2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2013 5:35 PM by Vin Steele RSS

4EA3 invalid expression message appears erroneously

Vin Steele

When using the Edit Table popup, I get the following error message when I try to commit a change or navigate to another window than the default column window:

Invalid expression "to_date('2999-12-31','yyyy-mm-dd')". Expected a DATE or TIMESTAMP expression.

This error message pops up referencing an existing default value for an existing column.

This does not happen in version 3.2

• 1. Re: 4EA3 invalid expression message appears erroneously
          Gary Graham-Oracle

Hi Vin,

I do not experience that issue.  When I commit (successfully) after updating a cell of type DATE or TIMESTAMP in a Table data grid, the Message Log shows the format used in the update statement as

TO_DATE('2999-09-04 14:46:13', 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS')

or

TO_TIMESTAMP('2999-09-05 14:46:13.000000000', 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS.FF')

respectively.  Those do not match what I have in my Database > NLS settings, so perhaps NLS settings do not matter.  What is your NLS language setting.  Is there anything else about your environment that may be a factor?

Regards,

Gary

SQL Developer Team

• 2. Re: 4EA3 invalid expression message appears erroneously
            Vin Steele

My apologies for taking so long to respond. My company's email filters appear to have changed, and they filtered out the email notifying me of your response to my question.

I am not aware of anything in my environment that would be a factor.

I am using Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production.

I am now using SQL Developer version 4.0.0.3 on Windows 7 (64-bit).

I still see this problem.  It appears in the Edit Table popup, whether or not I have attempted to make any changes. It appears when I try to navigate to another tab within that window. It is referencing a DEFAULT VALUE that is set for one of the columns of type DATE. The default value contains the "To_date" function. The default value had been added (and works correctly) prior to my use of SQL Developer 4 (Early Adopter or Production).