not work until at least one worksheet is opened.

The only way to start is by CTRL+O and selecting the first file by hand.

I haven't had time to test this on a 32 bit machine.

A permanent workaround or a fix would be appreciated .

Thanks.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points