This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2013 12:09 PM by PoorFrodo RSS

OVM 3.2.6 Delete Management Network

user9168704 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a way to delete unnecessary management networks. I created an extra vlan and set it as mgmt net for testing purposes. Now I would like to remove it but OVM manger doesn't let me. And it also wouldn't let me change IP addresses inside the management network.

Is there a known workaround for this?

Thanks,

Lotsie

• 1. Re: OVM 3.2.6 Delete Management Network
    PoorFrodo Newbie

The management channel/role cannot be reassigned after the initial install - our Manager really needs to disallow people from creating new networks using this channel or trying to change an existing network with channel assigned to it...

Anyway, the answer really depends on how you created the new "experimental" network using the server management channel.  If you truly aren't using it for any of the servers, then you might begin with removing the IPs from the VLAN segment in VLAN group first.  The VLAN Groups really drive the actual network configurations when you are dealing with VLANs. In fact, you can almost get away with not even creating "networks" in the network tab since 98% of the network config is put into place when you create the VLAN groups (please don't attempt to implement OVM without "networks", I am just using the statement to emphasize the importance of VLAN groups in this case).

Anyway, you should be able to remove the experimental IP addresses for the servers by editing the VLAN group where you added the experimental VLAN segment.  Remove the IP addresses from there and save the modifications to the VLAN group. Then go back to the Networks sub-tab and just delete the network you are no longer using.

I haven't tried this to verify the steps, but it should work

-Greg

• 2. Re: OVM 3.2.6 Delete Management Network
    PoorFrodo Newbie

Oh yeah... this is not directly related to solving your problem, but here are some white papers I wrote on Oracle VM networking that might help you understand networking a little more going forward:

Read this one first:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/vlan-networking-2047178.html

Then read this one:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/networking-ovm-x86-1873548.html

-Greg

• 3. Re: OVM 3.2.6 Delete Management Network
    user9168704 Newbie

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid I have read all the official docs and lots of manuals related to ovm networking so far. As such I am fully aware that once a VLAN tag is associated with the management network the association cannot be broken (at least not officially).

My problem is as follows.

I added a management VLAN during the OVS Server install as suggested in the relevant docs. Then after installing OVM Manager I separated the heartbeat and live migrate channels to their own VLANs. Everything works fine. Then I started to experiment with another network which I created with yet another VLAN tag. This one I marked as a Management + Virtual Machine Network and added some static IPs to it. So far so good. Right now I am trying to remove its management role, but the OVMM won't let me. As you can see this is an extra network marked as management channel, so there is no risk of loosing control of my servers.

The one thing I wouldn't understand is this: if it is intended to have only one management network and not modify it after the initial setup, then why does the GUI let me mark other networks as Mgmt? Also, if I can add several Mgmt networks, then why is it not allowed to delete the unnecessary ones afterwards?

With all these said I was hoping someone could tell me a workaround for this issue.

BR,

Lotsie

• 4. Re: OVM 3.2.6 Delete Management Network
    PoorFrodo Newbie

This doesn't address your real issue, but just let me comment on the poor exception handling you mention in your previous post because I agree with you and complained about in my first reply:

The one thing I wouldn't understand is this: if it is intended to have only one management network and not modify it after the initial setup, then why does the GUI let me mark other networks as Mgmt? Also, if I can add several Mgmt networks, then why is it not allowed to delete the unnecessary ones afterwards?

Apparently, my complaint is no longer valid as it appears the developers fixed this issue way back in 3.1.1.  I was in the process of setting up a similar scenario as yours in one of my labs (a 3.1.1-625 lab) and found that I was not able to create a new network I named "Test server mgmt" using the server management channel - the network wizard stopped me with the following error:

"OVMRU_0010134E: Cannot add vlan segment [network.VlanSegment (922) in Bond2 VLANs] to network [Test server mgmt] because server [myserver4] has management network [Dom0 bond0 SM].

I also encountered the same exception handling in one of my 3.2.6 labs - Oracle VM Manager does not allow people to create a second network using the server mgmt channel if one already exists.

Anyway, this doesn't help with your problem, but it does show that I learn something new every day - I can't complain about that as something we need to improve on any more :-)

Let me do a little more digging to see if I can find you an easy solution...

-Greg

• 5. Re: OVM 3.2.6 Delete Management Network
    PoorFrodo Newbie

So, let me ask you a couple questions:

1. when you created your test server mgmt network, did you remove the server mgmt channel from the original bond0 network that was created during install?
    2. Is there any IP still assigned to the test server mgmt network?
    3. If so, did you try my suggestion of unassigning the IP from the VLAN segment in the VLAN Group first?  This is where you actually make adjustments to Oracle VM networks built using VLANs (not in the Network sub-tab)
    4. Can you post the following:
      1. From one of your Oracle VM Servers: "ls /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts"
      2. From the Oracle VM Manager: type the exact error message you see when you try to delete the test server mgmt VLAN
      3. Which VLAN segment are you using for the test server mgmt network?

-Greg

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points