1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2007 1:28 PM by 277993

OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2

Has anyone tried 10g Release2??
      When i try to access OEM(Database Control), it gives me an error like:

java.lang.Exception: Exception in sending Request :: null

and the database instance's status is "pending".

I've stacked for 2 days.
      Does anyone have the same problem or any idea?
      (I already tried recreating Management Repository which didnt work...)

Thank you.
      Yoshi
        • 1. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
          Hi.
          What is your configuration like?
          Is the grid control running on a separate host from the database?
          Have you installed a separate agent on the target server or are you trying to use the agent that follows the 10gR2 installation.
          If yes, when and how did you specify the management server.
          If no, did you install the agent prior to installeing the database?

You could always try from $ORACLE_AGENT_HOME to run
          $ORACLE_AGENT_HOME/bin/emctl upload.
          Also, try to run emctl status agent to verify that it can connect the OMS.

Hopes this gives and idea, otherwise, follow up the thread.
          I have 10gR2 database running against 10gR1 grid control.
          rgds
          Kjell Ove
          • 2. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
            I apologize I posted the question to the wrong thread..
            I am using Database Control, not Grid Control.

My configuration is like below:
            ---
            [Windows XP]
            - created Loopback Adapter with IP:10.10.10.10 (as shown in Installation guide)
            - edited hosts file

[Oracle]
            followed the installation guide come with 10g R2.
            (EM Database Control should be installed automatically.)

At the end of the installation, I chose to create database.
            - chose "general" as a template.
            - global db name: orcl, sid: orcl
            - checked "Use Enterprise Manager", "Use Database Control (default)
            - used default setting for the rest.

---
            After the installation process, i accessed "http://hostname:1158/em".
            The title of the resulted page is "Oracle Enterprise Manager(null)",
            and there shown "Recovery" button...

I tried recovery, but I failed to connect to the "host".
            -> IOException in sending Request :: Connection refused: connect
            (HostName, and HostPassword mean user/password to log in to Windows system, right?)

This error could be the key... any idea?

Thanks.
            Yoshi
            • 3. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
              Hi.
              I have not installed the dbconsole on R2 so I am not sure if I am able to help you here.
              But from the error message it looks like
              the dbconsole is not started correctly for some reason (port conflict or unresolvable hostname)
              Or
              unable to connect to host looks like there is some kind of user-right issues. Is the laptop in some AD domain, and are you installing as AD user?. You would be better off installing either as AD domain admin or local admin, I think.

But, you can verifiy if the dbconsole is really started by executing emctl the following way:
              %ORACLE_HOME%\bin\emctl status dbconsole.

Start it if it isn't started.
              %ORACLE_HOME%\bin\emctl start dbconsole.

To be sure, you might want to stop dbconsole if started along with the database. Start it all again in correct sequence by starting the database first and then the dbconsole.
              Some other issues you might look into is that the hostname is represented in the host file and is resolvable with ping. Also, verify from %ORACLE_HOME%\install\portlist.ini the you are connecting to the correct port. You also might wanna check that this actual port is not busy by another process.
              Hopes this gives some help.

Good luck
              Kjell Ove
              • 4. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
                I'm having the exact same problem, emctl reports the following:

c:\>emctl status dbconsole
                Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Database Control Release 10.2.0.1.0
                Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
                http://oraserver:5504/em/console/aboutApplication
                Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g is running.
                ------------------------------------------------------------------
                Logs are generated in directory C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1/ora_test/sysman/log

The file enoms.trc contains the following:
                2005-09-25 12:25:03,859 [MetricCollector:HOMETAB_THREAD600:60] ERROR rt.DbMetricCollectorTarget _getAllData.328 - oracle.sysman.emSDK.emd.comm.CommException: IOException in sending Request :: Connection refused: connect
                oracle.sysman.emSDK.emd.comm.CommException: IOException in sending Request :: Connection refused: connect
                     at oracle.sysman.emSDK.emd.comm.EMDClient.getResponseForRequest_(EMDClient.java:1308)
                     at oracle.sysman.emSDK.emd.comm.EMDClient.getResponseForRequest(EMDClient.java:1212)
                     at oracle.sysman.emSDK.emd.comm.EMDClient.getMetrics(EMDClient.java:637)
                     at oracle.sysman.emo.perf.metric.rt.DbHomeTab._getAllData(DbHomeTab.java:324)
                     at oracle.sysman.emo.perf.metric.rt.DbHomeTab.getData(DbHomeTab.java:139)
                     at oracle.sysman.emo.perf.metric.eng.MetricCached.collectCachedData(MetricCached.java:402)
                     at oracle.sysman.emo.perf.metric.eng.MetricCollectorThread._collectCachedData(MetricCollectorThread.java:596)
                     at oracle.sysman.emo.perf.metric.eng.MetricCollectorThread.run(MetricCollectorThread.java:320)
                     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

Any help will be appreciated!
                Gabriel.
                • 5. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
                  I am having two problems with the console: 1. starting the console and 2. connecting to the database with the Console.

The only way I can get the Console to start is by setting its startup in Windows Services to automatic and at the same time setting the database instance to manual startup. After rebooting you should notice that the Console has started, then you can start the database instance manually and have both started. If the Console and the database are both set to start automatically, then the Console always fails to start.

When I can get the Console and the databse both started, the console gives me a java.lang.Exception error and tells me that the database status is pending. In this state none of the usual statistics are displayed and none of the other Console pages work. I have tried stopping and restarting both the Console and the database. I even reinstalled Oracle 10g R2 completely. Nothing corrects this error.

The console was starting up and connecting to the database normally until a week ago. Then, for no apparent reason, the problems started.

My system: 10g R2 EE, Windows 2000 Pro, SP4, P4, 1 GB RAM.

I have seen in other posts suggestions that the java.lang.Exception error may be a problem with the agent. Note that 10g R2 installs with the Console embedded in it. The Console does not use the agent. I have also heard that the Exception error may be due to the settings of Windows user rights. I have set and un-set these rights (e.g. Log in as a Batch Job) and they seem to have no effect on the problem.

Are these known issue with the Console? Does the Grid Control have these same problems? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Chris
                  • 6. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
                    oradba
                    See my posting here:
                    Oracle suggested scheduled backup

The problem is the starting order of the services, I gave it up to configure it. Set starting method to MANUAL and use a batch file to start the services.

You may add the batch file to the AUTOSTART folder, so you have the same effect.
                    • 7. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
                      Thank you, Oradba, for your good advice about the starting order of the services and setting the listener, database and console all to MANUAL start. This confirms my suspicion that there is no way to autostart these three together.

However, after I log on to the console, the database remains unavailable and its status is still 'pending'. Any ideas?

Cheers, but still stuck.

Chris
                      • 8. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
                        oradba
                        Unfortunately there could be many reasons. If you search on metalink , for example 'status pending dbconsole', you get numerous hits.

Most common reasons are:

1) accounts SYSMAN and/or DBSNMP are locked
                        2) DHCP configuration, database server host responds with different (changing) IP-Addresses
                        3) Agent is unable to contact the database (emctl status agent shows 'Upload failed')
                        4) Advanced Security is used
                        • 9. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
                          Thanks again, Oradba, for your help. I checked the four points that you recommended:

1) accounts SYSMAN and/or DBSNMP are locked
                          No. Both are unlocked, as are SYSTEM and SYS.

2) DHCP configuration, database server host responds with different (changing) IP-Addresses
                          With the Microsoft Loopback adapter set to 10.10.10.10 (per Oracle installation doc), the IP address should be constant. I am not connected to the Internet, so there is no dynamic re-assignment of the IP address.

3) Agent is unable to contact the database (emctl status agent shows 'Upload failed')
                          The command 'emctl status agent' tells me that there is no agent running. If I understand correctly, the DBConsole does not use an agent and the 10g database software does not install an agent. The agent is a feature of the Grid Control, not DBConsole - am I correct? Therefore, this problem should be unrelated to the agent.

4) Advanced Security is used
                          No, not in this case.

This case is unusual because OEM was working properly for a while, then this 'pending' problem arose for no aparent reason.

Still frustrated.

Chris
                          • 10. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
                            oradba
                            Topic 3) No, this is not correct, because dbconsole needs also an agent. This agent is an integrated part of dbconsole, it is started when dbconsole is started. In Grid Control the agent is a separate process, it has even its own ORACLE_HOME. That's the output I see on one of my machines:

C:\oraprog\emctl status agent

Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Database Control Release 10.2.0.1.0
                            Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------
                            Agent Version : 10.1.0.4.1
                            OMS Version : 10.1.0.4.0
                            Protocol Version : 10.1.0.2.0
                            Agent Home : C:\oracle\server\127.0.0.1_ORACLE
                            Agent binaries : C:\oracle\server
                            Agent Process ID : 212
                            Agent Process ID : 212
                            Agent URL : http://127.0.0.1:3938/emd/main
                            Started at : 2005-10-16 11:49:43
                            Started by user : SYSTEM
                            Last Reload : 2005-10-16 11:49:43
                            Last successful upload : 2005-10-16 11:53:45
                            Total Megabytes of XML files uploaded so far : 0.31
                            Number of XML files pending upload : 3
                            Size of XML files pending upload(MB) : 0.04
                            Available disk space on upload filesystem : 77.68%
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------
                            Agent is Running and Ready

What could be wrong, if 'Agent is not running' is returned?
                            1) It's simply true for whatever reason (but there should be error messages)
                            2) ORACLE_HOME setting is wrong (PATH variable doesn't start with ORACLE_HOME\bin, where emctl is located). If this is the case, the agent is running, only the output is wrong.

You should examine, if there are errors in the log files. On my machine these are located in
                            C:\oracle\server\127.0.0.1_ORACLE\sysman\log .
                            You have to replace C:\oracle\server\127.0.0.1 with your own values.

Good luck
                            Werner
                            • 11. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
                              Thanks again, Werner, for your efforts.

When I manualy run emctl start agent, it gives me a list of around 20 services including DBConsole. There is no agent service specifically listed. Perhaps this is because the agent is integrated in DBConsole, which is listed.

When I run emctl status agent, it tells me 'agent is not running'. But maybe this is completely normal. If the agent is integrated in DBConsole, then a separate agent is not running and emctl is reporting correctly.

When you ran emctl status agent and got a full report ending with 'Agent is Running and Ready', were you running that emctl command on a machine that is under Grid Control? If so, then your machine would have a separate agent installed and running -- if I correctly understand the use of this middle-tier agent software.

I am running 10g on a standalone machine without the Grid Control. Are you sure that emctl status agent should also tell me 'Agent is Running and Ready'?

I checked my ORACLE_HOME variable and it is set correctly, i.e. the same default path that Universal Installer uses: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1. Note that the path should not point to the BIN directory, or you won't be able to load services like iSQL*Plus.

Thanks again.

Chris
                              • 12. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
                                oradba
                                I am running 10g on a standalone machine without the Grid Control. Are you sure that emctl status agent should also tell me 'Agent is Running and Ready'?
                                I also have a standalone installation and see exactly the same, if ORACLE_HOME\bin doesn't come first in the PATH variable. (emctl start agent shows a list of services,emtcl status agent responds 'is not running').

What happens if you change to ORACLE_HOME\bin directory in a DOS box? ( cd C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\bin) and try 'emctl status agent' again?
                                So you can test it without modifying the PATH variable.

Werner
                                • 13. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
                                  When you are running an agent like the one that installs with the Grid Control, you should see it started in Windows services. Since the DBConsole has its agent integrated in it, no agent appears as a separate service. However, if emctl status agent says that the 'Agent is Running and Ready', is it reporting on the agent itegrated with the DBConsole or on a separate agent? If there is no separate agent service running, then it must be reporting on the one integrated in the DBConsole. To be honest, I am not sure if emctl is designed to report on the status of the integrated agent. I am curious about this because I am not sure that my 'pending' problem depends on obtaining the 'Agent is Running and Ready' status.

The first entry in my PATH variable is C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\bin. With this entry set, emctl.bat (the one from the BIN directory) is available from any directory in a command window. When you run emctl start agent and it shows a list of services, it proves that emctl was found on the PATH and that it ran successfully. It does not prove that it actually started an agent, as emctl status agent, run immediately after the start command, responds with 'Agent is not running'. I still get the 'Agent is not running' message whether I cd to the BIN directory or not. Conclude that both of our PATHs are properly set.

Thanks again.

Chris
                                  • 14. Re: OEM 10g... with 10g Release 2
                                    oradba
                                    Hi Chris,
                                    it's all a little bit strange. You are right, the gridcontrol agent runs as a separate service. This is not true for the dbconsole agent. But I'm sure you must see the message 'Agent is up and running', if dbconsole should work properly. In my output from 'emtcl status agent' you can see a reference to dbconsole 10.2.0.1 , this would be not true for a gridcontrol agent.
                                    I don't know, why you have a different output. Did you already examine the log/trace files? There are several files, in this context most important is emagent.log. My emagent.log contains (since I use a german environment, messages are in german; C:\oracle\server is my database server home):

2005-10-16 11:49:44 Thread-220 Agent 10.1.0.4.1 wird aus C:\oracle\server gestartet (00701)
                                    (means Agent... is started from C:\ ...)
                                    2005-10-16 11:49:52 Thread-220 EMAgent erfolgreich gestartet (00702)
                                    (means EMAgent successfully started)
                                    2005-10-16 11:58:40 Thread-220 EMAgent normal herunterfahren (00703)
                                    (means EMAgent normally shutdown)

As you can see, although my database is 10.2.0.1, the agent is still level 10.1.0.4.

Werner
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next