5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2014 6:48 AM by user11368124 RSS

Installation of OEM 12c and DB 12c / repository

user11368124

Hi,

currently I am using an Oracle DB 11.2.0.1 to get to know Oracle (administration, SQL, PL/SQL) and to prepare for certification.

Now I want to install OEM 12c with Plugin DB 12c because there are many new features that are not covered in 11.2. Therefore I need 11.2.0.3. or an upgrade to 11.2.0.3 as database repository for OEM 12c. But I can not install 11.2.0.3 or upgrade to this version because a support ID is required for download.

How can I install EM 12c and DB 12c for the purpose of learning oracle and testing Oracle related features using my OTN account as usual?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Eli

• 1. Re: Installation of OEM 12c and DB 12c / repository
          sybrand_b

How about  just download the stuff from OTN and read the README coming with the zip files.

-----------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• 2. Re: Installation of OEM 12c and DB 12c / repository
            marcusafs

Although 11.2.0.3 is not available on OTN you should be able to install the repository on Oracle Database 12c which is available on OTN.  You don't say what your OS is or what certification you are going for,  11g or 12c.  It is possible to have Database 11g (certification study) and Database 12c (OEM Repository) installed on the same machine.

• 3. Re: Installation of OEM 12c and DB 12c / repository
              user11368124

Hi,

@sybrand_b

thanks for your message.

I have already read some documents and the installation of Oracle 12c including EM Express was successful. Then I tried different OEM combinations but ended up in non compatible OEM12c - repositoryDB - DB12c scenarios or would have needed a support ID.

I am slightly confused regarding full versions, updates and plugins, compatible vs incompatible combinations, which OS works for me etc. and try to figure out a sequence of steps that works anyway. And the parts to download are quite big.

The main steps are 

1. Installation of repository DB (which one, which OS?)

2. Installation of the latest OEM 12.1.0.3 using the repository DB

3. Oracle DB 12.1.0.3 has to be plugged into OEM

Which software bundles to install OEM 12c incl. DB 12c should and can I download using my OTN Account?

Which OS works best with downloadable versions? Should I use Oracle Linux64 or a different OS or can I use Ubuntu 64 as well?

Best regards

Eli

• 4. Re: Installation of OEM 12c and DB 12c / repository
                marcusafs

I work in a Windows shop but I would recommend any version of Linux since Oracle leans that way.  Just be sure to read the installation guides.  Whenever I have a problem support sends me scripts to run and they are always Linux first and I have to request the Windows version.  The tutorials and certification are always Linux based.

I would start with a general OEM install which, as I recall,  includes the plugins you need to get started with databases.  I am on OEM 12.1.0.2 and all my DBs are 11.2.0.3.

• 5. Re: Installation of OEM 12c and DB 12c / repository
                  user11368124

Hi to all,

@MarcusAFS

thanks, Linux is a good choice.

Currently I  am dowloading "Oracle VM VirtualBox for Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c Release 3 (12.1.0.3) Media Pack for x86 (64 bit)". According to the README-File ...

@sybrand_b

thx

... these templates contain OEM 12.1.0.3 and already include the 11.2.0.3 repository.

Has anybody installed Oracle VM "Oracle VM VirtualBox for Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c Release 3 (12.1.0.3) Media Pack for x86 (64 bit)" yet?

Best regards

Eli