3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2014 9:38 AM by clcarter RSS

XE and Instant Client on the same Windows 7 machine

PhilMan2 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I have an Oracle XE 11 G installation on a Windows 7 64 bit PC.  Also Apex 4.1.  All works well.

I am building a new database and need to supply data to that new database from selected rows on a spreadsheet on a regular basis.  The spreadsheet will be located on the same machine as XE / Apex.  From what I can tell, I need an Oracle client installed so that the spreadsheet macro can interact with the XE database.

On the OTN/ XE page I've seen a couple of discussions that indicate that I shouldn't have XE server and XE client enabled on the same machine.

Therefore, is Oracle Instant Client and the ODBC drive a good choice?  If I were to install Instant Client and ODBC, do I need a separate ORACLE_HOME environment variable for both the existing XE and the new client?  I'm not quite sure how to do that.  My current ORACLE_HOME value is: C:|oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server

Thanks for looking at this.

Phil

• 1. Re: XE and Instant Client on the same Windows 7 machine
    PhilMan2 Newbie

Is there another forum I should be posting this question to? 

• 2. Re: XE and Instant Client on the same Windows 7 machine
    Brian Bontrager Expert

On the OTN/ XE page I've seen a couple of discussions that indicate that I shouldn't have XE server and XE client enabled on the same machine.

Which discussions?  That doesn't sound accurate.  I have run a mix of XE with its version of the client and various versions of the full client on the same machine with no problem, however that was also a 32-bit version of windows.

XE is not certified on 64-bit Windows (the XE download page explicitly states "Does not work in Windows x64"), so you may just be "lucky" that all appears to be well.

Once you get your compatibility worked out, separate ORACLE_HOMEs is the way to install multiple versions of the client on one machine.  The installer will ask where you want the ORACLE_HOME for that installation to be. 

• 3. Re: XE and Instant Client on the same Windows 7 machine
    clcarter Expert

And is there good reason for needing instant client? Any RDBMS install includes the client s/w.

But as Brian mentions the %ORACLE_HOME% (or $ORACLE_HOME) setting in the environment is one way to manage having multiple installs on one host.

Which one is in use? A cmd.exe tnsping <any tns alias, does not have to be a valid one> shows the location of the network/admin folder where that particular client setup is done. Any client should have a sqlnet.ora to configure naming methods, if the client bits will be used. If you have an ldap.ora file in that location it should points to an address(es) and port(s) where the naming service runs.

See the full 11gR2 docs for a start at Parameters for the sqlnet.ora File

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points