6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2014 8:07 AM by TexasApexDeveloper RSS

How to call exe files from APEX

Hi all,

How to invoke or call some exe files like word or yahoo messenger from oracle apex ?

Apex 4.2.2

DB 11g

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to call exe files from APEX
          keywee

Hi,

The specifics of this will probably depend on the OS of the Server that your Oracle database is running on.

If you're running on Windows then this may help you:

http://mikesmithers.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/running-a-windows-batch-file-from-dbms_scheduler/

The same concept of using DBMS Scheduler also works on Linux or Unix as well.

cheers,

Steve

• 2. Re: How to call exe files from APEX
            TexasApexDeveloper

You NORMALLY would NOT want to call a local application from within an APEX application.  That is the safety offered by your browser to make sure BAD type applications don't have too much access to your local machine...

I believe there are some VBscripts you CAN run through your application, but to be honest, any developer I work with who would develop such things in APEX unless under some VERY tight security constraints, would NOT be working here too much longer..

What is the use case for such a situation?  Normally, like what was posted earlier, you can build a OS job to run via the dbms_scheduler..

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

• 3. Re: How to call exe files from APEX
              Billy~Verreynne

956320 wrote:

How to invoke or call some exe files like word or yahoo messenger from oracle apex ?

Apex 4.2.2

DB 11g

Apex is a set of PL/SQL suite of packages and procedures, with tables and so on. This code is called from a web server (e.g. Apache runing mod_plsql) via standard Oracle client-server. The code executes INSIDE the database. The codes creates a HTML buffer. This buffer is read by the web server component that made the call. And send to the web (browser) client.

That is first and foremost fundamental to understand about Apex.

Within this context - where is this executable file to be loaded, with which parameters, by whom, and where, to do what exactly?

• 4. Re: How to call exe files from APEX

Thanx everone for sharing their thoughts .

I  can't say that it is a safe practice or not

What I want is that on  every user has messenger.exe file on same file location and there is a button in apex when clicked  it invokes that messenger to user desktop.

Thanks

• 5. Re: How to call exe files from APEX
                  Billy~Verreynne

It is very dangerous to allow a web browser to execute a local program. This was used in the old days (and still is) to deliver a worm/virus/trojan to your local browser cache, and then execute that program as it is "safe" because it is a local program.

One of the reasons, that browser caches are now treated as untrusted contents (as that is what they contain - internet garbage mostly).

I have never tried to execute a local program via the browser - I suspect a protocol handler will need to be configured to allow that.

Whatever the case may be, it is a HORRIBLY FLAWED idea to do what you want to do. So don't!

• 6. Re: How to call exe files from APEX
                    TexasApexDeveloper

There are alternatives to using the messenger.exe client.. Is your purpose to allow users to message each other while using the product?

Example of an instant messaging app via APEX and some external tools:http://technology.amis.nl/2012/10/01/apexxmpp/ or this : Oracle Application Express - A Blog: Jabber

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software