1 2 3 4 Previous Next 102 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2014 3:39 PM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
        Dude!

Added number 14. This is been happening occasionally since the last couple of weeks.

• 16. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
          jgarry

It changed the text color to blue when Jonathan put in some simple code with a quote in it:  SQL Tuning

• 17. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
            moniquevdb-Oracle

Thanks for the update.

I need a bit more information on the {code} tags; if we get them back, what would we want them to do, and how would this function be different from Syntax Highlighter? I'm presuming it would change the font to fixed-width, with a scroll bar if necessary to avoid line breaks, allow any character including @ and #, and is that all?

• 18. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
              Dude!

The problem with the font of the current Syntax H. is that does not allow to change the font. I think it would be best to give the user the ability to apply any font. Sometimes a combination of Arial for comments and Courier for code works best. It would be nice to be able to apply text attributes and different color to any part of the text. But as a bare requirement, I would think that Courier 10 should do.

I think the following are the most important:

• No suppressing of white space and empty lines.
              • Any font and text attributes (best option) or Courier 10.
              • No conversation of <tab> to spaces.
              • No automatic wrapping of text up to 132 characters per line (minimum).
              • Horizontal scroll bar depending on length of text and window width.
              • Full support for US-ASCII and suppressing of editor functions for characters like # @ etc.
              • Soft line breaks (Shift-Return), so cut & paste does not add empty lines.
              • No automatic line numbers, unless there is a fix for browser compatibility.

The proper handling of line breaks could be challenging. It depends on the web browser, but according to my experience, replacing all line breaks with <Shift><Return> works correctly in every browser and does not cause the double line spacing effect when copying text from the browser to the host computer; at least this is the experience with how the current editor deals with line breaks. It should also wrap text at 132 characters per line, or more if possible.

Very important, when copying code into the editor, it must not convert tab delimited text to tables, etc. Any logic that tries to apply some format intelligence to the text being pasted must not be applied. I’m not sure if this can be achieved by using a {code} tag only, which affect the presentation of "code". Perhaps the function need to be disabled for the editor globally.

As far as the presentation of code concerns, I think most people prefer that code appears separate from regular text, perhaps similar to quoting.

I hope I did not forget anything.

• 19. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                jgarry

Agree with all that, would just like to add ability to make it user-selectable.  Sometimes scrollbars just get way too wide, I would prefer they wrap.  For one example, looking at any of these pages with the Page Source web developer tool in firefox.

• 20. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                  Dude!

That's why I suggested to wrap text at 132 chars, which is the maximum length of a terminal. Web code will most likely require longer line lengths. It all depens on font and screen width. I'm not sure what is feasible, perhaps 160? If I'm not mistaken, the web browser will add a horizontal scroll bar automatically to a text frame, so it may just be important that text is not cut off.

Btw, regarding your previous response about the blue text. I'm don't know what Jonathan did, but if he copied and pasted that blue text then it would actually be normal if writing in blue continues, at least that's how it works in MS Word. I think however that pressing the "reset" tool next to the font (advanced editor) should also reset the color to default, which I don't think it does. Is the simple editor the default again?

• 21. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                    BluShadow

moniquevdb-oracle wrote:

Thanks for the update.

I need a bit more information on the {code} tags; if we get them back, what would we want them to do, and how would this function be different from Syntax Highlighter? I'm presuming it would change the font to fixed-width, with a scroll bar if necessary to avoid line breaks, allow any character including @ and #, and is that all?

Yep, pretty much, and what Dude says.

If something is code, we don't want it interpreting the text as anything special e.g. if I'm using bind variables in code, and I express that as a ":" followed by an "x".... the forum does this...

Cute, I'm sure, but as this is a technical forum I'd prefer to see the code I pasted rather than expressing my love to all the lovely people here. 

Ok, so I can get around it by using a different bind variable, but we have to remember which ones we can use and which we can't (and I still get caught out by this once in a while).

If the code can be fixed width font, without corrupting what we've posted, but allow us to apply highlighting and colours where we want to highlight something, then that would be great.  The line numbers are a nice thing to have, if we want to refer to specific lines in our reply, but if those line numbers end up in copied code (when we copy code from the forum to our own client editor) then they just get in the way, so if it can't be done that we can have line numbers seperate from the code for copy/paste purposes, then I'd prefer to have no line numbers at all.

• 22. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                      gimbal2

IMO line numbers are pretty much essential, because otherwise it is REALLY hard to reference the code in comments.

I highly support the addition (or rather: re-introduction) of code tags, especially one which allows you to specify the language being formatted. The Google javascript syntax highlighter works incredibly well for all purposes in my experience.

syntaxhighlighter - Free syntax highlighter written in Java Script - Google Project Hosting

• 23. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                        BluShadow

gimbal2 wrote:

IMO line numbers are pretty much essential, because otherwise it is REALLY hard to reference the code in comments.

http://code.google.com/p/syntaxhighlighter/

Well.... we managed perfectly ok without them for years.  They were only introduced with the new forum syntax highlighting, and most people don't use that because it doesn't format things... so we're still going on ok without them.  As I say, it would be nice to have if it didn't booger up the copy/paste ability of the code itself.

• 24. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                          Dude!

I would not think line numbers are essential, but perhaps providing both options would make sense, so people can choose which way they prefer. If there is a {code} function they could also be a {code2} functions, etc. I was afraid however that the current editor would have to be redesigned from ground up to provide any such options. I bet what we could possibly see, if anything, are additional syntax highlighting options to choose from.

• 25. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                            Dude!

I don't know if anyone is still interested or if anyone from Oracle pays attention, but I just added bug no. 15 and 16. I find No. 15 particularly nasty, since it results in complete loss of text. As far as I'm aware both are new bugs that were added recently.

• 26. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                              EdStevens

Dude! wrote:

I don't know if anyone is still interested or if anyone from Oracle pays attention, but I just added bug no. 15 and 16. I find No. 15 particularly nasty, since it results in complete loss of text. As far as I'm aware both are new bugs that were added recently.

FWIW, I, for one community member, am interested and following closely.  I think the handling of formatted code to be one of the top issues with this forum software.

• 27. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                                Hoek

I, for two, second Ed.

Just noticed another oddity in this thread: ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [qkebCreateConstantOpn1],

The error code from the 'Dev'  (formatted) has all of a sudden a url in it, whereas the error code after that (unformatted) does not.

• 28. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                                  gleng

Dude! wrote:

I don't know if anyone is still interested or if anyone from Oracle pays attention

I lost track of this thread but I am interested.

I have not had time to test and understand the bugs but I plan to spend some time this weekend going over them and comparing with my personal experience.

Thanks,

GlenG

• 29. Re: List of forum editor issues and bugs
                                    jgarry

I'm not following closely, but hugely appreciate the effort.  I'd like to be able to quote when replying under the communications tab.  I'm unsure if that has come and gone or I imagined it.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next