1 2 3 4 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2014 11:59 AM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: New forum features, again
        HamidHelal

Yes. getting work today.

Thanks BluShadow.

• 16. Re: New forum features, again
          BluShadow

Monique,

There appears to be a glitch in the communications.  The counter is increasing and showing me notifications of my own replies to disucssions/PM's.  I don't need notifying when I've replied to them, I already know I have.

Also the previous glitch of being logged out automatically seems to have crept back in.  Was the 'fix' for that undone by the latest changes by accident?

• 17. Re: New forum features, again
            Paul  Horth

Chris,

I had exactly the same issue!

• 18. Re: New forum features, again
              Catch-22

As far as I can tell, the product simply continues to lack proper function and a reasonable user interface. It seems that pretty much nothing works properly or is reasonably implemented with a thought through user interface. Every introduction of a new feature just opens a book of new problems. Has anything changed about the editor, because it seems to behave different again causing new issues.

Sorry, but will some Mickey Mouse product (Jive) that happens to use the right buzzwords really do? I received an e-mail that Oracle is merging the My support and OTN community to the same platform by the end of the month. I guess it doesn't really matter anymore.

• 19. Re: New forum features, again
                fac586

BluShadow wrote:

Also the previous glitch of being logged out automatically seems to have crept back in.  Was the 'fix' for that undone by the latest changes by accident?

Barely staying logged in from one page view to the next today.

Search is hosed as well. (Slow and/or incomplete; pop-ups not functioning.)

• 20. Re: New forum features, again
                  BluShadow

fac586 wrote:

BluShadow wrote:

Barely staying logged in from one page view to the next today.

Search is hosed as well. (Slow and/or incomplete; pop-ups not functioning.)

Yep, it's getting ridiculous trying to use the forum now.   Think I'll go and put my head down on some work and forget the forum for a bit... and come back tomorrow and see.

• 21. Re: New forum features, again
                    Timo Hahn

BluShadow wrote:

Yep, it's getting ridiculous trying to use the forum now.   Think I'll go and put my head down on some work and forget the forum for a bit... and come back tomorrow and see.

Is someone from Oracle looking into this dammed login / logout problem?

I'm getting logged out every 2-5 minutes!

Needed to login twice to post this message!

Timo

• 22. Re: New forum features, again
                      Brianw-Oracle

This is being looked at. Don't have any ETA for resolution

• 23. Re: New forum features, again
                        moniquevdb-Oracle

To answer a question from upthread, the Communications page is a global page, and therefore "public" even though your communications are private. If you were a member of a private community, for example MOSC, as well as OTN, and you respond to things within your Communications, this would make you aware that your responses would not necessarily be restricted to MOSC, but include both MOSC and OTN. Hopefully that makes more sense. Like I said, this is a temporary workaround, and we know it's far from ideal.

I totally agree that the placement of "Change avatar" is bananas. It's some out of the box Jive wackiness that I have on my list for Jive 7.

• 24. Re: New forum features, again
                          jgarry

For me it seems to increment, but when I click on the communications tab, it goes away.  Haven't had a bit of trouble logging in (from southern California).

• 25. Re: New forum features, again
                            Billy~Verreynne

BluShadow wrote:

I'm not the slightest bit bothered about this.  Nuisance yes. But having adjusted my expectations I suddenly feel far less aggravated using OTN.

Besides, I need to spare all aggravation available, for directing it into a far more appropriate direction. Like politics...

• 26. Re: New forum features, again
                              BluShadow

moniquevdb-oracle wrote:

To answer a question from upthread, the Communications page is a global page, and therefore "public" even though your communications are private. If you were a member of a private community, for example MOSC, as well as OTN, and you respond to things within your Communications, this would make you aware that your responses would not necessarily be restricted to MOSC, but include both MOSC and OTN. Hopefully that makes more sense. Like I said, this is a temporary workaround, and we know it's far from ideal.

I totally agree that the placement of "Change avatar" is bananas. It's some out of the box Jive wackiness that I have on my list for Jive 7.

Perhaps it would be better to have the "public" message next to the reply editor... and word it differently to say "replies made here will be public"?  Just a thought.

As for the location of the Change Avatar... I'm starting to agree with Dude!.... where on Earth are the developers of Jive from?  This sort of thing is basic user interface design, learnt as one of the first things on computer science/application design courses.... I mean... clearly the changing of a personal avatar should be in a members personal profile... doh!

• 27. Re: New forum features, again
                                BluShadow

BillyVerreynne wrote:

BluShadow wrote:

I'm not the slightest bit bothered about this.  Nuisance yes. But having adjusted my expectations I suddenly feel far less aggravated using OTN.

Besides, I need to spare all aggravation available, for directing it into a far more appropriate direction. Like politics...

Well, I was consistently being logged out yesterday to the point it wasn't worth me wasting the effort to try and reply to things or use the forums.

And again this morning, within 30 minutes I've been logged out 3 times... it just took me 10 minutes to reply to Monique above having been logged out twice in the attempts (good job I'd copied the text I'd typed so I didn't lose it).... so, again it's ridiculous, and I'll be going doing other things until it's been sorted.

• 28. Re: New forum features, again
                                  Catch-22

I think there is a lot of politics here in the forum already, which is easier to influence than world politics. For example, 7 month ago, attaching documents, custom avatars, direct messaging, etc, was something people here would vehemently dismiss. Well, lock at it now. It would not surprise me if adding pictures and documents to posts comes next, which from a user's perspective I would personally welcome though.

• 29. Re: New forum features, again
                                    gimbal2

Picture attachments I both hate and love, because that opens up the possibility for people to post screenshots of their IDE / workbench / whatever tool in stead of just posting code and error messages as text. And as I have seen in other forums, that is what current generation novices are inclined to do for whatever reason.

For answering questions its a very valuable tool though, since you can draw some simple diagrams to clarify an answer. As they say: a picture often says more than a thousand words.