6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2013 7:04 AM by sharpe RSS

Using the Sun JRE

sharpe

Hi.  We currently force the use for Java 6, version 22 by placing this code in the formsweb.cfg file:

[code]

### Define the default SUN JRE

### Java Plug-in 6 22

jpi_download_page=http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/

### Parameter related to the version of the Java Plugin

jpi_classid=clsid:CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0022-ABCDEFFEDCBA

jpi_codebase=http://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-6u22-windows-i586.cab#Version=1,6,0,22

jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_22

[code]

If I want to change this confirguration so that users always use the latest version of the Sun JRE, how would I modify this code?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Using the Sun JRE
          CraigB

Change the following settings:

OLD: jpi_classid=clsid:CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0022-ABCDEFFEDCBA

NEW: jpi_classid=clsid:CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA

OLD: jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_22

NEW: jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0

These changes will allow you to use ANY release of Java 1.6, but not Java 1.7.

Craig...

• 2. Re: Using the Sun JRE
            sharpe

Hi.  Thank you so much!

Is there a reason I would want to let users use any version of Java 1.6, but not Java 1.7?  Is it not possible to use the same logic, but to allow the users to use any version of Java 1.7?  Or is it unwise for some reason?

I'm just curious because sometimes my users are automatically prompted to install the latest version of Java, which is version 7, update 45 (I believe).  And when they do that installation then our Web Form applications start to prompt them that they need to install the correct version of the plug-in.  So I uninstall version 7, update 45 and Web Forms is fine again.  Any thoughts on the best way to be handling the Java plug-ins?

• 3. Re: Using the Sun JRE
              dsscott

Only current versions of Forms 11g supports Java 1.7.

• 4. Re: Using the Sun JRE
                CraigB

Is there a reason I would want to let users use any version of Java 1.6, but not Java 1.7?

To my knowledge, there is no way to specify Java 1.6 or 1.7 through the configuration settings in the "formsweb.cfg."  Because of the way the parameter value is formulated, it can be only be set to a specific version (1.6.0_45) or a version family (1.6.0).  Because Java 1.7 is backward compatible with 1.6, your user should be able to have Java 1.7 installed and have your Forms application work.  I have not confirmed this, however, so it is just an educated guess.

Craig...

• 5. Re: Using the Sun JRE
                  HamidHelal

sharpe wrote:

Hi.  Thank you so much!

Is there a reason I would want to let users use any version of Java 1.6, but not Java 1.7?  Is it not possible to use the same logic, but to allow the users to use any version of Java 1.7?  Or is it unwise for some reason?

I'm just curious because sometimes my users are automatically prompted to install the latest version of Java, which is version 7, update 45 (I believe).  And when they do that installation then our Web Form applications start to prompt them that they need to install the correct version of the plug-in.  So I uninstall version 7, update 45 and Web Forms is fine again.  Any thoughts on the best way to be handling the Java plug-ins?

Hello Sharpe,

Good Day. From your post we don't know what is your application server version. guess 10.x.x.x.x as you are talking about JRE 1.6.

JRE 1.7 is not compatible with AS 10.x.x.x.

So, if your user wish to install JRE 1.7, make sure JRE 1.6 also installed in the same pc. Now what can you do ? Yes. you can restrict a web browser to run only selected Java plugins not other one. You can manage this from Add-Ons manage settings.

This restrict user, use specific browser for you application.

Hope this helps

Hamid

• 6. Re: Using the Sun JRE
                    sharpe

What about the parameter I have set like this:

jpi_codebase=http://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-6u22-windows-i586.cab#Version=1,6,0,22

Shouldn't this be updated in some way similar to the two other settings you helped me update?

Any help would be great.  Thanks.

CraigB wrote:

Change the following settings:

OLD: jpi_classid=clsid:CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0022-ABCDEFFEDCBA

NEW: jpi_classid=clsid:CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA

OLD: jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_22

NEW: jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0

These changes will allow you to use ANY release of Java 1.6, but not Java 1.7.

Craig...

Message was edited by: sharpe