3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2014 1:53 AM by SH RSS

ODI User Privileges

CarCrazyBen Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Forum -

I am running ODI 11.1.1.6 Studio on Windows 7.  I created a new User and gave him CONNECT, DESIGNER, and OPERATOR Profiles.  Now, I wish to limit his access to a specific Project.  I have been referring to this documentation (Managing the Security in Oracle Data Integrator) but do not really understand what I need to do.  I can drag and drop a Project onto the User itself but the resulting Tab seems to only have 1 privilege - Stop Session.  I was expecting to be able to configure more than just this single privilege.

Can anyone help explain to me if and how to restrict Users access to a specific Project?

Thank you!

P.S.  Is there a way to attach or insert a screen-shot to this request, which might make my question clearer?

• 1. Re: ODI User Privileges
    SH Guru

You need to give the user the NG_DESIGNER (not DESIGNER) role you can then fully customise the access by dragging and dropping the relevant objects onto the user

• 2. Re: ODI User Privileges
    A. Drieux Pro

Hi SH

Doing this way (NG_DESIGNER), will the administrator have to gives privileges on any new object instance (variable, folder, interface) of the project ?

or is it possible to restrict the privileges on specific project, but giving every privileges on the sub-objects of these project (without giving them one after another) ?

By the way, what is the difference between NG_DESIGNER, and NG_REPOSITORY ?

• 3. Re: ODI User Privileges
    SH Guru

Hi,

No the administartor just gives access to the objects and their actions that sit under a project. You do not have to do it on an instance by instance basis, although this granularity of object security is also possible. Take a look at the following odiExperts article which gives a good overview of the security setup I'm referring to

Security Module - Main concepts and use - ODIExperts.com

Its for 10g but still holds true for 11 & 12

To answer your last question the DESIGNER profile is used for people who need to develop ODI processes i.e. create, modify objects in the repository. The REPOSITORY EXPLORER profile only allows a user read-only (view) access to the repository objects.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points