This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2013 12:19 AM by user1158772 RSS

No Oracle Developer Tools and Datasources for VS2012 Update 3

user1158772 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all

I am using VS2012 Update 3 and I have installed Oracle 11.2.0.3.20 32 bit successfully. Unfortunately, the tools are not showing up in the VS About Dialog, nor do I have the Oracle Datasources in VS.

Any help appreciated.

Juerg

• 1. Re: No Oracle Developer Tools and Datasources for VS2012 Update 3
    user1158772 Newbie

I also tested wit Version 12.1.0.1. The VS tools worked, but this version was not working with our tnsnames.ora which is referenced via ifile. I have installed this driver version before the 11.2.0.3.20. Eventually this was the problem. Also I have reinstalled the 12.1.0.1 version again and no datasources and tools are available.

• 2. Re: No Oracle Developer Tools and Datasources for VS2012 Update 3
    Christian.Shay - Oracle Pro

First of all, please make sure you were using this file:

ODTwithODAC1120320_32bit.zip

From: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/utilsoft-086879.html

Other 32 bit downloads do not include integration with the tools.

Second of all, I would recommend instead that you resolve your problem with ODT 12.1 since many new features have been added in that version. (What is an "ifile")?

• 3. Re: No Oracle Developer Tools and Datasources for VS2012 Update 3
    user1158772 Newbie

Hi Christian

Thanks for reply. Yes I did install this exact version. The funny thing is that I can open a project in VS2012 (created in VS2010 with the 11.2.0.3 version on an other box) on my machine and the VS2012 EF designer opens correctly when double clicking on the .edmx file. The Oracle Client data providers however do not show up ( and therefore I cannot recreate the model from the database). Also the About dialog does not contain the VS Oracle tools. Build and run however works, as well deployment to an IIS/R2008 server where 11.2.0.3 is installed. 

The ifile is a parameter in the tnsnames.ora file to reference other tnsnames.ora. That is the way we reference the company wide tnsnames.ora on a shared drive. This does not work in the 12.1 ODT version.

http://oracleprofessional.blogspot.ch/2007/05/using-ifile-to-centralise-tnsnamesora.html

IMHO the uninstalling of the 12.1 and reinstalling 11.2.0.3 somehow screwed up the registry or whatever. I am quite familiar with VS and also the command line switches, I did all I could (/resetsettings, etc), but nothing helped. Also a repair of VS2012 did not help. After the not working 11.2.0.3 I tried to reinstall 12.1, but with no success. I always did an uninstall and a reboot in between each installation/uninstallation.

Another question, this installer looks a bit outdated, did Oracle ever think about using newer ways of providing such an installer ( NuGet, and/or vsix) ?

Kind regards

Juerg

• 4. Re: No Oracle Developer Tools and Datasources for VS2012 Update 3
    Christian.Shay - Oracle Pro

Are you by any chance using the Express Edition of VS 2012? The Express Editions do not support "add-ins" and ODT is an add-in.

If IFILE is not working you can try setting TNS_ADMIN in the environment if using the unmanaged provider, and in the machine config, if using the managed provider.

We are considering supporting nuget, but we will likely only provide it on OTN, rather than on nuget.org due to legal issues.

• 5. Re: No Oracle Developer Tools and Datasources for VS2012 Update 3
    user1158772 Newbie

Hi Christian

Thanks for your answer, we are using currently VS Professional only, but will soon switch to Premium or Ultimate. Express versions are not used at all.

We are only using the managed provider. Using machine.config is difficult as it requires admin privileges for editing. Furthermore the global tnsnames.ora is managed by a different team.

Does the ODTwithODAC package look at any environment variables, except PATH? I have checked the PATH variable and it was always set correctly to the right version.

Glad to hear about your NuGet plans!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points