2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2004 4:01 PM by 237828

Managing InterConnect adapters

We are investigating how the operators will be able to manage InterConnect adapters. Except from parsing the error logs (oailog.txt), there don't seems to be out-of- the-box solutions to verify that adapters are up and running also in case no messages are received. We can of course publish and subscribed dedicated messages that flow over every n minutes but I wonder if this is the best method. Some other Integration products automatically publish a management event that is subscribed by a dedicated adapter providing a kind of heart beat.

How do other people manage their environments?

thank you,

regards,

Claude Boussemaere
        • 1. Re: Managing InterConnect adapters
          Claude,

I suppose the good thing about iAS 10g as a product is that it does guarantee delivery! If any bit of the "middleware", or indeed your source / target systems are misbehaving, then the messages are either held in Oracle AQ's, or persistence files.

For my two cents, I think that using the Oracle Enterprise Manager Console is a good out-of-the-box tool to start with. It is certainly the tool I use on my environment. Although it isn't a complete "one-stop-shop", it does give you a single place where you can, for adapters, look at:-
          * The state (running or not)
          * Look at errors
          * Look at, and edit, the adapter.ini file
          * Look at the latest log file
          * Get "alive time"
          * Get "throughput" statistics and
          * If you use the "Tracking Messages" feature of iAS Integration, then it is here where you can look at your Tracking Fields.

You can also check that the repository is alive and kicking too.

I think I'm right in saying that OEM comes with 9iAS or 10g database. Once the iAS Integration components are installed, there are some post install steps that you need to follow for InterConnect components to show up in the OEM Console.

I'm no OEM expert, but I believe that you can also write "Alerts" too.

One word of advice though, and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, is that OEM console is only useful if you have your repository and adapters physically installed on your Hub server. That is to say, if you have installed a DB Adapter on your target (Spoke) database, instead of on your middleware (Hub) database, then OEM will not be able to see it.

This is why I've installed all my integration components on one server.

Hope this helps
          Yan
          • 2. Re: Managing InterConnect adapters
            Hi,
            You can monitor Adapters that are not installed on the Hub Server provided you install an OEM Agent on the server on which you're running your Adapter.
            Regards