4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2013 3:35 PM by Mbrandl-Oracle

SQL Developer v4 is now production :)

thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Because the announcements are easy to overlook, just a quick note - version 4.0 is no longer available as an Early Adopter. It's officially released as of this morning.

Thanks everyone - tens of thousands of downloads, hundreds of bug reports and enhancement requests - you truly did help make version 4.0 a much stronger release.

We'll be monitoring the forums, support, etc. for issues per usual.

• 1. Re: SQL Developer v4 is now production :)
          FlyingGuy

Hmmm, Interesting..

I downloaded the "early adopter" version yesterday and:

1. It froze when compiling a package.

2. Map View is no longer able to be "un-docked"

3. The map view point geom still displays so large as to be completely un-usable ( you didn't add the feature that allows you to size the point).

4. The overall look and feel seems degraded in order to look more "web-like" I think?

In summary it looks like you guys spent a lot of time trying to make the interface look "different" and this was enough to make me revert back to 3.2.2

Feel free to contact me if you would like constructive feedback.

• 2. Re: SQL Developer v4 is now production :)
            thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Points 2 and 3 should be addressed to the Spatial and Graph team - they provide the extension that handles all of that functionality inside of SQL Developer.

1. A lot changed between the last EA and the final GA build. Get today's build and try again. Let me know what happens - in a new thread.

4. Not sure what this means. The window rendering is sharper, document tabs can be reordered like in a web browser. Of course this is more of a subjective opinion, but I personally prefer the look of v4 over v3.

• 3. Re: SQL Developer v4 is now production :)
              RichS

Jeff,

Great to see it. I was anxious to introduce SQL Developer 4.0 in my Oracle SQL Fundamentals Classes, but it appears that the build was done on Linux 6 and my classes are currently being conducted on Oracle Linux 5...

The install gives me the following:

error: Failed dependencies:

rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1 is needed by sqldeveloper-4.0.0.13.80-1.noarch

rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by sqldeveloper-4.0.0.13.80-1.noarch

A yum update rpm (leveraging the public yum server) doesn't update rpm enough to get me where rpm needs to be...

I found this (paraphrased) on a site somewhere:

• Linux 5 and earlier cannot install RPM packages built on Linux 6.
              • Trying to install packages built on Linux6 on an older release will give errors as follows: # rpm -i testpkg-1.0-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
                error: Failed dependencies:
                  rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1 is needed by testpkg-1.0-1.el6.x86_64
                  rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by testpkg-1.0-1.el6.x86_64
              • Disabling the dependency checking (a bad idea!) will give more obscure errors: # rpm -i --nodeps testpkg-1.0-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
                error: unpacking of archive failed: cpio: Bad magic

# rpm -i --nodeps another-testpkg-1.0-2.el6.x86_64.rpm
                error: unpacking of archive failed on file /tmp/testpkg1.txt;4cb5bdd2: cpio: MD5 sum mismatch

Any chances we'll be able to get something that will install on Oracle Linux 5?

Thanks,

Rich

• 4. Re: SQL Developer v4 is now production :)
                Mbrandl-Oracle

Hi Rich,

I got the same problem after trying to install  SQLDev 4.0.0.13 under OL 5.10 64-bit via the RPM.

As a workaound I used the sqldevloper-4.0.0.13-no-jre.zip which is downloadable here http://download.oracle.com/otn/java/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper-4.0.0.13.80-no-jre.zip

It's actually the "other platform" package but works for me in most cases.

First, make sure you have the newest Oracle Java JDK 7 installed. The RPM http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/7u45-b18/jdk-7u45-linux-x64.rpm works pretty fine.

1. rpm -ihv jdk-7u45-linux-x86.rpm

2. alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/java/latest/bin/java 10 --slave /usr/bin/keytool keytool /usr/java/latest/bin/keytool --slave /usr/bin/rmiregistry rmiregistry /usr/java/latest/bin/rmiregistry

3. alternatives --set java /usr/java/latest/bin/java

4. alternatives --config java   -> Choose the 2nd selection which points to /usr/java/latest/bin/java

5. Check if Java 7 is working with java -version

Secondly unpack the SQLDev-Zip-File in the $HOME directory of a choosen user (e.g oracle) and give executable rights to the sqldeveloper.sh

1. unzip sqldeveloper-4.0.0.13.80-no-jre.zip

2. chmod +x ~/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper.sh

Now, start SQLDEV

3. ~/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper.sh