3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 12:22 PM by user5373812

Oracle VM server inoperable - fresh install of server on new machine?

user5373812

I have an Oracle VM server that has kicked the bucket and would take a lot of work to recover.  Is it possible to do a fresh install of the server on a new machine and hook into the existing repositories and ovm manager that I have set up?  Manager & repositories are functional and are on separate machines.

If so, what is the process of having the manager recognize the new server (and repositories)?

Alternatively, is there a way to get the disk images from ovm converted to virtualbox images?

I have data in oracle databases on the images that I need to recover.

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Oracle VM server inoperable - fresh install of server on new machine?
          Poorfrodo-Oracle

It is easy to reinstall Oracle VM Server on the broken machine rather than a different physical server.  However, I'm guessing when you say the server has "kicked the bucket" that you mean the hardware is the problem, not the OS/hypervisor; I will assume you can't reinstall Oracle VM Server on the old machine.

Your in luck, it is just as easy to install Oracle VM Server on a new physical server, discover it and add it to the pool.

Keep in mind that the repository is completely independent of the Oracle VM Servers, so the old machine can be reinstalled or shut down permanently without worrying about the storage repository at all.

DO NOT use this as an opportunity to install a later version of Oracle VM Server than you were using before - install the same exact version of Oracle VM Server that is on the broken machine

Assuming you are running 3.2.4 or later, here are the basic steps (it basically works the same way in all versions, but the "delete old server" step works much smoother with 3.2.4+):

• Install Oracle VM Server on the new physical server (ALL remaining steps are done using the Oracle VM Manager)
          • Discover the new OVM Server using the Manager
          • Ensure the old OVM server is not running
          • Delete the old OVM server from the pool
          • Discover the new OVM Server using the Manager
          • Configure any bonded network interfaces just like you did on the other servers (or like the old one if you used bonded interfaces)
          • Add the new OVM Server to all the networks that the other servers belong
          • Add the new OVM Server as an admin (and refresh) server to existing file servers and/or san servers
          • Add the new OVM Server to any storage access groups you set up (if any)
          • Add the new OVM Server to the existing pool
          • Present the storage repository to the new OVM Server
          • Migrate any OVM Guests to the new OVM Server (and start them if you are not live migrating)

That should to it

-Greg

• 2. Re: Oracle VM server inoperable - fresh install of server on new machine?
            Poorfrodo-Oracle

Also remember that the Oracle VM product allows you to expand existing server pools with additional servers, contract an existing server pool by deleting servers (after the VMs have been migrated) or expanded by adding new server pools with additional servers.  Additional server pools can use completely different networking and storage from any existing server pools.

Oracle VM is remarkably flexible

1 person found this helpful