1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2005 11:27 AM by usedbits RSS

Oracle Reports 6i Crashing

Hi,

I recently patched Oracle Reports 6i with Patch 17 and my OS is XP sp2. Initially I downloaded Patch 13 for XP.

When I try to print a report through the Report previwer, the report crashes. The report executes fine and is displayed on the screen. The problem starts when I click the print icon. I have to kill the session. I am running a small report. Can any one please help me on this ASAP.

The above reports works fine in W2K on Patch 17.

Thanks in Advance.
        • 1. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
          usedbits
          As you might only just now be discovering, Oracle*Reports is notoriously unstable. Save your work!

It crashes without warning. It displays incorrect error messages. It will misbehave to the point where the only recourse is to delete parts of your report and rebuild them. Save your work!

About the only time I can predict a crash is when leaving Reports connected to a database sufficiently long to time out. Very often, when reconnecting, Reports will crash on the next action - including trying to save your work to prevent loss due to a crash. Save your work!

Did I mention - "Save your work!"? SAVE YOUR WORK! SAVE IT OFTEN!

I'm told that Oracle has finally begun making an effort to make Reports more robust. I haven't heard when the stable release is expected.
          • 2. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
            Thanks for your response Stephen.

I don't have problem with executing the report. I have problem when I click the print icon from the previewer. It just crashes when I click the print icon. When I use a parameter form and select printer then it works fine.

User's are used to print from the previwer. It works in W2K fine. It crashes in XP. I am currently using Patch 17 for both XP and W2K.
            • 3. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
              few questions :
              - are your reports (rdf,rep) stored in a central directory ?
              - if so, are they compiled with y2k or XP version ?
              - are you working against central or local printer ?
              - if local printers, are you using standard MS-drivers or producer specific drivers for your printers ?

had quite some fun with certain HP printers, metalink is full of it.

finally convinced users to create pdf-files and print them out separatedly
              • 4. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
                are your reports (rdf,rep) stored in a central directory ?

-- Yes. It is all stored and executed from a Central Directory

if so, are they compiled with y2k or XP version ?

-- The reports are compiled in XP version seperately and W2K version in the respective client boxes where I develop. (I have 2 PC's).

are you working against central or local printer ?

-- I am working on Central Printer. The report executes perfectly from the W2K PC. I can print it from the live previewer.

finally convinced users to create pdf-files and print them out separatedly

-- You are a lucky dawg.
                • 5. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
                  any exact error messages ?
                  • 6. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
                    Nope.

The report crashes and the application hangs... I have to kill the session.
                    • 7. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
                      what printer are you using ?
                      • 8. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
                        HP LaserJet 8150.
                        • 9. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
                          trying to find out more tomorrow, it's 11pm local time here.

bye
                          • 10. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
                            looks like you are lost in Bermuda triangle Oracle/Microsoft/HP

did you already try PCL5 instead of PCL6 ?

did you try Oracle Reports Printer Driver Utility 2.0 ?
                            http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/reports/index.html

Overview
                            ========
                            The DriverTest utility checks whether installed printer drivers are compatible
                            with standard Windows printing Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) used
                            by Oracle Reports. Oracle Reports supports printing on Windows platforms through
                            printer vendor and Microsoft supplied printer drivers, which are accessed
                            through the corresponding standard Windows printing APIs.

Oracle Reports makes extensive use of the functionality offered through the
                            Windows APIs, and makes use of printer functionality not typically
                            used by desktop productivity applications, so it can expose problems not seen
                            in other applications. If a specific printer driver does not adhere to the
                            functionality offered through the standard windows APIs, Oracle Reports cannot
                            successfully interact with those printer drivers. Oracle considers such issues
                            to be bugs in the printer driver and not bugs with Oracle Reports.

Supported Platforms
                            ===================
                            - Windows 95,98,2000,NT,XP

• 11. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
                              Thank you so much, Cohen.

I have the same problem of crash here, in Brasilia, with the Portuguese (Br.) version of the Reports 6i.

Now, after your answer, I can live with this Oracle disability... I was worried about causing these crashes myself. What a relief!

Thank you one more time fro showing me it isn't my fault.
                              • 12. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
                                I tested everthing from the link you sent me. It displayed all as "successful".... but nothing printed on the printer. The print queue was displayed as "document printed on <printer>". But it never printed.

I can print word, pdf, etc to any the network printers.

When my oracle report uses parameter form and when i select destination type as printer then it works fine. Only from the previewer when I click the print icon it crashes.
                                • 13. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
                                  did you install HP-printer-driver or did you install standard microsoft driver for 8150 (if there is any) ?

had once success with simpler MS-driver instead of HP-driver,
                                  lost some functionality but the output didn't go BANG.

may by using 8150-PCL5-driver instead of PCL6-driver might help too.

Not much fun this shiny modern software, running out of ideas.

try to catch hold of Duncan Mills, Frank Nimphius, Grant Ronald. They are helpful and full of knowledge (and do have resources).

good luck !

• 14. Re: Oracle Reports 6i Crashing
                                    usedbits
                                    I have long suspected memory issues with Report's instability. Today I found proof.

When attempting to save my work (remember, save your work, save it often), Reports threw the following message before crashing:

The instruction at '0x7c91103c' referenced memory at '0x45524145'. The memory could not be 'written'.

This is evidence of a classic memory management flaw. I suspect the 'unwritable' memory was a temporary area which Windows put to good use for something else, but Reports still believed belonged to it.

In a previous life, I worked for Univac as a systems programmer. This situation described above was called a 'guard-mode' fault, where a program tries to access memory addresses 'guarded' by the operating system, i.e. the program tried to reference an address outside of the bounds assigned to it. I got pretty good at diagnosing the problem with a memory dump and a map of the collection (process used to take compiled code and convert it to an executable file).

I wonder if Oracle has thought of doing something like that to begin solving the crash issues.
                                    1 2 Previous Next