5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2013 10:55 AM by MVM RSS

Trigger

Moazam Shareef

I have two date column date-1 and date2 on a tubular block which trigger i have to use to insert date-1 data into date2 column with below format?

BLK.DATE2:=TO_DATE('BLK.DATE-1', 'DD-MON-YYYY');

Regards

• 1. Re: Trigger
          MLBrown

If both items are defined as dates then you do not need to use the TO_DATE function.  Also, don't use "-1" since that means subtract 1.  Use an underscore instead.  With that said your logic would look something like this:

:BLK.DATE2 := :BLK.DATE_1;

• 2. Re: Trigger
            MVM

Hi,

Both date fields DATE_1 and DATE2 should have datatype as DATE and apply the format mask in property palette as 'DD-MON-YYYY' / 'DD-MON-RRRR'.

Now if you are entering date in DATE_1 field and want to have same in DATE2, you can do the assignment

:BLK.DATE2 := :BLK.DATE_1;

on when-validate-item trigger of BLK.DATE_1.

This is better if you are showing both date fields on screen.

If DATE2 is hidden, you can have the assignment on PRE-INSERT trigger of BLK datablock.

This will ensure that you are inserting same value in date fields.

Another method is use synchronize with item property for DATE2.

Hope this helps.

• 3. Re: Trigger
              Moazam Shareef

Thanks MVM.

I import data from excel to forms i took date data as char into date1 which import sucessfully i want to convert those import date data into another item which is date datatype i tried the below codes on PRE-INSERT block level trigger but fail to achieve.

:BLK.DATE:=:BLK.DATE1

:BLK.DATE:=TO_DATE('BLK.DATE1', 'DD/MON/YYY');

SELECT BLK.DATE1 INTO :BLK.DATE FROM DUAL;

how can i achive the task.

• 4. Re: Trigger
                Priyasagi

:blk.date:=to_date(:blk_date1,'DD-MON-YYYY');

• 5. Re: Trigger
                  MVM

Hi,

When importing date data as char - import it into a new item BLK.DATE1_CHAR, ensure that BLK.DATE1_CHAR is CHAR item and Non-database item.

The item BLK.DATE1 is DATE item and Database item and having format mask 'DD/MON/YYY'

And BLK.DATE is ofcourse DATE item and Database item and having format mask 'DD/MON/YYY'

Now on PRE-INSERT of BLK block, do the following:

:BLK.DATE1:=TO_DATE('BLK.DATE1_CHAR', 'DD/MON/YYY'); -- CHAR data to DATE and assign to DATE

:BLK.DATE:=:BLK.DATE1;-- copy DATE to another DATE;

This will ensure that you are inserting DATE in date fields (Note: DATE1 and DATE are columns in table with DATE datatype)

I dont understand the purpose of your last SELECT statement. Please explain.