2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2013 10:43 PM by Ramesh DBA RSS

pga on both nodes different

user11221081 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

i am monitoring a 2 node rac and observing that pga on both set is different.is it fine.

also
please give me some ideas to check performance and health of rac database

also alert showing as

WARNING: Heavy swapping observed on system in last 5 mins.

pct of memory swapped in [22.99%] pct of memory swapped out [0.00%].

Please make sure there is no memory pressure and the SGA and PGA

are configured correctly. Look at DBRM trace file for more details.

i have googled this warning..it seems some bug.is that ok

• 1. Re: pga on both nodes different
    Anar Godjaev Expert

Hi welcome to OTN form,

Bug 10220118 - Print warning to alert log when system is swapping (Doc ID 10220118.8)

See more : WARNING: Heavy Swapping Observed On System In Last 5 Mins.After upgrade to 11.2.0.3 [ID 1452790.1] Support note

From metalink:

The same issues could have been happening on 11.2.0.2 but they simply would not have been reported.

There is no cause for concern and we suggest that the databases are just monitored as usual.

If you look in the alert log, you will see that the message does not happen every hour.

If SWAP was causing any serious issue we could also see ORA-4031/ORA-4030 and would then be able to use the DBRM trace in conjunction with obtaining further diagnostics.

Thank you

• 2. Re: pga on both nodes different
    Ramesh DBA Newbie

Please find the below answers for your questions:

1)i am monitoring a 2 node rac and observing that pga on both set is different.is it fine.

Dependent on the load we can increase/decrease the value of PGA. It is not mandatory both nodes should have same value.

2)please give me some ideas to check performance and health of rac database.

Database level: Use GV$Session ( Ex :EVENT,LAST_CALL_ET,BLOCKING_INSTANCE,BLOCKING_SESSION columns). --

OS level: We can use topas (to check  CPU usage and os process which is consuming high cpu ) and nmon (to check memory usage)--- This commands for AIX server.

Glance -- HP UX

sar   -- linux

Grid level: crsctl stat res -t

Crsctl check crs

Oracle Enterprise manager : We can check Top Activity (Performance --> Top Activity)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points