2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2014 5:45 AM by Shivananda Rao RSS

Oracle standby database creation different backup location

dbaforu Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I am using Oracle EE 11gR2 on aix 6.2.I am tring to create a standby database.The directory structure od primary and standby database server are different.

I am taking backup (RMAN) at  /u01/backup directory on primary server and shipping those backup to standby server at /u05/backup.While duplication the rman unable to locate backup pieces at Dr server as those backups are located on different location from Dc.How to over come this situation.catalog start with is not working.

Regards

DBAFORU

• 1. Re: Oracle standby database creation different backup location
    mseberg Guru

Hello;

Since you are on Oracle 11 one option would be duplicate from active primary. You can use the Standby parameters of DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT for the directory structure.

duplicate target database for standby from active database NOFILENAMECHECK;

How To Restore From An Old Backupset Using RMAN? (Doc ID 209214.1)

Step by Step Guide on Creating Physical Standby Using RMAN DUPLICATE...FROM ACTIVE DATABASE (Doc ID 1075908.1)

RMAN ACTIVE DUPLICATE WHEN CONNECTED TO STANDBY AS TARGET (Doc ID 1343515.1)

Creating a Physical Standby Database (Doc ID 1475344.1)

Best Regards

mseberg

• 2. Re: Oracle standby database creation different backup location
    Shivananda Rao Guru

Hello,

I don't think you are doing a normal RMAN duplicate database either using "active database" method or with the traditional duplicate method.

If you are going for a normal restore and then perform the recovery, then

1. Hope your standby instance is in nomount state.

2. restore the standby controlfile (hope you have taken the controlfile backup of primary as a standby controfile).

3. Mount the standby instance, and catalog the backup pieces placed at "/u05" mount point.

4. Restore the database

5. start the recovery.

Hope these steps are clear.

Regards,
    Shivananda

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points