4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2014 1:27 PM by Wouter Breeuwsma RSS

Problem importing data model from data dictionary in v 4.0.0.833

Wouter Breeuwsma

I am trying to import objects from a 10g XE database from data dictionary in SDDM v 4.0.0.833.

In step 1 I test the connection and that is successful.

In step 2 I select the schema, and when I want to go to step 3 to select the objects, I get an error message saying that the Connection is Closed.

So I am not able to complete the wizard.

How can I solve this, or is this a bug?

Regards, Wouter

• 1. Re: Problem importing data model from data dictionary in v 4.0.0.833
          Dimitar Slavov-Oracle

Hi Wouter,

I've just tried with SDDM v 4.0.0.833 and Oracle XE 11gR2 on Win7. It is working as expected.

What is your environment? Seems that problem might be there.

'Connection is closed' indicates that connection was established at beginning, but no longer open at some point.

Do you have firewall, terminating connections after some idle time?

Regards

• 2. Re: Problem importing data model from data dictionary in v 4.0.0.833
            Wouter Breeuwsma

Hello Dimitar,

Thanks for your reply.

The issue occurs when I am working in the office. When I was working from home I was able to import the data dictionary, so it must be a network issue.

I can connect to the database with SQL developer over port 1521, and I am using the same connection settings in SDDM. Do you have any ideas?

Regards, Wouter

• 3. Re: Problem importing data model from data dictionary in v 4.0.0.833
              Dimitar Slavov-Oracle

Hi Wouter,

Well, it is network issue for sure, but it's hard to say what exactly.

Just a few thoughts.

Check yours and Oracle firewalls. Maybe SQLDveleoper 'is allowed' to use the DB, but DM is not. Talk to DBA.

Try to import objects from DM within SQLDeveloper and see if the connection closed again.

Where did you saw 'Connection is Closed'? Is it error message box? Check the log file for exceptions (stacktrace) if any. Maybe stacktrace will be more explanatory.

Or maybe some of the other guys have more experience and will participate ...

I've just found some old thread - Importing a Database

Regards

• 4. Re: Problem importing data model from data dictionary in v 4.0.0.833
                Wouter Breeuwsma

Hi Dimitar,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I am getting an Error alert box with the Closed connection message. In the datamodeler log file I see

2014-02-07 14:11:23,649 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR AbstractDBMExtractionWizardImpl - java.sql.SQLRecoverableException: Closed Connection

I checked my Windows firewall and saw my SQL Developer 3.2.2 in their with permissions to communicate through the firewall (for all network types). My SQL Developer 4.0 is not in the list, but is still able to connect to the remote database.

I have added SDDM 4.0 to the allowed applications for all network types, but I still get the error message. SDDM is allowed to use the database, since it works from home.

I still have to look into the firewall settings of my company.

Thanks so far, Wouter