4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2014 1:33 AM by Rajasekhar Amudala-Oracle RSS

benefit of rebalance

user11153253

Hi folks,

what are benefit of rebalance in ASM?

thanks & regards.

• 1. Re: benefit of rebalance
          Natik Ameen

Re-balancing is a feature wherein when a disk is added or removed from a diskgroup, the content is equally spread across all the available disks (which form the diskgroup). Re-balancing usually takes place after disks have been added or removed. This way disk redundancy is restored once again when a disk failed and a new one had to be added. When more space is required in a diskgroup, disks are added and rebalance takes place as well. This also help increase the throughput as disks are added to the logical diskgroup and content now is balanced and accessed from all across the disks.

• 2. Re: benefit of rebalance
            Ramesh DBA

Rebalancing  a disk group moves data between disks to ensure that every file is evenly spread across all of the disks in a disk group.

When all of the files are evenly dispersed, all of the disks are evenly filled to the same percentage; this ensures load balancing.

The below are the benefits of load balancing:here

* It will decrease the I/O contention on the disk.(Because the data is equally spread to all the disks..).Without Rebalacing concept one disk may have high I/O and one disk may have less I/O

*It will improve the performance.(No need to scan entire file because  file is evenly spread across all of the disks in a disk group).

Thanks

Ramesh.D

• 3. Re: benefit of rebalance
              Baris Yildirim

Hi,

I think you should read Oracle storage admin guide.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e18951.pdf

Regards

• 4. Re: benefit of rebalance
                Rajasekhar Amudala-Oracle

Hi,

ASM Rebalancing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Rebalancing" is the process of moving file extents onto or off of disks for the purpose of evenly distributing the I/O load of the diskgroup

It occurs asynchronously in the background and can be monitored

In a clustered environment, rebalancing for a disk group is done within a single ASM instance only and cannot be distributed across multiple cluster node to speed it up

ASM will automatically rebalance data on disks when disks are added or removed

The speed and effort placed on rebalancing can be controlled via a POWER LIMIT setting

POWER LIMIT controls the number of background processes involved in the rebalancing effort and is limited to 11.  Level 0 means no rebalancing will occur

I/O performance is impacted during rebalancing, but the amount of impact varies on which disks are being rebalanced and how much they are part of the I/O workload.  The default power limit was chosen so as not to impact application performance

Thanks,

Rajasekhar