12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2006 11:26 PM by 511567 RSS

Generating Oracle reports o/p to xls format.

Hi all,

I have few reports which run while being called from forms.All the reports display a parameter form before generating the o/p.
      Is there any way using which one can generate the o/p in MS-Excel format.

Thanks in advance.

Rajeev
        • 1. Re: Generating Oracle reports o/p to xls format.
          1 In the web browser you can output to delimiteddata, if you add &mimetype=application/vnd.ms-excel the browser should open the data in excel automatically.

2 We also use an output type of SIMPLEEXCEL, there is not much documentation on this though. This outputs to excel in roughly the same format as the pdf shows (i.e. headings, shading, totals etc). You have to play around with the layout a bit to make it look really good though.
          • 2. Re: Generating Oracle reports o/p to xls format.
            Hi Nigel,

I am using oracle 9iAs.
            As i understand it doesn,t support the SIMPLEEXCEL format.
            Also for some of the reports where the number of coulmns is too large,i am getting blank page.

Can you suggest anything for this.

Regards,
            Rajeev
            • 3. Re: Generating Oracle reports o/p to xls format.
              IAS 9.04 does support SIMPLEEXCEL - this is what we have

Re the other option - do you get output in delimiteddata without the mimetype parameter? There is some tool out there called rep2excel you could try
              • 4. Re: Generating Oracle reports o/p to xls format.
                Hi Nigel,

I an use delimited as desformat. But for some of the reports having number of columns around 20-23 its giving me blank page,though i am getting correct format o/p in htmlcss format.
                Any suggestions as to how to convert htmlcss o/p to xls.

Regards,
                Rajeev
                • 5. Re: Generating Oracle reports o/p to xls format.
                  you can use RepExport tool for converting your html generated report to excel format.
                  • 6. Re: Generating Oracle reports o/p to xls format.
                    Hi Noman,

Can you give me the URL for this tool.

Thanks,
                    Rajeev
                    • 7. Re: Generating Oracle reports o/p to xls format.
                      you can download tool from
                      http://www.lv2000.com/repexpert.htm site
                      or
                      http://www.5starshare.com/RepExpert_Pro-soft18653.html
                      • 8. Re: Generating Oracle reports o/p to xls format.
                        I've done Excel output using the Microsoft XML Schema for Excel. This works well as long as you don't mind the files being bigger, and you're very familiar with XSLT

Your report would then generate output to XML, and you create an XSL that turns it into an Excel XML file. Note this requires at least Excel XP on the client, but you can do almost any formatting you want - fonts, colors, borders, even cell formulas and notes!

See http://www.microsoft.com/office/xml/default.mspx for the XML schemas. All the docs say it's for Office 2003, but we've used it for over a year with Office XP with no issues.
                        • 9. Re: Generating Oracle reports o/p to xls format.
                          Can You please help me regarding the following:

I have application servers of 10g rel 1 (904).
                          it is a test server. I'm generating reports in that server in .xls format. But the problem occours in generating the report when the data is less then 1 Kb.
                          Please Suggest.
                          • 10. Re: Generating Oracle reports o/p to xls format.
                            what is the problem you are facing for excel output.Please provide details

if any error received then provide that also,

Thanks
                            Subodh
                            • 11. Re: Generating Oracle reports o/p to xls format.
                              While generating report it gives message page "cannot be
                              displayed."

I'm generating report in .xls format and the report is less then 1 Kb.
                              • 12. Re: Generating Oracle reports o/p to xls format.
                                Did you solve this?

We got a "page cannot be displayed" problem in 10.1.2.0.2 when had SSO turned on and a form created a reports parameter .html file and then that tried to call the report. Turned out that the form could make the .html file and then open it using the URL :
                                "http://host:port/reports/rwservlet?"
                                but, when the post form action of the .html file also tried to use this URL to open the report it failed. (Note, each browser pc already had a Windows "hosts" file set up with the host name mapped to the IP address AS box name).

We had to change the post form action's URL to:
                                "http://host.domain:port/reports/rwservlet?"
                                ie had to put the full domain name there.

Infact, even just "http://host.domain/reports/rwservlet?" (no port number) worked. That was probably because we were using the default port anway.

Finally realised that the full "host.domain" name was the name that we registered as the host name - when registering with the OID. This was when we first installed AS. Looks like SSO needs "that" registered host name.

regards