9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2013 5:30 PM by Dude! RSS

Oracle 12 on Debian 7: 'oracle' is not created

j4nd3r53n

Hi - I know, of course, that debian is not supported, but I have worked with Oracle for many years, and it generally turns out to be possible. And others have claimed success, so I ought to be able to as well.

I had a few failures when linking, which I believed to have solved, but a number of files ended up with size 0; running relink all fixed some of them, but not 'oracle' itself. How do I relink that one? In fact, all the following have that problem:

dg4pwd expdp extproc impdp oracle rman tnnfg trcldr

There doesn't seem to be a target in the makefiles.

• 1. Re: Oracle 12 on Debian 7: 'oracle' is not created
          Srini Chavali-Oracle

Since you are using an unsupported OS, you will have to troubleshoot these issues on your own, or google for possible solutions. Also, a successful install on an unsupported OS does not guarantee that that software will work as advertised. Assuming this is for personal learning, is there any reason for not using Oracle Linux that is available for free ?

HTH
          Srini

• 2. Re: Oracle 12 on Debian 7: 'oracle' is not created
            j4nd3r53n

Hi Srini,

Why not use Oracle Linux? No reason, really, except that I prefer Debian - I have used it for a long time, and why change, when it suits my needs? I am sure Oracle Linux is a good product - knowing Oracle's database, I would expect so. As for functionality, I know very well that it will work just the same on Debian as on any other Linux.

I have to say, I don't really understand your unwillingness to answer a question that is stated politely and driven by kind interest; that will only lower the respect people in the community feel for you, I'm sure. I think I know Oracle well enough (from >10 years of frequent contact with Oracle support) to know that they are more than willing to explain and help, and why not? It isn't really a secret, and I will find out eventually.

But no matter - perhaps somebody with a friendlier attitude will choose to reply.

• 3. Re: Oracle 12 on Debian 7: 'oracle' is not created
              Srini Chavali-Oracle

I think you are missing the point Since you are using an unsupported OS, expect issues with the Oracle install and use of the Oracle software. You are very unlikely to find expertise with installs on Debian - even if you do, that only solves an immediate issue and not any future ones.

Your other possible option is to install 12c on a Oracle Linux VM running on Virtualbox

HTH
              Srini

• 4. Re: Oracle 12 on Debian 7: 'oracle' is not created
                Dude!

If you know it all so well and are so experienced, why do you have to ask? As far as I can see you were given a professional response and reasonable suggestion. I see no valid reason to attack someone who was tyring to help you and suggesting to use a supported OS. Please keep in mind that nobody here has to respond to your inquiry.

The installation of Oracle database requires a modified developement environment and certain software packages that are obviously different under Debian and Red Hat based Linux distributions, which is why program linking fails.

If I remember correctly, I posted a guide for Debian 6 around Janurary last year, but I cannot find it anymore. Maybe it got lost during the last forum upgrade. I also wrote various other guides to install Oracle 11g and XE under Ubuntu, which could be useful. Unfortuantely, several people have literally copied the information and used it to shine on their own blogs without giving any credit to the information source. Lesson learned.

Searching Google will be your best option. For instance:

Installing Oracle11 and Oracle12 on Debian Wheezy, Squeeze

There are some issues though, probably because some info was simply copied from someone else . For instance, the oracle startup script should use su oracle and not su - oracle, which overwrites local variables, etc.

• 5. Re: Oracle 12 on Debian 7: 'oracle' is not created
                  j4nd3r53n

If you know it all so well and are so experienced, why do you have to ask?

Perhaps I am experienced enough to know to ask? I found the link you mention too; I followed the instructions, but still no luck, so I came to this forum, where I know people are professional and helpful.

I don't think I launched a personal attack on Srini, and as far as I can see from his very calm and measured response, it doesn't seem like he felt insulted either. I did feel that his first response was rather condescending - "Since you are using an unsupported OS, you will have to troubleshoot these issues on your own" sounds to me like saying "What do we care? Just go away." Apart from that, it didn't answer my question: "How do I relink that one [ie. the executable 'oracle' in $ORACLE_HOME/bin]?"

But no matter; having read through the relevant makefile, I found that it works painlessly, if you first follow the instructions in the link you quoted:

Installing Oracle11 and Oracle12 on Debian Wheezy, Squeeze

- then as soon as you get to the first linking error, you add "-lons" to the $ORACLE_HOME/lib/sysliblist and click on "Retry".

• 6. Re: Oracle 12 on Debian 7: 'oracle' is not created
                    Srini Chavali-Oracle

No offense was intended or taken - no hard feelings

I am just curious as to why a number of folks on these forums insist on using unsupported OS/software combinations - especially since supported OS versions are available for free for personal learning purposes, and VM technology is pretty easy and straightforward to deploy and use.

In my mind, this is akin to pouring sugar into my gas tank ( I know it's not supported ! ) to see how far my car travels before it dies.

Srini

Edit - I always assumed that the "sugar in gas tank" story was true - turn out it is not. In any case, the simile still applies !

Message was edited by: Srini_Chavali

• 7. Re: Oracle 12 on Debian 7: 'oracle' is not created
                      Dude!

Many posters just post an error message and expect a solution, regardless of whether the pursued path is actually worth the hassle. I think your recommendation and question is valid, in particular if the original poster does not provide necessary information to evaluate the situation.

Personally I would not want to miss the many benefits of running Oracle in a virtualized environment, such as VirtualBox, even if it was not necessary. Unfortunately however, the use of Enterprise Linux on desktop and laptop system is limited and virtualization is not really an option for hardware that only supports 2 or 4 GB of physical RAM despite of x64 architecture, which is not unusual for Laptop systems. Also, several Intel processors in Laptop systems to not support AMD-v or VT-x hardware assisted virtualization.

• 8. Re: Oracle 12 on Debian 7: 'oracle' is not created
                        j4nd3r53n

Hi Srini,

No, apparently the real way to destroy your car (or somebody else's) is to put the wrong fuel in - diesel in a petrol car e.v.v..

So - why don't I just use Oracle Linux or RHEL? Well, Oracle Linux is a version of RHEL, give or take a few things, or that is the impression I got from when it was branched off from Redhat's Linux; and RHEL is my least favourite Linux. I have worked professionally with Redhat for probably 10 years, now, as a sys admin, and to me it has always been too tied up with Redhat, for one thing, and it has always been so unbelievably awkward to do things that Debian handles with ease - especially package dependencies. I know it's supposed to be much better now, but the damage has been made, in my mind. And there is not a lot reason for me to start using any Redhat derivative at home now; plus, of course, in reality only Redhat's own rpms work reliably on RHEL.

So that's one reason - the other is that getting Oracle to install and run well outside of where it is supported is the mark of a True Nerd. It is something I've liked to do ever since I managed to install Oracle 7 for SCO UNIX on Linux with the help of some compatibility libraries and a bit of manual labour.

• 9. Re: Oracle 12 on Debian 7: 'oracle' is not created
                          Dude!

So you have some reason to run Oracle Database under Debian, which is more or less for fun. I think that's fine and up to you, but to be fair, you could have mentioned that in the first place and avoid the arguing.