1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2014 12:16 PM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
        EdStevens

Always searching for "Best" can often lead to "Paralysis By Analysis".  Trust me on that.

For your purposes, "good enough" is "good enough".  For your stated purpose, you'd want to use the host OS mostly as a platform for multiple virtual machines.  Remember that when you define a virtual machine as having 'x' amount of ram, that comes from the real ram on the host.  For instance, my machine has 8gb installed.  With Win7 Pro as the host OS, I can just get 3 ea 2gb virtual machines running at one time.  If you want to explore RAC, you'd want your vms to be more like 3 to 4 gb each.  (See Tim Hall's write up on this at Oracle-Base).  I have an Intel i5 processor, but I wouldn't obsess too much over that.  I'm sure the AMD equivalent is just as serviceable for your needs.

Bottom line, buy as much ram and disk as you can afford.  I'd think any reasonably new computer that supports the amount of ram you are looking at will have an acceptable cpu.

As for host OS, while  I run Windows Pro because it is what my company provides and is the easy choice for personal computers, especially laptops. If  I were building a desktop/tower machine purely as a virtual learning lab, I'd give serious thought to running a Linux as the host OS, looking at whatever is supported as a host by your virtualization product --VirtualBox?

One other consideration, for your vm's .... Oracle Oracle Linux is free, so I have no problem building as many vm's as I want.  Windows is a different matter.  I've not seen anything in the licensing that would allow me to do that with Windows.  And even if it allowed the free *use* of Windows Server, I don't know where you'd legally get a copy.  On the upside, unless you need to specifically explore issues of Oracle specifically on Windows, you really don't need to worry about that.  All the fundamentals of database management, RAC, DG, etc are the same.

• 16. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
          JohnWatson

EdStevens wrote:

<snip>

For instance, my machine has 8gb installed.  With Win7 Pro as the host OS, I can just get 3 ea 2gb virtual machines running at one time.  If you want to explore RAC, you'd want your vms to be more like 3 to 4 gb each.  (See Tim Hall's write up on this at Oracle-Base).  I have an Intel i5 processor, but I wouldn't obsess too much over that.  I'm sure the AMD equivalent is just as serviceable for your needs.

Bottom line, buy as much ram and disk as you can afford.  I'd think any reasonably new computer that supports the amount of ram you are looking at will have an acceptable cpu.

<snip>

I disagree (unusual with something Ed says) bout the spec you need for RAC.

My Sony laptop (8GB RAM, i7 CPU, Windows 8.1) runs a 12c flex cluster, using VirtualBox and Linux VMs, no problem. Two 2GB VMs as hub nodes, a 1GB VM as a leaf node, a 500MB VM as  the DHCP and DNS server.

For disc, it has an internal SSD but all the VMs live on an external 300GB USB3 SSD drive. This is probably much cheaper and just as fast as any internal disc you can buy.

• 17. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
            EdStevens

JohnWatson wrote:

<snip nested quote>

I disagree (unusual with something Ed says) bout the spec you need for RAC.

My Sony laptop (8GB RAM, i7 CPU, Windows 8.1) runs a 12c flex cluster, using VirtualBox and Linux VMs, no problem. Two 2GB VMs as hub nodes, a 1GB VM as a leaf node, a 500MB VM as  the DHCP and DNS server.

For disc, it has an internal SSD but all the VMs live on an external 300GB USB3 SSD drive. This is probably much cheaper and just as fast as any internal disc you can buy.

John, thanks for the vote of confidence. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I've never tried to set up a RAC in my Vbox lab.  I've started to a couple of times, but after reading Tim Hall's instructions, didn't think my 8gb machine had the horses to do it.  It hasn't been a priority for me because I've never had a RAC system at work and setting it up would be purely for my own amusement.  But seeing what you've specified here, I may give it another shot.

• 18. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
              jgarry

Not sure what woke up Aman to reinvigorate this thread, but thanks for the additional opinions Ed and John.  Looking back over the thread, I see one thing unmentioned, and that is the variability in quality of whatever you buy.  I had this hammered home to me when I bought an HP, had great success with it (still using it years later, now being forced to decide what to do about XP), so after a year or so bought another one for my wife, and it was a total lemon.

• 19. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
                Aman....

I guess I saw the thread being updated and I replied to the last post of the OP. Didn't really check that it has become an old thread already

Regards

Aman....

• 20. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
                  tvCa-Oracle

2 things are mandatory :

- NO classic HDD's, only SSD's, no matter how many disks you have - and, NO external drives, even if they are USB3, only internal

- LOTS of memory, at least 16 Gig, but the more the better

1000 dollar ? ... hmm, better buy a decent laptop then

• 21. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
                    EdStevens

user793618 wrote:

2 things are mandatory :

- NO classic HDD's, only SSD's, no matter how many disks you have - and, NO external drives, even if they are USB3, only internal

And what makes you say that?

Why do you think it mandatory to have  no HDD?  Especially given the expense of SSD.

Why do you think it mandatory to have NO external drives?

- LOTS of memory, at least 16 Gig, but the more the better

In general, yes more ram the better, buy on what basis do you say "at least" 16 gb?

1000 dollar ? ... hmm, better buy a decent laptop then

You make that sound like a negative, like the OP can't really get what he needs for $1000.  I've already got most of what he needs ... on  a laptop ... with 8gb of ram ... for less than $500.

• 22. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
                      JohnWatson

I wold delay the purchase of massive amounts of RAM. For example, one laptop I use was bought a few years ago with 3G RAM which OK then, and I recently upgraded it to 8G with some memory modules I bought second hand on eBay for peanuts. I think you usually pay a lot more to buy RAM when the machine is new than if you can wait a while.

• 23. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
                        LaserSoft

Hi,

I wish to run Oracle 12c, RAC, Data Gurad, ASM, Cloud control, Oracle linux in Oracle VM Virtualbox.  Apart from these, I wish to run SQL Server 2012, Windows Server 2012.

1. Intel -i7 Processor @2.x GHz with 16 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD is more than enough.

2. RAC - If you are installing on Oracle VM Virtual BOX means each rac instance allocate 4 GB still 8 GB left out for other environments.

3. If you are installing all the above softwares in Oracle VM Virtual Box. start One or Two environments so that you can practice comfortably.

4. Oracle VM Virtual BOX very light weight and suitable for different environments.

Hope it helps..

Thanks

LaserSoft

• 24. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
                          EdStevens

JohnWatson wrote:

I wold delay the purchase of massive amounts of RAM. For example, one laptop I use was bought a few years ago with 3G RAM which OK then, and I recently upgraded it to 8G with some memory modules I bought second hand on eBay for peanuts. I think you usually pay a lot more to buy RAM when the machine is new than if you can wait a while.

No disagreement at all.  I'm able to simultaneously run 3 each 2gb machines on my 8gb Win7 Home Premium x-64 laptop.  One would want to be careful to make sure the machine is physically expandable to take the additional memory when one gets around to purchasing it.  I find it interesting (no, disconcerting) that the biggest simms that Dell will certify for my Inspiron laptop are 4gb.  With only 2 slots, that means I'm physically maxed out at 8gb even though the OS could handle much more. 

• 25. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
                            tvCa-Oracle

Well, based on what is currently standard. If you get 8 Gig,  that's average. So, if you want to run server software with average resources, go ahead. Today it's already too low, so let alone in a couple of years. It's know that classic HD's, so non-SSD, today are alternative for large & slow storage. So, if you need a slow computer, please buy big old disks ! The bigger, the slower ! Even to todays standard, as stated before, that's average. 500 dollar ... Let me tell you, if you look for performance, a laptop is already the worst start. Ever heard of cooling ? Know why servers are always huge boxes ?

• 26. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
                              tvCa-Oracle

That's a fact, prices of RAM drop seriously, but it doesn't take away the added volume may be needed, on technical level. Why do you upgrade otherwise ? You still paid for not having the necessary resources, being what we call : undersized computers.

• 27. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
                                EdStevens

user793618 wrote:

Well, based on what is currently standard. If you get 8 Gig,  that's average. So, if you want to run server software with average resources, go ahead. Today it's already too low, so let alone in a couple of years. It's know that classic HD's, so non-SSD, today are alternative for large & slow storage. So, if you need a slow computer, please buy big old disks ! The bigger, the slower ! Even to todays standard, as stated before, that's average. 500 dollar ... Let me tell you, if you look for performance, a laptop is already the worst start. Ever heard of cooling ? Know why servers are always huge boxes ?

But the OP isn't looking to run a real data center.  Just a virtual lab for his own learning.  Within reason, performance shouldn't be an issue.

If you want to turn up your nose at a less-than-gold-plated learning platform, go ahead.  But a lot of people are doing it with a lot less than you seem to think is "the minimum".

• 28. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
                                  Aman....

user793618 wrote:

Come on now, 8 gigs just an average? I run 3 VM's on a two year old laptop with 8gig, running 10203, 11204, 12.1 just fine. And for the 1000$ part, my home server is made just about with about 1200$ running with 32gb RAM, 1 TB HDD and works fine. SSD prices are just so steep. If one can afford it , fine but if can't, HDD does a fairly good job, especially  when you are using it on a test lab.OP is not planning to run a data center. 1000$'s budget shuold be just fine for him.

Aman....

• 29. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
                                    jgarry

John, you may be smarter than the average bear for buying things on ebay.  I'm not so sure I'd encourage anyone having to ask about hardware here to take the risks; compatibility, quality, etc.  Most people want these things to "just work."  I know I don't have the patience to sort through all the stuff I have already

As to the SSD suggestion, I wonder if anyone has death-tested VM's there? http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm&amp;s=5e2fbfdfb93473c2e6e1fb7…