1 2 3 4 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2014 9:59 AM by jgarry RSS

New forum features, again

moniquevdb-oracle Guru Moderator
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

And once again, there are new features and updates for you rolling out within the next day or so.

1. The avatar issue that some of us were having last week has been resolved, so avatars should be working for you. As I mentioned in the previous thread, I would give it 24 hours for your avatar to be approved, but it will most likely be faster than that.

2. You may have already noticed some UI changes related to our new communities coming on board, and there will be a handful more. All communities share a common set of public pages such as communications and dashboard, so you'll start to see a message on those pages indicating that they are public. There will also be a similar message popping up on the OTN home page in the next week or so. This is a temporary workaround to a larger issue that will eventually be fixed in Jive 7. In the meantime, we tried to make the messages as unobtrusive as possible.

3. Direct messaging, as we've mentioned before, is being enabled. This will only work for you if you are mutually following someone. We have a thread on Pros and cons of personal messaging. if you'd like to weigh in on the philosophical aspects of this feature.

4. Finally, I am still working on fixes to the editor, monitoring the email notification issue, and gathering information about the create document feature. I'll keep you posted.

I've locked the previous thread, so you can report glitches with any and all of the new features here.

Thanks!

Monique

• 1. Re: New forum features, again
    Dude! Guru

I’m afraid the only philosophy most people worry about is money. And according to conventional wisdom, criminals and vampires hate publicity and light the most .  So I guess the “Send Direct Message” button is the new personal messaging feature. For what it's worth: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/826/ju2j.jpg

• 2. Re: New forum features, again
    Karthick_Arp Guru

Nice to hear that you are working on the editor. Avatar.. Direct messaging.. are all luxury (I don't mind having them ), but a good editor is a basic necessity. I wish this goes up the order of priority. Looking forward to have a better editor!!

• 3. Re: New forum features, again
    Dude! Guru

I bet you OTN sees Jive as the universal formula to consolidate and standardize its efforts. It would not suprise me if relying on Jive and use it in the most standard configuration possible is part of the plan. The enabling of features are perhaps just project milestones and also a psychological factor. The main priority is probably to provide something that follows current IT trends and does not look antiquated. Proper function is secondary. Posts by forum members asking OTN to test the forum software prior to deploying it date back to 2003 and earlier.

• 4. Re: New forum features, again
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Having replied to a Private Message already, the editor for that is pretty poor.  Whilst typing the text I needed to edit something I wrote so decided to use the cursor keys on my keyboard.... woahhh! the down key took me right outside the edit box, to below the message into the whitespace... and the easiest way to get it back was to use the mouse to click back into my text.  Very poorly implemented IMO.

• 5. Re: New forum features, again
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

moniquevdb-oracle wrote:

2. You may have already noticed some UI changes related to our new communities coming on board, and there will be a handful more. All communities share a common set of public pages such as communications and dashboard, so you'll start to see a message on those pages indicating that they are public. There will also be a similar message popping up on the OTN home page in the next week or so. This is a temporary workaround to a larger issue that will eventually be fixed in Jive 7. In the meantime, we tried to make the messages as unobtrusive as possible.

If I go to my Communications tab it shows the message "This is a shared public page. To go to your community, use "Go Directly To.""

I'm a little confused how my own communications are a 'public' page?

I know you're trying to help those who are 'internal' to recognise when they're possibly going to post something in public, but not sure if having this on a persons own communications is valid.

• 6. Re: New forum features, again
    PhHein Guru Moderator

Blu, IIRC it is to distinguish between the publicly accessible areas and the new MOSC spaces, that aren't open. But I might  be way off on this one.

• 7. Re: New forum features, again
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

PhHein wrote:

Blu, IIRC it is to distinguish between the publicly accessible areas and the new MOSC spaces, that aren't open. But I might  be way off on this one.

Yeah, that's what I understood.... but how are my Communications a public area?  Communications are specific to the user, so are not a public place... though I guess because it lets you reply to notifications within there, i could be seen as public... perhaps that's it.  Maybe would be better if the message was next to the reply editor on the notifications, otherwise it's misleading to make us think that all of the communications are public.

• 8. Re: New forum features, again
    PhHein Guru Moderator

Your communications are public to Oracle, so it's not too inaccurate

• 9. Re: New forum features, again
    Chris Hunt Journeyer

Coming late to this, but from last week's post

In order to upload an avatar, you need to click on your username and then hit the Activity tab. On the right side, under Actions, you'll see a link to "Change Avatar." From there, you can upload your avatar.

Is there any way the avatar-changing functionality could be relocated to somewhere a bit more intuitive? I spent ages this morning trawling through my account's "Edit Profile and Privacy" page, the "Preferences" page, even the Oracle account settings page, looking for the bit where you choose an avatar. Eventually I gave up and came here.

Never in a million years would I have thought to look for it on the "your recent activity" page. How does changing my avatar have anything to do with my recent activity? Could you add "Change Avatar" to the list of options in the "Welcome, Your-Name-Here" drop-down in the top right? Or just a link in the Profile and/or preferences page?

Otherwise, I suspect you'll get a steady stream of people posting questions about how to change their avatars.

• 10. Re: New forum features, again
    Dude! Guru

If you set the minimum font size of your web browser to larger than 12, then the grey note and the header screw up. So removing the word “public” would also help for technical reasons. I also wonder why OTN cannot address internal issues using internal communication options.

Anyway, the page is decorated like a xmas tree. I wonder if there are even more different styles of buttons, menus and bells and whistles to show off. I guess we could also have something frequently flashing or scrolling in and out, like oracle.com to people even more confused. The way the menu of oracle.com (improperly) operates makes me seasick after a while.

• 11. Re: New forum features, again
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Not sure what you mean by "I also wonder why OTN cannot address internal issues using internal communication options."?

The message is because of other people internal to Oracle using a Jive forum that can lead them to the public forums since things are becoming more 'connected'.  It's to warn them that they are no longer in a private domain, I guess to help prevent them posting things that shouldn't be public.

• 12. Re: New forum features, again
    Dude! Guru

Whatever the reason, it's screwing up in my browser and does not make real sense to me. Not that it really matters. The best way to protect people from accidentally crashing into each other is not to increase the warning sings.

• 13. Re: New forum features, again
    HamidHelal Guru

I would give it 24 hours for your avatar to be approved

I uploaded the avater at 25-jan-2014 and till now waiting is not over.. status is pending.

How it works within 24 hours.

Hamid

• 14. Re: New forum features, again
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

HamidHelal wrote:

I would give it 24 hours for your avatar to be approved

I uploaded the avater at 25-jan-2014 and till now waiting is not over.. status is pending.

How it works within 24 hours.

Hamid

In fairness, the 25th Jan was a Saturday (generally a non working day for many), and avatar approval is going to require a person to look at it.

So perhaps Monique should have said, "allow 24 hours (weekdays only)"... thus if you upload one at the weekend, allow 24 hours after the monday... so it's likely it'll be Tuesday sometime (i.e. today)

1 2 3 4 Previous Next