This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2013 9:31 PM by 994122 RSS

cannot see fields in canvas

994122 Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I add sub class information to blocks , items and buttons. When i ran the form in application it shows only prompts not shows item fields

can any one suggest what is happen here

Thank you

• 1. Re: cannot see fields in canvas
    juliojgs Explorer

check item sizes, subclassing can do odd things with properties undefined in the class.

• 2. Re: cannot see fields in canvas
    994122 Journeyer

Hi juliojgs,

I checked sizes on items everything is fine, can i add sub class information in Template.fmb, please suggest me?

Thank you

• 3. Re: cannot see fields in canvas
    CraigB Guru

How do the items on your canvas appear in the Forms Builder?  Where are you running your form from (Application Server or from the Forms Builder)?

When you subclass an item you are basically telling the item to inherit a common set of properties from a source object.  This source object (be it a template.fmb or an Object Library (.olb)) must exist in the FORMS_PATH on the computer where the forms executable is created.  This being the case, I recommend you confirm that the source object of your Property Classes is in a directory listed in your FORMS_PATH.

If you are compiling and running your form from the Forms Builder, you will need to ensure the FORMS_PATH in the Windows Registry and in the default.env is updated to include the directory where your source object exists.

Also, while not required, it is extreamly helpful if you always include your Forms version when you post a question.

Hope this helps,

Craig...

• 4. Re: cannot see fields in canvas
    994122 Journeyer

Hi Craig,

Sorry for late update,

CraigB wrote:

How do the items on your canvas appear in the Forms Builder?  Where are you running your form from (Application Server or from the Forms Builder)?

When you subclass an item you are basically telling the item to inherit a common set of properties from a source object.  This source object (be it a template.fmb or an Object Library (.olb)) must exist in the FORMS_PATH on the computer where the forms executable is created.  This being the case, I recommend you confirm that the source object of your Property Classes is in a directory listed in your FORMS_PATH.

If you are compiling and running your form from the Forms Builder, you will need to ensure the FORMS_PATH in the Windows Registry and in the default.env is updated to include the directory where your source object exists.

Also, while not required, it is extreamly helpful if you always include your Forms version when you post a question.

Hope this helps,

Craig...

I am running your form from Application Server and My Template.fmb exist in FORMS_PATH on the computer where the forms executable is created. Everything is fine

Please suggest me what is the problem

Thank you

• 5. Re: cannot see fields in canvas
    juliojgs Explorer

From my experience, this is how subclassing works:

When you open your form with the builder, at design time, it loads the subclass source (fmb or olb) and fills your item properties with them.

In that moment, if template.fmb is not in the path, you will get a warning and lose your property values.

I supose you are not getting that warning, so everything is ok.

Then you generate your fmx according to that property values, and from then on, this values are stone carved in the fmx unrelated to the source. You don't need to take your template file to the deployment folder. Also, generating a template.fmx would be useless.

Your problem can't be hard to find. The question is: Are the items showing correctly in the canvas at design time and display property is true? In this case, I can think only in two possibilities:

Either you are hiding the items at runtime via set_item_property (changing item size, display property, canvas ... whatever makes an item disappear)

or you are not generating the fmx with the builder at that very same moment.

You claim that you can see the prompts. Are you sure they are prompts and not boilerplate canvas objects?

• 6. Re: cannot see fields in canvas
    CraigB Guru

Where are you compiling your Forms executable (.fmx) - your PC or the AS?

@ juliojgs, you are correct, the source objects are only used during design or during compilation.  Once compiled, the subclassed objects are part of the Forms Executable.  I've seen the problem the OP is describing and in all circustances, the fix was related to the source object not being found at the time the fmx was compiled or when the form is loaded into the Forms Builder.

Craig...

• 7. Re: cannot see fields in canvas
    994122 Journeyer

Hi juliojgs,

1. Your problem can't be hard to find. The question is: Are the items showing correctly in the canvas at design time and display property is true? In this case, I can think only in two possibilities:
    2. Either you are hiding the items at runtime via set_item_property (changing item size, display property, canvas ... whatever makes an item disappear) or you are not generating the fmx with the builder at that very same moment.
    3. You claim that you can see the prompts. Are you sure they are prompts and not boilerplate canvas objects?

"Every thing is  fine and done also what u are  posted at the above post"

Thank You.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points