This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2013 2:54 AM by pbell RSS

Folder/Public Folder - What is the maximum file size before the URL created no longer works

MiriamBrace - Oracle Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I have received links to files in beehive folder, where the URL will not load as the file name is to long and it's reach some type of maximum display limit for the URL.

Is there a maximum document file name length before the URL hit some type of cut of point?

For example if the document is in a folder, within a folder, within a folder and then the file name, how long can the file name be or how many folders can you go down to in the document area before some type of cut of limit is reached.

I will locate the example as I am seeing this a lot when the URL comes from a specific team and there seem to be a lot of folders within folders.

There was nothing in the documentation that I could find - Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Folder/Public Folder - What is the maximum file size before the URL created no longer works
    dschroe_de Newbie

very interesting, I seem to have a similar issue. about a year ago, it did not seem to be an issue - and suddenly it is.

• 2. Re: Folder/Public Folder - What is the maximum file size before the URL created no longer works
    MiriamBrace - Oracle Journeyer

Thanks for the reply, you are right its like there is a maximum depth of folders and names in Oracle Beehive and once you pass that limit the URL no longer works. I have noticed removing some of the sub folders works - but then doing that causes a lot of rework in re planning the folder layout for my project.

It would be good if there was something in the Oracle Beehive Documentation that discussed how the URLs for folders are established and what are the limits to the number of folders and names used.

I will keep asking around at Oracle to see if I can find a solution, thanks for your reply as now I know it's more than just me experiencing this issue.

• 3. Re: Folder/Public Folder - What is the maximum file size before the URL created no longer works
    dschroe_de Newbie

Miriam, please, keep me (us) updated on what you can find out. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Folder/Public Folder - What is the maximum file size before the URL created no longer works
    pbell Pro

Miriam,

The length of the URL is the critical factor in the access to the sub-folders - we have had issues with users having very long folder names without a great depth of folders. There is no actual limit on the depth of the folder structure - I just created 10 folders nested below the Documents area- admittedly the folder names were Documents>1>2>3>4>5>6>7>8>9>10. In the bug database there have been issues where the depth has been up to 50, though the issue has been mainly due to the time taken to get the details of the deep nesting not the actual number of nested folders. In practice a limit of 30 seems to be the point at which the performance can deteriorate so that is the limit we would advise.

The client used seems to have an influence as well. IE has a limit on the URL of 2048 but it does not seem to be this limit that is hit so there is probably a cut-off at the lower number in the handler. The other clients webDAV, OBEE, OBEO and the Desktop Integration Server supplied with WebCenter have different reactions to deeply nested folders.

However there was a proposed fix, for a future version which will not now appear, in OBEO and OBEE to report an error if you wanted more than nested 30 folders , though you could go as deep as 50 if the folder names were limited.

My advice - keep the folder names as short as you can and try other clients - which all work on BeehiveOnline as well as stbeehive as the depth that can be handled is client dependent.

Phil

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points