This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2013 2:03 AM by robinsc RSS

Oracle Application Express on Exadata X-3 Half RAC

gauty Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

We have a 4node Exadata Half Rac Setup running on Oracle 11g Release 2.

And an Exalytics Box running oracle enterprise linux which acts as the middleware for other applications who's data is hosted in the exadata.

We need to install Oracle Application express on exadata. I have a few questions around this:

1) Is the procedure to install apex the same (@apexins.sql?) ?

2) If so, can the oracle http server reside at exalytics and use the apex installation present on exadata?

3) I was told in my exadata training that i am not allowed to install anything like Oracle HHTP Server, web tier or weblogic on exadata. How would I separate the apex installation and middleware installation?

Is it just the details that i enter in dads.conf that needs to be changed?

Regards,

Gautam

• 1. Re: Oracle Application Express on Exadata X-3 Half RAC
    Marc Fielding Journeyer

Hi Gauram,

Exadata systems have a full install of 11gR2.  Although I haven't tried installing Apex on it myself, all the scripts should be there, and should work exactly the same as for any other 11gR2 system.

My understanding is that, while not recommended, HTTP server and web tier components aren't explicitly prohibited from Exadata compute nodes.  There are two major reasons you may not want to do so though:

1. If licensing Oracle per processor, you're paying for database CPU capacity that isn't used for the database at all

2. You'll end up with a configuration very different from 99% of all the other Exadata systems out there, including Oracle development, so may run into bugs not seen before.  Do you really want to be in such a situation?

I'd suggest hosting the app tier outside Exadata, and interconnecting via IP over InfiniBand if you need the network performance.  Exalogic is one option, but far from the only one.

Marc

• 2. Re: Oracle Application Express on Exadata X-3 Half RAC
    robinsc Explorer

in most cases installing anything on the compute nodes that is not part of the exadata channels in linux.oracle.com should be taken very carefully and by informing Oracle beforehand to get their buy in.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points