This discussion is locked
1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2014 8:59 AM by jgarry RSS

Yet more new forum features

moniquevdb-oracle Guru Moderator
Currently Being Moderated

Hi again, everyone!

As promised, we have a new wave of features coming this weekend and next. What we're rolling out later today:

1. We are enabling bookmarks, so you'll be able to bookmark discussion threads. Next to the history icon, you'll see an icon to access your bookmarks, with your last 10 bookmarks listed right in the drop-down. You'll also be able to browse bookmarked content from the Browse drop-down menu. One important thing to note here is that bookmarks within Jive are publicly visible, so please be aware of that.

2. Helpful responses are increasing. You'll now be able to mark more responses per thread as helpful and are no longer maxed out at two. Please use responsibly!

3. There will be a system where you can rate threads on a scale of 1-5 stars, and search for threads according to rating. Hopefully over time, this will help you to surface the most useful content when you search.

Please also keep an eye on the recent bugs with communications and let us know if you're seeing any issues with that or any of the other new features.

I am also working on the issue of the editor, and a thread to leave your feedback for that is here: List of forum editor issues and bugs. Thanks again to Dude! for helping to compile that list.

Thanks all!

Monique

• 1. Re: Yet more new forum features
    Hoek Guru

Finally the world is a better place now!

• 2. Re: Yet more new forum features
    fac586 Guru

moniquevdb_oracle wrote:

1. We are enabling bookmarks, so you'll be able to bookmark discussion threads. Next to the history icon, you'll see an icon to access your bookmarks

The addition of this icon has broken the page layout on iOS Safari (iPad 6.1.3 / iPhone 7.0.4). The History and Bookmark icons, Search field, and Connect icons have changed position, leaving the History icon virtually invisible and inaccessible.

It's 2014: are you really not testing this site on tablets?

• 3. Re: Yet more new forum features
    Dude! Guru

It's also not showing properly in Firefox. Please see the screenshot: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/18/a3px.jpg

• 4. Re: Yet more new forum features
    rukbat Guru Moderator

I see the same flaws in the page design.

I see the messed-up layout as was in both of those sample images from fac586 and from Dude! when I view the page in a reduced browser window.   The social media buttons and the search field are all wrapped below the red colored page header and those media icons encroach upon the search field..

If I maximize the window to my CRT monitor's 1280x1024 full capability, the search field graphic elements are positioned up in the red header and just below my username and the social icons are in the grey field immediately below that, where I am guessing they were intended to appear.

What?  No web page layout composers on staff?.

Why do those page elements have to be floating elements?   Why do they need be on the right-hand side of a left-to-right page?

• 5. Re: Yet more new forum features
    Dude! Guru

Apparently the icons and search field are only overlapping at the OTN HOME page. Every other page seems to be ok, at last for me.

• 6. Re: Yet more new forum features
    moniquevdb-oracle Guru Moderator

My guess is this happened because we made some changes to the header to make it smaller. (This was something we implemented based on user feedback after the last upgrade.) Anyway, thanks for the screenshot; will investigate!

• 7. Re: Yet more new forum features
    Dude! Guru

Thank you, it looks fine now in Firefox, Safari, Chrome and IE.

It is still somewhat screwed up on an iPhone and the the History and Bookmark icons actually do not work, but if that was meant to be, it should ok: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/547/yvui.jpg. Actually I do not use the iPhone for any browsing of OTN, at least not since Jive 5, because it is not using the page layouts efficiently and shows too much grey space when compared to the previous version.

Btw, I don't know if this was intended, but the HOME link has changed to OTN HOME and the home page shows OTN Community, whereas other pages show Oracle Community in the forum banner now.

• 8. Re: Yet more new forum features
    Dude! Guru

I was testing the new Bookmark feature. Although not a serious, there seems be an interface design flaw. When you remove a bookmark by clicking the red flag from the bookmark icon in the forum banner, it does not update the current page. Hence, when removing the bookmark again by clicking the red flag next to the word "Bookmarked" in the thread view, you receiven a misleading error message:

Error: Your content could not be removed due to an error… you may have been logged out.

Unfortunately the software does not allow to bookmark forum spaces, which I would have found more useful, so I have them available every time I log in and don't have to rely on a specific computer account and browser. I already use following for content instead of bookmarking, and I can see all I’m following when browsing the content tab in my account.

• 9. Re: Yet more new forum features
    scott.wesley Guru

What are you expecting the rating of the original question to measure?

How well the question was written? How valueable I perceive a particular question (or pending response)?

We apply correct/helpful to responses to indicate value - I'm just not sure how we are to translate it to the question.

Cheers

• 10. Re: Yet more new forum features
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Scott,

The correct/helpful answers are for a persons individual contribution.

The new rating, allows people (even those who haven't contributed) to indicate if they find the whole discussion useful, perhaps where a question and answer is a good example of dealing with some particular situation, or it describes some funky method for solving something.  As Monique indicated this will allow, in the future, search results to be ranked based on their ratings.

• 11. Re: Yet more new forum features
    scott.wesley Guru

I'm down with that, as long as it's clear the intent is rating the entire discussion - or is it just me that's confused?

Even 5 stars can make things very subjective - would it be useful perhaps to have guidelines on the side under the legend?

for argument's sake:

5 - valueable discussion with demo

4 - well responded

3 - standard, common question/answer

2 - no/poor resolution method

1 - unanswered

• 12. Re: Yet more new forum features
    Marwim Expert

rukbat wrote:

If I maximize the window to my CRT monitor's 1280x1024 full capability, the search field graphic elements are positioned up in the red header and just below my username and the social icons are in the grey field immediately below that, where I am guessing they were intended to appear.

I never realized there is a history button before I read this thread. Even when I maximize the window I cannot see the history icon when I have my bookmark sidebar displayed.

Marcus

• 13. Re: Yet more new forum features
    Dude! Guru

I think it could be useful for those threads that are not a question and expecting answers, but providing information, such as a how-to or announcement. Previously it required to respond and writing that the information was useful.

I wonder though if people can mark any ratings if the thread has been locked.

Update: It is possible to rate locked threads. But once done it cannot be set below 1 or removed. At least I haven't figured out so far.

• 14. Re: Yet more new forum features
    Dude! Guru

I wonder about the rating process. It seems that it would be very easy to log-in using another user account and give your own thread 5 stars, and then hope nobody else bothers to provide any additional rating information.

1 2 3 Previous Next