5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 2:48 PM by Arpod

Bug in SQLDeveloper 4.0 database copy: terminator symbol

Arpod

Greetings.

When copying database packages from one connection to another, terminator symbol ('/') sometimes gets appended right after "END;", without any preceding newlines. Because of that, terminator symbol ends up being the last symbol in the created package spec and/or body, thus preventing it from compiling.

Database export to worksheet and compiling on another connection could be used as a workaround, but a working "copy" option still wouldn't hurt.

• 1. Re: Bug in SQLDeveloper 4.0 database copy: terminator symbol
          Kuzhao-Oracle

Sorry, I checked and couldn't reproduce it in released build 4.0.0.13.80. After using database copy packages, all are copied fine and terminator symbol ("/") will be in next newline after "END;" in copy log. And open the copied packages, they are same like the source packages. Could you provide more info, e.g.build version, or some special setting? Thanks.

• 2. Re: Bug in SQLDeveloper 4.0 database copy: terminator symbol
            Arpod

Thank you for your reply. I figured out the steps to reproduce that bug - the cause is trailing whitespace in the last line of package

Go to worksheet and execute the following statement:

create or replace PACKAGE TEST_PACK is

END TEST_PACK;

Notes:

• There should be a trailing space character(s) after "END TEST_PACK;" line;
            • "END TEST_PACK;" should be the last line
            • the statement must be executed from worksheet, as package editor seems to trim the trailing whitespace upon compilation.

Now just select "Database Copy" and copy the "TEST_PACK"  package. I got the following result:

--- START --------------------------------------------------------------------
              DROP PACKAGE "TEST_PACK";

package "TEST_PACK" dropped.

--- END --------------------------------------------------------------------
            set define off;

--------------------------------------------------------
            -- DDL for Package TEST_PACK

CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE "TEST_PACK" is

END TEST_PACK; /

PACKAGE TEST_PACK compiled
            Errors: check compiler log

As you can see, terminator character('/') got appended right after 'END TEST_PACK; ', which caused compilation error.

• 3. Re: Bug in SQLDeveloper 4.0 database copy: terminator symbol
              Kuzhao-Oracle

Thanks for your reproduce steps. Yes, I can see your issue. But I followed your steps and still couldn't reproduce. Sorry, I think maybe there is something else wrong. Please clarify me if I misunderstand the steps. Thanks.

Using released build 4.0.0.13.80 with JDK 1.7.0_45 (64bit) on Win7. Steps:

• Run below statement in CopySrc worksheet (Including a trailing space character after 'END TEST_PACK;' and make sure it is the last line)

create or replace PACKAGE TEST_PACK is

END TEST_PACK;

• Open just created TEST_PACK package, use mouse to select all the code and we can find the code with white space. (Don't compile or run, only just view)
              • Then using "Database Copy" to copy the "TEST_PACK"  package to destination connection CopyDes. I got result as

set define off;

--  DDL for Package TEST_PACK

CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE "TEST_PACK" is

END TEST_PACK;

/

PACKAGE TEST_PACK compiled

--- END ----------------------------------------------------

• Check the package in CopyDes. It is there and the code with white space.
              • 4. Re: Bug in SQLDeveloper 4.0 database copy: terminator symbol
                dz_r

Hi,

When the source database is 10g (10.2.0.4.0) I'm experiencing the same problem as Arpod.

When the source database is 11g (11.2.0.1.0) there is no problem.

• 5. Re: Bug in SQLDeveloper 4.0 database copy: terminator symbol
                  Arpod

Hello.

Thanks for clarification. I also work in 10g - it's probably a db-version-specific bug.