This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2013 1:54 PM by RMG123 RSS

Trade Spec consumption of other Traded items

RMG123 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

We have situations where trade specs consume other trade specs in our hierarchy.  Most of the time, there is a 1-1 relationship in consumption meaning that we would consume 1 case of a lower level traded item to make 1 case of the higher level traded item.  Frequently, we also consume partial cases of numerous traded items in a parent traded item however the quantity of the lower level item is fixed as a whole number (we cannot use a decimal in the UI).  What is the best way to model the lower level traded item consumption in the parent when the lower level is only partially consumed?  Thx

• 1. Re: Trade Spec consumption of other Traded items
    SDelzell Newbie

So let's talk soda.

- I have one 6 pack as my lowest level of trade spec.

Options:

- If I want to make a 12 pack I could say 2 six packs.  However I do not use the packaging needed to make the six pack when I create a 12 pack. 

- If I wanted to make a 10 pack I would have to say 1 2/3 six packs.  However the system does not allow for this.

- Or for either the 12 or 10 pack I could say it requires 12 or 10 individual consumer units.  Meaning 1 can of soda.  I believe this is the level of detail you need to add to your hierarchy.  Another option would be to point back to the formula that develops the item.

• 2. Re: Trade Spec consumption of other Traded items
    RMG123 Newbie

Steve - Thanks for looking into this.  While your suggestion of using a CU level item would work, its not representative of how the product is built.  This creates two issues:

1) from a data sync perspective, the next lower level item may need to be properly linked to the traded item and not the CU

2) as we work to create integration methods to other systems, we would want to model these hierarchies in a consistent way and not "if consuming a whole number do this and if consuming a fraction do that..."

What system implications would be had if the quantity field of a next lower level item of a trade spec could contain a decimal?  On the surface, that would potentially solve the issue.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points