8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2013 11:19 AM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

EBS Cloning methods

user10702579

Hi,

Just wanted to understand which method is best for EBS cloning in case of 20TB size ASM, RAC EBS instance database.Currently using RMAN online backup.

Priority is on fast method for cloning.

http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/Data_Guard/DG_52.shtml

Regards,

• 1. Re: EBS Cloning methods
          Asif Muhammad

Hi,

With that capacity of data, I would recommend backing the database via RMAN (and either performing a hot or cold cloning as required) as while performing a cold backup requires you to take a backup on parallelism mode, effectively using the Hardware resource. In addition RMAN online backup is intelligent enough to extract the data which is only required and does not backs up unused data.

Please see:

Backing Up the Database

I would second the ongoing cloning method being appropriate. Cloning via cold backup is much simple process, but if you already performing the cloning via hotbackup then that would be the best approach in my personal opinion.

Also see:

Rapid Clone Documentation Resources For Release 11i and 12 (Doc ID 799735.1)

Troubleshooting RAC RapidClone issues with Oracle Applications R12 (Doc ID 1303962.1)

Cloning Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 RAC-Enabled Systems with Rapid Clone (Doc ID 559518.1)

Thanks &

Best Regards,

• 2. Re: EBS Cloning methods
            user10702579

Thanks for your reply.

Just wanted to understand below method for database cloning for same :

Enabling Flashback Database on the Physical Standby Database and using it for Read/write and reverting back to restore point once the work is done.

Pro's and Con's for same.

• 3. Re: EBS Cloning methods
              Asif Muhammad

Hi,

I have not personally performed this task, but let me share my thoughts on this.

Yes, it could be performed as long as the performing action is not going to change any binary files at the Application or Database layer. Since as you must be aware, the flashback database technology is a database technique. If you make any changes at binary level such as patches then this will be problem unless you have a before image of the binary files. But as long as the actions effect the DB transaction component, then this should be very effective method.

Please ensure to run a preclone and follow it up  with a flashback restore point, and consequently perform the intended actions which will probably allow you to restore to a flashback restore point assuming no binary changes have been made.

BTW, just out of curious. Are you having multiple phsycial standby database, because the sole purpose of standby database is to maintain a disaster recovery solution.

Please see: (Not directly relevant but will be helpful )

http://www.oracle.com/us/solutions/sap/wp-ora4sap-flashback11g-1-303814.pdf

Thanks &

Best Regards,

• 4. Re: EBS Cloning methods
                user10702579

Thanks for your reply.

To answer your point, We have only 1 standby database but , after going through below link thought we ahould go for one more standby with flashback enable for cloning method instead of RMAN online clone just to reduce cloning time.

• 5. Re: EBS Cloning methods
                  Asif Muhammad

Hi,

AFAIK, it is one of the recommended step of enabling Flashback database when configuring Oracle Dataguard.

To answer your point, We have only 1 standby database but , after going through below link thought we ahould go for one more standby with flashback enable for cloning method instead of RMAN online clone just to reduce cloning time.

Yes, you may have one physical standby database for Disaster recovery) and maintain a second Standby database for this purpose. But please ensure that you configure the 'Maximum Performance' mode which will be very effective for your requirement.

Thanks for the update!

Cheers &

Best Regards,

• 6. Re: EBS Cloning methods
                    user10702579

Thanks for your suggestion.

But found one more link to avoid burden on Primary, to use cascaded standby which demands database in maximum availability mode.Please advice

http://gavinsoorma.com/2013/05/11g-data-guard-cascading-standby-database/

Also can you advice on Snapshot mirroring method for ASM, RAC instance for faster cloning.

• 7. Re: EBS Cloning methods
                      Asif Muhammad

Hi,

I have not personally not used the Cascaded standby database so I am not in a position to give insight on that.

But I strongly recommend you to raise an SR and get the assistance of Oracle as well.

Thanks &

Best Regards,

• 8. Re: EBS Cloning methods
                        Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

user10702579 wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion.

But found one more link to avoid burden on Primary, to use cascaded standby which demands database in maximum availability mode.Please advice

http://gavinsoorma.com/2013/05/11g-data-guard-cascading-standby-database/

Also can you advice on Snapshot mirroring method for ASM, RAC instance for faster cloning.

I believe it's not supported.

For RAC cloning, please see (Certified RAC Scenarios for E-Business Suite Cloning (Doc ID 783188.1)).

Thanks,

Hussein