This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2013 9:55 AM by Bradwashere RSS

Customized boot cd

Bradwashere Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Greetings,

I have been attempting to build a custom boot cd for my Sun Fire X4170 so I can use custom scripts.  I currently have a bootable CD with the custom scripts loaded, but it is for the sparc platform.  I need to pull the scripts off of that CD and move to a newly made CD that will boot the X_86 platform.  I have been working from this document:

http://learningsolaris.com/docs/custom-cd-dvd-x86.pdf

After completing the steps defined in the above article and reboot using the freshly burned .iso the server seems to try to boot off of the cd but just gets to a point where is is sitting at a blank screen with a flashing cursor.  There is no prompt and I can't type anything at that point.

I feel I am not putting the right files into the "my.miniroot".

Has anyone attempted this or have any insight on what I should try next?

Thanks for any help,

Brad

• 1. Re: Customized boot cd
    ColinS-2 Newbie

Ooooo, that's a quite an old document. Do you absolutely need to use Solaris 10?  If not, you may want to consider using Solaris 11 and the new Distro Constructor functionality which allows you to create your own customized Solaris 11 distro which you can then use to boot from CD, USB (x86 only at the mo) and even over the network via AI.

• 2. Re: Customized boot cd
    Bradwashere Newbie

I do have to use Solaris 10, but the good news is I got it to work.  The key for me was using /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive utilty.  I was able to unpack the sparc miniroot using a sparc system, and unpack the x_86_miniroot on an x86 platform.  That allowed me to modify the neccesary files on the x86 miniroot.  I was then able to repack the miniroot and create the iso image.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points