This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2013 3:40 AM by juliojgs RSS

Display Item not showing Text when form is opened in Forms 6i

bootstrap Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I am using Oracle Forms 6i & I have taken DisplayItem control on a canvas and want to show some text over that e.g., "Your Name". For that I set 'Initial Value' property of that control in Property Palette to "Your Name". But I am not getting any such text message when I run the form nor it is coming at form design time. Can anyone please let me know where I am missing and how to display text in forms using DisplayItem control?

Can you also suggest from where to learn these basic things about Oracle Forms 6i?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Display Item not showing Text when form is opened in Forms 6i
    juliojgs Explorer

Probably the block is not initialized. There are two solutions:

1. Asign the value in a when-new-form-instance trigger.

2. Initialize the record navigating to the block with go_block

You should look for a forms tutorial

• 2. Re: Display Item not showing Text when form is opened in Forms 6i
    indra budiantho Expert

Form is a 'Navigation' Oriented program. Much time you must put the code 'go_block' just to make your code work s. In addition to Julio, drag your block containing the display item as the 'most top block'.

• 3. Re: Display Item not showing Text when form is opened in Forms 6i
    bootstrap Newbie

Hi,
    Thanks for reply.

@juliojgs : DisplayText's value was initialized in W-N-F-I trigger like this :

:ITEM27 := 'This is test data';

But still I have some doubts.
    Can I initialize this object using Property Palette? If not why so?

can you please tell how to use go_block & where to call this method?

Can you please provide some good resources on Forms 6i? I digged internet but didn't got any resource on Forms 6i. Please help.

@indrabudiantho : Display Text background is visible. but I am not getting the text over that. Can you please tell what you mean by dragig the block?

Regards,

• 4. Re: Display Item not showing Text when form is opened in Forms 6i
    rgvg Explorer

perhaps you are looking for the "Prompt" property. For instance, if you want the screen to show "Your Name" before the actual value, like "Your Name John Smith" if your name is john smith.

The prompt can be at the start (left) of the display item or above it (top).

or am i not understanding your question properly?

• 5. Re: Display Item not showing Text when form is opened in Forms 6i
    juliojgs Explorer

bootstrap escribió:

Can I initialize this object using Property Palette? If not why so?

can you please tell how to use go_block & where to call this method?

Yes, just as you did with the initial value property, but you have to "initialize" the record in that block. Navigating in runtime to the block is a way to achieve that, so you have to put the "focus" in the block with built-in GO_BLOCK . For example, in the W-N-F-I trigger.

Another way to put the focus there, as indrabudiantho sugested, is dragging the block to the topmost place in the list of block in design time. Thus, when you enter your form in runtime, the focus will go to the first navigable item in the first block as defined at design time.

About the resource docs, I think there was a "Oracle forms developer guide" bundled in paperback with a quite old version of the product which wasn't too bad. Not the "forms builder reference" , which is more or less the online forms help, but the guide. Also, there must be commercial books about forms & reports.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points