This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2013 6:06 PM by Gary Graham RSS

4.0EA3 SQL Worksheet button issues

cspez Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Just reporting a couple minor issues with the SQL Worksheet button in the toolbar.

When using the drop-down arrow, it doesn't scroll the list if it's longer than can fit on the screen. Also, after using the drop-down arrow, either after selecting a database connection or clicking off to make the list go away, the SQL Worksheet button remains highlighted until you click on the button (not the drop-down arrow). This is on Windows 7 64-bit using a 64-bit JDK.

• 1. Re: 4.0EA3 SQL Worksheet button issues
    Gary Graham Expert

Hi cspez,

When using the drop-down arrow, it doesn't scroll the list if it's longer than can fit on the screen

Using 4.0. EA3 on my Windows 7 box, testing with either 32-bit or 64-bit jdk1.7.0_45, the Worksheet toolbar's connection selector drop-down definitely shows a scroll bar on the right edge.  Regardless of how I re-size the entire application or the tabbed pane, it includes 8 connections in the visible scrollable area.   Can you elaborate on your environment and exactly what you see?

the SQL Worksheet button remains highlighted until ...

Not sure what you mean by this.  The only SQL Worksheet "button" I can think of in this context is the Unshared Worksheet icon in the Worksheet's toolbar.  It is not highlighted and clicking on it opens a new unshared worksheet using the same connection details.  Again, please elaborate.

Regards,

Gary

SQL Developer Team

• 2. Re: 4.0EA3 SQL Worksheet button issues
    Gary Graham Expert

Ahhh...  upon review, it seems you are referring to the SQL Worksheet icon in the main toolbar.  Sorry about that!

Comparing 4.0 with 3.2.2 behavior, I see the lack of scroll bar on the drop-down is not a regression, but leaving it highlighted is.   So even though these are, as you say,

a couple minor issues

I will log an enhancement request.  Probably most users navigate through the Connections tree, or use the Connection Selector UI proper rather than the drop-down just to its right side.

Thanks,

Gary

SQL Developer Team

P.S.:  ER 17821722 - CONNECTIONS DROPLIST ON MAIN TOOLBAR FOR NEW WORKSHEET NEVER GETS A SCROLLBAR

Message was edited by: GaryGraham

• 3. Re: 4.0EA3 SQL Worksheet button issues
    user12045796 Newbie
    Probably most users navigate through the Connections tree, or use the Connection Selector UI proper rather than the drop-down just to its right side.

I can confirm that I click the drop-down on the icon on the main toolbar - isn't that the whole point of having it?  The browser pane on the left is usually displaying tables or packages. And my list of connections is too large for the screen so I have to use a different method if I'm trying to open a SQL window to a connection beginning with Z.

e.g. I could click on the button and then use the drop-down (with a scroll-bar) on the dialog that opens, but usually that's an extra mouse click for no reason and it makes it pointless having a drop-down on the main button.

Asking around at work, some people use different methods, but largely because this one doesn't work reliably.

And as mentioned the button remains highlighted - looks extremely tacky.

• 4. Re: 4.0EA3 SQL Worksheet button issues
    Alan Lawlor Explorer

cspez

I don't understand - when I click on the icon's dropdown, it shows all 30 of my database connections (no scrollbar as you say) - not limited to 8 connection?

Alan

• 5. Re: 4.0EA3 SQL Worksheet button issues
    Jeff Smith SQLDev PM ACE Moderator
    Also, after using the drop-down arrow, either after selecting a database connection or clicking off to make the list go away, the SQL Worksheet button remains highlighted until you click on the button (not the drop-down arrow).

I'm not seeing this in our latest build...

• 6. Re: 4.0EA3 SQL Worksheet button issues
    Gary Graham Expert

Alan,

The SQL Worksheet icon in SQL Developer's main toolbar has left and right-side parts.  Clicking on the left-side SQL icon opens a Select Connection dialog with a Connection drop-down list.  That list is scrollable and shows a maximum of 8 connection names (at least that's the case in my environment).  The right-side drop-down arrow displays a simple list without a scroll bar and displays only as many visible connections as fit on the screen.  If you employ the up/down arrow cursor keys to navigate that list you will see it is possible to access the non-visible connections off-screen too, but without being able to tell which connection has the focus once you move off the visible portion of the screen.

The other way to access a scrollable list of connections (with up to 8 visible at a time) is to use the Connection drop-down list on the right side of an open Worksheet's toolbar.  The currently open connection name for that worksheet appears in the box, otherwise it is blank.

Hope this clarifies the comments in the prior posts,

Gary

SQL Developer Team

• 7. Re: 4.0EA3 SQL Worksheet button issues
    Gary Graham Expert

Jeff,

Possibly this button highlighting issue is related to some glitch in the user settings migration.  Using a recent Dev build (say 4.0.0.13.70 or higher) and not migrating settings but just creating a connection or importing a connections xml export, then there is no highlighting issue.  However, nuking the system4.0.0.13.70 directory and repeating with settings migration from 3.2 production or 4.0 EA3 both show this issue.

I actually saved these two versions of system4.0.0.13.70 with "mig" and "nomig" prefixes. Switching between them consistently alters the highlighting behavior.  If you do not see this behavior after a settings migration, then perhaps you are just blessed with "cleaner" settings than mine.

-Gary

Just in case my test case of "mig" versus "nomig" is flawed,  I logged a bug:

Bug 17938965 - ESC LEAVES WORKSHEET BUTTON HIGHLIGHTED IF LONG DROP-DOWN LIST CONCEALS ICON

Message was edited by: GaryGraham