8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2014 6:21 AM by 864019 RSS

How many pll can I attach to a form

Hi All,

As per our requirement we are bringing back end business logic into Oracle forms pll. All the backend code will be now moved to pll.

I want to know how many pll's or what is the max size of the pll's allowed to attach to a form? Will there any be performance impact compare to backend logic?

Thanks in advance,

maddy

• 1. Re: How many pll can I attach to a form
          Andreas Weiden

What is the reason behind this requirement? Is exactly the opposite of what i (and many others) would suggest to do.

Code in the backend (and i suppose that "backend" means "oracle db") is reusable by other possible applications, and will be faster if it comes to data related tasks like insert, update, delete.

• 2. Re: How many pll can I attach to a form

Yes there would be a big issue of context switching of pl/sql engine to sql engine and sql engine to pl/sql engine.In this case you should use bulk binding.You may attach lots of pll with your form.

• 3. Re: How many pll can I attach to a form
              Andreas Weiden

Context switching between PL/SQL and SQL could be a problem if everything happens inside the database. If the code reside in the middle-tier, this should be not the main problem.

• 4. Re: How many pll can I attach to a form
                HamidHelal

864019 wrote:

Hi All,

As per our requirement we are bringing back end business logic into Oracle forms pll. All the backend code will be now moved to pll.

I want to know how many pll's or what is the max size of the pll's allowed to attach to a form? Will there any be performance impact compare to backend logic?

Thanks in advance,

maddy

hello maddy,

If your business logic have sql and at database side it would might not work at form level.

For example with clause sql.

Hamid

• 5. Re: How many pll can I attach to a form

Thanks to all for the responses.

Our requirement is to bring all the business logic to front end. This is what application owner wants.

We had a discuss with them and told the same points about the dynamic sql, with clause issues.

They want us to analyze on this so as a part of it, I just wanted to know how many pll's or max size of pll is allowed to attached??

Thanks again,

maddy

• 6. Re: How many pll can I attach to a form
                    HamidHelal

So far i know any limitation of number of pll. Google can help you.

Hamid

• 7. Re: How many pll can I attach to a form
                      Christian Erlinger
                      Our requirement is to bring all the business logic to front end. This is what application owner wants.

And why would he want that? Ripping (working) PL/SQL code out of the database into forms libraries is one of the worst requirements one could think of. One would think the logical requirement would be the other way round: moving business logic from pll files to the database because one day another application might need to access the very same procedures.

They want us to analyze on this so as a part of it, I just wanted to know how many pll's or max size of pll is allowed to attached??

It is just my opinion, but the (binary) forms sourceformat (such as the .pll format) is a steaming pile of sh** suboptimal. I don't know how oracle expects us to develop in a multi-developer environment with forms, but they probably have never thought that one might want to make use of version control systems, or automated build systems. I've had my fair share of shady problems when merging changes from one form or pll to another (using the reports compiler to convert the pll into a pld to do a merge in a text file merge tool, or with a tool basing on the JDAPI), and some libraries in our application simply can't be merged because the reports compiler simply messes the file up. One of them is big (~10MB). Another one is small (~200KB). They don't even access the same database objects, or reference the same forms libraries or are attached to the same forms or have anything in common.

And as far as the automated build system goes: you don't even want to know. It get's worse when you want to develop in 10g and automate a build with the 11g version...It's however safe to say that I tore a lot of my hair from my head while writing the script for this automated conversion...and it still makes problems in some branches (who knows why - the libraries in question aren't any different from the working ones in other branches).

So if the this-is-a-bad-idea-because-you-can't-reuse-forms-libraries-in-other-tools reason isn't good enough then consider that compared to plain-vanilla textfiles which can be edited with a plain-vanilla texteditor and merged/diffed with a plain-vanilla merge tool the binary forms format is a real nightmare to work with. You should think thrice before moving code from a open text format into a closed-source binary fileformat which can be edited *only* by a closed-source development environement which featurewise can be compared to a IDE from the last century.

cheers

• 8. Re: How many pll can I attach to a form

Thanks Christian for your suggestion.