This discussion is locked
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2014 10:36 AM by moniquevdb-oracle RSS

Even more new forum features

moniquevdb-oracle Guru Moderator
Currently Being Moderated

Hello again, everyone!

Some more new features are rolling out today and tomorrow. Again, these are tied to the new community joining the platform at the end of the month.

1. A fix for the header issue reported last week is being tested and should roll out over the weekend.

2. Reply by email is being enabled, which means you will be able to reply to a thread directly from your email inbox. If you are following a discussion and have email updates turned on (see Preferences to configure your email preferences) you'll be able to reply to the email within your email client and that reply will be added to the discussion thread.

3. You will now be able to upload your own custom avatars, to a max of 2. In order to upload an avatar, you need to click on your username and then hit the Activity tab. On the right side, under Actions, you'll see a link to "Change Avatar." From there, you can upload your avatar.

3b. Your custom avatars will be moderated according to the Oracle Terms of Service. Avatars will be rejected if they:

• Are defamatory, derogatory, degrading, or harassing

• Promote bigotry, racism, hatred, or harm against any group or individual

• Are obscene or in poor taste

• Appear to violate intellectual property or copyright laws

• Contain a solicitation of or advertise funds, goods, or services

3c. I imagine there might be an initial flood of new avatars so it may take us a bit to get through them all, but in general, avatars will be moderated daily. If it looks like there will be a long delay, we will update you in this thread. Thanks in advance for your patience on this one.

3d. You do not get any notification that your avatar has been approved or rejected. You have to go back into the "Change Avatar" menu and you will see that your pending avatar is gone (in which case it has been rejected) or is available for you to select (in which case it has been approved).

3e. You have to go back into that menu to manually select your avatar once it has been approved.

4. In addition to all of the above, I've reached out to the Jive team on the issues with the editor. As soon as I have anything to report there, I'll let you know. I'm closing the previous thread; report any issues with these or any other new features here.

Thanks!

Monique

• 1. Re: Even more new forum features
    mbobak Oracle ACE

Is the upgrade still going on?

All the Technical Communities seem to be missing....

-Mark

• 2. Re: Even more new forum features
    Dude! Guru

I see all of them. Maybe they are back? What are you looking at, are you clicking the OTN HOME link?

• 3. Re: Even more new forum features
    Dude! Guru

I think replying to a followed discussion can be quite useful. Does it also work with tracking?

Another thing I was wondering about, what happens after initial content changes. I suppose those emails are not getting updated?

I for example often edit my posts to make corrections, usually because English is not my native language and I realize terrible mistakes, or I can think of a better expression later. It might be a good idea to give postings generally more prior thought, but sometimes I simply forget that all here is public, or time is of the essence.

• 4. Re: Even more new forum features
    David Berger Pro

Hello Monique

I have problems with displaying/readability of embedded sql-codes.

Let's see what the problem is in my view:

1.) If I use the Syntax-Highlighting of SQL/PLSQL then the font Type is not COURIER NEW. -> In this case the readability is bad!

Could we change the font type of the SQL-Syntax Highlighting to COURIER NEW?

SELECT A.*
         , B.*
      FROM BDA.table_1 A
     INNER 
      JOIN BDA.table_2 B
        ON A.id = B.id
     ORDER BY A.text
    ;

2.) If I do not want to use this pre-defined formatting, then I can use this:

SELECT A.*

, B.*

FROM BDA.table_1 A

INNER

JOIN BDA.table_2 B

ON A.id = B.id

ORDER BY A.text

;

It is nice, I had to change the font-type manually to Courier New. OK.

BUT! I think the Font-SIZE is too big!  It would look better if it would be Courier New 9 or 8.

If I change the Font-Size of Courier New from 10 to 8 you can see how it looks:

SELECT A.*

, B.*

FROM BDA.table_1 A

INNER

JOIN BDA.table_2 B

ON A.id = B.id

ORDER BY A.text

;

The Font-Size has been changed from 10 to 8 -> BUT!!! -> The space between the rows are the SAME! It looks bad again!

My wisches would be the followings:

1.) Changing the Font-Type of Syntax-Highlighting to COURIER NEW

OR/AND

2.) Changing the spaces between the rows if the font-size = 8 !

Thanks in Advance!

• 5. Re: Even more new forum features
    Dave Rabone Journeyer

Yes, they were missing for a while earlier on ... back now.

• 6. Re: Even more new forum features

Just as an update, avatars are turned on, but I'm unable to crop and upload an image. This was an error we had fixed in an early round of testing but somehow has crept back in. I just approved an avatar for someone else, so it looks like at least some are sneaking through. But if you're getting an error, this is a known issue and we are working to resolve it.

• 7. Re: Even more new forum features
    rukbat Guru Moderator

moniquevdb-oracle wrote:

Just as an update, avatars are turned on, but I'm unable to crop and upload an image. This was an error we had fixed in an early round of testing but somehow has crept back in. I just approved an avatar for someone else, so it looks like at least some are sneaking through. But if you're getting an error, this is a known issue and we are working to resolve it.

Same here.  The upload action of a 200Kb rectangular JPG image seemed to go fine, but the crop action gave me the "unexpected error" result.   Perhaps if we can determine what (final) usable square size is expected by the software, then users can try to upload only finished images.

... for the time being.

Edit:

Never mind.

I pre-cropped my same JPG image to a square shape (approx 900x900 pixels) and the avatar process still bombed out.

• 8. Re: Even more new forum features

Yep, I should have mentioned, I tried that too and it didn't work.

• 9. Re: Even more new forum features
    Dude! Guru

I searched the Jive documentation for avatar settings and it mentions that the default size is 128 x 128 pixels.

• 10. Re: Even more new forum features
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

Just tried to upload an avatar (IST timezone) and it gave the  "unexpected error" .

Aman....

• 11. Re: Even more new forum features
    Paul M. Oracle ACE

Yesterday I uploaded an avatar and got the error. But today it's there, and it's "pending".

• 12. Re: Even more new forum features
    Baris Yildirim Guru

Hi Paul, the same thing happened to me as to you.I think we are waiting for an approval.

3c. I imagine there might be an initial flood of new avatars so it may take us a bit to get through them all, but in general, avatars will be moderated daily. If it looks like there will be a long delay, we will update you in this thread. Thanks in advance for your patience on this one.

3d. You do not get any notification that your avatar has been approved or rejected. You have to go back into the "Change Avatar" menu and you will see that your pending avatar is gone (in which case it has been rejected) or is available for you to select (in which case it has been approved).

Regards

• 13. Re: Even more new forum features
    Timo Hahn Oracle ACE

Which size does your image have?

I still get an error when I have to crop the image.

Timo

• 14. Re: Even more new forum features
    Paul M. Oracle ACE

Which size does your image have?

I still get an error when I have to crop the image.

It's 168 x 168 dpi. As I said, I also got the error, and yesterday it was not there, but now there is.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next