6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2014 10:07 AM by 2a1caa4c-efd2-45e1-9ebf-9b423458c6dd RSS

Best Format for USB Stick

2a1caa4c-efd2-45e1-9ebf-9b423458c6dd Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I am quite new to Solaris 11 and I simply want to format and use some USB Sticks for Solaris 11.

Want to have a file system that works with files >4GB. Shall I take UFS and how format my stick correctly? I took several instructions from web but always got several errors. Can someone write the right commands? (Example for a 8 GB USB Stick, FAT32 formatted, want to format to UFS)

Verm 

• 2. Re: Best Format for USB Stick

I tried several times, I always got this error:

root@solarisgfn:~# newfs /dev/rdsk/c10t0d0p0

newfs: construct a new file system /dev/rdsk/c10t0d0p0: (y/n)? y

mkfs: bad value for size: 0 must be between 1024 and 0

mkfs: size reset to default 0

mkfs: bad value for rps: 1056 must be between 1 and 1000

mkfs: rps reset to default 60

seek error on sector -1: Error 0

If setting ufs under PC-BSD and succesfully mounted there, I try in Solaris and get this error:

mount: /dev/rdsk/c9t0d0p0 not a block device

• 3. Re: Best Format for USB Stick
    cindys Pro

Can you display information about this device by using this command:

# rmformat -l

I rarely use USB sticks but it probably needs an fdisk partition to remove the FAT32 formatting.

Try this command (using the device path from the rmformat output):

# fdisk /dev/rdsk/c9t0d0p0

Thanks, Cindy

• 4. Re: Best Format for USB Stick

Hello Cindy,

All you told me I did many times before. But I have been forwarded.

I did the following:

# fdisk /dev/rdsk/c10t0d0p0

-> Create Partition (Solaris2)

then I had to do this:

# newfs /dev/dsk/c10t0d0s2 ; I don't know why ...s2 at the end instead of p2 or p1. The defines all did not work except s2.

Solaris created a file system but it was corrupt and I had to fix it with

# fsck /dev/dsk/c10t0d0s2

I still dont know why had to fix the file system. I've made just one partition on the usb drive.

So it works now but that cannot be the correct way!

I wish Oracle will make a gui frontend for managing disks (as PC-BSD does), I ve spent much time for this small job.

GParted on Solaris does only work with NTFS (why??????)

• 5. Re: Best Format for USB Stick
    cindys Pro

Hi--

Yes, your points are well taken and well understood by me personally, who has been wrestling with devices and file systems

for many years. Then, I fell in love with a new file system and no more wrestling!

I thought I've seen people use GParted with Solaris with NTFS or maybe I've seen people use it at a lower level.

I don't know why the file system on the stick was corrupt.

Solaris is a great OS, more than an OS, really an enterprise infrastructure, but some of the underlying device management is still kind of clunky.

I would recommend that you try using ZFS, which overcomes a lot of the underlying device management. In your case, if you had created an

fdisk partition, then you would only need 2 more steps. No fussing with slices or partitions or difficult newfs syntax.

# zpool create pool-name c10t0d0

# zfs create pool-name/file-system-name

On a SPARC system, that doesn't use fdisk partitions, you would just plug in a disk and use the 2 commands above.

Please see the ZFS Admin Guide for a full description:

Oracle Solaris 11.1 Administration: ZFS File Systems - Oracle Solaris 11.1 Administration: ZFS File Systems

Thanks, Cindy

• 6. Re: Best Format for USB Stick

I am making a linux certification but don´t like the linux distributions (except Red Hat) but I am really crazy about Solaris. Since I know Solaris 9 there isnt any other OS which I would prefer most. In my school I am using Solaris 11 instead of a Linux and at home I have also Solaris 11. Now I want to install on a girlfriends laptop and it´s important to manage file systems on USB Sticks and Harddrives.

I will try with ZFS, thanks for the commands

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points