5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 4:27 PM by Gennady Sigalaev

Please Help

Please help me to get answers to below questions

1. Can oracle in-Memory Database Cache can be install on any version of Oracle Database?

2. If i have 30 Tables( out of 100 tables) in my Oracle Schema, that has performance issue, can i move them ONLY to oracle in-Memory Database Cache? How difficult to move tables between these TWO database?

3. How can i Synchronize "DATA" between Oracle Data Base and Oracle in-Memory Database? Do i need to write program to Synchronize?

4. How frequent can i synchronize between these two database?

5. Can i just Install ONLY  Oracle in-Memory database Cache with out installing Oracle In-Memory Database?

6. How to calculate , in regarding "HOW much RAM"? is required for oracle In-Memory Database?

• 1. Re: Please Help
          ChrisJenkins-Oracle

1.   The current (11.2.2.6.0) release of In-Mmemory Database ache supports the following Oracle database versions:

• Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.5.0 or above)
          • Oracle Database 11g Release 1 (11.1.0.7.0 or above)
          • Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2.0.2.0 or above)
          • Oracle Database 12c

2.   I'm not sure what you mean by 'move them ONLY'. In-memory database cache caches tables so you would cache just those 30 tables, but they would also still exist in Oracle of course (they are cached, not moved).

3.    Oracle In-Memory Database Cache provides sophisticated functionality to synchronise data between Oracle Database and the In-Memory Cache. You do not need to write anything.

4.    For writeable caches, TT -> Oracle sync is continuous/ real-time. For readonly caches, Oracle -> TT sync is time driven with a granularity down to 10s of milliseconds.

5.    Not sure what you mean. The Oracle In-Memory Database cache is a DB EE option. It is actually exactl the same as the TimesTen In-Memmory Database, it is just a different mode of licensing.

6.   TimesTen/In-Memory Database Cache includes a sizing tool (ttSize) that will help you to determine how much memory you will need.

Chris

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Please Help

HI Chris,

Thankyou for your help . Please see my comments below

(Chris answer)  2.   I'm not sure what you mean by 'move them ONLY'. In-memory database cache caches tables so you would cache just those 30 tables, but they would also still exist in Oracle of course (they are cached, not moved).

My Question is . Can i write update statement on the Cached Table? In other words, can i perform DML on Cached Tables?

NOTE: My issue is that, there are around 30 tables , that might have performance issue. I want to Cache ONLY those tables and want to do UPDATE/DELETE/INSERT

on these( 30 tables)  and also SELECT statement

My Question: What will be Licensing Cost? In other words, i have a client that is using 11g database  and How much more , should he needs to PAY to use TimesTen , In Memory Database?

• 3. Re: Please Help
              ChrisJenkins-Oracle

If you configure writethrough cache groups then yes you can do DML and SELECT on the cached tables in the TimesTen In-Memory Database Cache.

TimesTen / In-Memory Database Cache is licensed on the same basis just like most other Oracle software. For the current pricing please consult the published price list or talk to your Oracle sales person.

Regards,

Chris

• 4. Re: Please Help

Hi Chris,

Can we store and execute Procedures/Packages in  Timeten IMDB?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Please Help
                  Gennady Sigalaev

Hi,

Yes, you can store and execute Procedures/Packages in Timeten IMDB, but be careful, there are some restrictions (TimesTen PL/SQL Support: Reference Summary)

Regards,

Gennady