3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2014 7:28 AM by SMitov RSS

Migrating to OAS

994543 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

(If i posted this in wrong section please move the thread. Thank you!)

I have a couple of questions about migration from oracle forms 6i to at least version 10.

A little background information:

At the moment we are using oracle database 10.2.0.5 (on linux) with forms 6i and its time to upgrade.

Since forms 6i are not compatible with database 11g (at the least its not recommended to use nor supported)

we were thinking to hold on to current databse version and first switch to forms 10 and later on upgrade to

latest database and forms/reports version.

We are not sure if thats the best aproach?

You have to understand we have quite a lot of aplication developed in forms/reports 6i (more than 1000) and

migrating them all will take some time so we are thinking of running forms6i paralel to forms 10 and

slowly compiling / migrating aplication to forms version 10. We centerly can not go "offline" with production

for any period of time.

Now i have some question to which i haven't got a straight answer yet.

For us to move to forms version 10 we need:

a) Aplication server 10g - Can it be run on windows host since our database is on linux, are there any issues in said combination?

b) Oracle developer suite 10 -> this is package only for developers?

c) And what else do we need. ... i mean i am used to client server env. where each user has access to client installed on his PC.

d) ... anything else?

Since our developers are only skilled in PL/SQL language will this upgrade be any issue since there is Java support with OAS,

will we need a Java developer in future?

If we go down this path is it possible to upgrade from 10g to latest database forms/report version ...

without editing/recompiling aplications?

And another thing what we are concerned about is oracle aplication server - oracle weblogic server.

a)What is the difference?

b)How do we upgrade from aplication server to weblogic server?

We know we have put off this upgrade for far to long and now we have more problems that we should.

What we want is a stable env. that will be functional, secure and will allow us to develop better applications with less fuss.

Anyone with some previous experiance in migration could please share some insight on the matter and what would be the best way

to handle this.

With best regards Matt.

• 1. Re: Migrating to OAS
    Jan-Peter Timmermann Explorer

Hi Matt,

why you want to migrate to OAS 10g there is no support.at my point of view you should migrate to 11gR2 just now 11.1.2.2.0

Aplication server 10g - Can it be run on windows host since our database is on linux, are there any issues in said combination?

of course that is no Problem it doesn't matter which OS you are using for your database

Oracle developer suite 10 -> this is package only for developers?

Yes this is only for the Developers in 11g you can use the same software for Fomrs Server and forms Developer

And what else do we need. ... i mean i am used to client server env. where each user has access to client installed on his PC.

you need an application server and a Browser. in this you have to run the applet.

Since our developers are only skilled in PL/SQL language will this upgrade be any issue since there is Java support with OAS,

will we need a Java developer in future?

not for Forms/Reports only. If you do the next Step and try to go into ADF then you need JAVA Skills.

We know we have put off this upgrade for far to long and now we have more problems that we should.

No there are no Problem to migrate from 6i to 11gR2. But i think you have to do by a tool (www.pitss.com). So you can do the migration in only 6 month or shorteer

Diffrent bettwenn OAS and WLS.

Please take a look at my blog timmis.me there are many diffrents

b)How do we upgrade from aplication server to weblogic server?

install the new Server and compile all modules like pll/mmb/fmb and start the apllication

Jan-Peter

• 2. Re: Migrating to OAS
    Christian Erlinger Guru

I have a couple of questions about migration from oracle forms 6i to at least version 10.

First of all: don't migrate from one desupported version to yet another desupported version. The latest Version for Forms is 11.1.2.1; if you are using discoverer as well you might want to take a look at 11.1.1.7 which is in essence forms, reports and discoverer bundled in one package.

At the moment we are using oracle database 10.2.0.5 (on linux) with forms 6i and its time to upgrade.

Since forms 6i are not compatible with database 11g (at the least its not recommended to use nor supported)

we were thinking to hold on to current databse version and first switch to forms 10 and later on upgrade to

latest database and forms/reports version.

We are not sure if thats the best aproach?

You have to understand we have quite a lot of aplication developed in forms/reports 6i (more than 1000) and

migrating them all will take some time so we are thinking of running forms6i paralel to forms 10 and

slowly compiling / migrating aplication to forms version 10. We centerly can not go "offline" with production

for any period of time.

You are not planning to do the migration on a live system? You most certainly have to do some changes to your code since the architecture of webforms is different from the architecture of C/S forms, so an upgrade to a newer version like you'd expect from a database upgrade using DBCA (with some additional tests) is most certainly not going to happen. When we migrated our forms to

11g i first installed a 11g Application Server, copied the files over and compiled them, did some code changes (we have already been on 10g, so I had to do only minor changes), and tested, tested tested. When I was finished I built a 11g version and handed it over to QM for further testing. Doing things in parallel by putting form after form live doesn't sound so good to me, after all your users would have to access certain parts of the application via C/S and the migrated parts via web. In theory it might sound good as you won't have a big bang when you switch from C/S to web, but as said at least to me this sounds a bit confusing.

Also have a look at the forms upgrade center:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/forms/index-095046.html

Also google gives you a good impression about forms migration; after all a lot of forms developers went though it and are willing to share their experiences freely on blogs and what ever else.

And just to add an advice: if you don't already have a version control system in place putting your forms under version control *before* starting the migration would be a very good idea.

cheers

• 3. Re: Migrating to OAS
    SMitov Newbie

I am also asking why you want to migrate to version 10 which is also unsupported. At least go to 11.

Moreover, why you want to migrate to old technology like Oracle Forms and not to the newest and better ADF???

If you are scary of such a radical transition what will you think of using your Oracle Forms 6i in an ADF environment from day 1 while a migration process to ADF is happening?

You can check out http://formadfapp.com/ and see if you are a nice fit to it.

It will allow you:

1.  from day 1 to have your Forms 6i working in an ADF interface

2. to have a lean migration with results from day 1

3. to save time and costs

4. have both your Forms 6i and the newer ADF forms run simultaneously.

Just check whether you are suited for the FormADF product. If you think you are you will get a 30 days free trial period.

Stoyan Mitov

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points