1 2 3 Previous Next 71 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2013 6:30 PM by Karan Kukreja

Is it Worth to be DBA?

Hello Friends...
      First of all m sorry if m posting in a wrong section....

I am in last year of Computer Programmer Analyst program... have big interest in databases. Thought having Orcale certification would boost my career. But once i was on few job sites.. I searched for DBA positions and didnt find many. Moreover all the jobs that were listed there asked for atleast couple of years of experience. So from where would the freshers start? ... well here are my questions..

1) - Is it worth to be a DBA as compared to other jobs like netwrking or programming?
      2) - From where would Freshers or people with no experience start?
      3) - How much can we earn with 0-2 years experience?
      4) - How to find jobs that ask for people wich 0-2 years experience.

These are some questions that I can think of at the moment. Sorry again in acse its a wrong forum. I would welcome any kind of help in regarding this post of mine. It would help me make a career for myself.

Thanks
      GARRY
        • 1. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
          APC
          What units do you measure "worth" in? Monetary, long term career prospects, intellectual stimulus, value to the community?

Cheers, APC
          • 2. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
            Hi,

1) - Is it worth to be a DBA as compared to other jobs like netwrking or programming?
            Worth? Well... yes? As for me it's an interresting job, you're at a key point in ITs. Where data is, and data is the core of any company. Of course you have to love over-hours, cold dishes and soft drinks (openned many hours ago of course).

2) - From where would Freshers or people with no experience start?
            From what I have seen, it's a matter of luck. You might be able to find a job quickly or it might take some time. Anyway try taking an indirect approach. You're studying PA, so program for the database, come to know it well, and get formed on DBA, then become a real DBA.

3) - How much can we earn with 0-2 years experience?
            from 0 dollar to 1000000 yen ? Depends when, where, ...

4) - How to find jobs that ask for people wich 0-2 years experience.
            Where are you from?

Regards,

Yoann.
            • 3. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
              Sylar
              Find a trainee or Junior Dba Job to get the experience ... and keep studing ...
              • 4. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                Hi all,

I'm from INDIA. I've just finished my bachelors degree in computer science engineering..also much interested to work with databases..currently working in oracle forms,PL/SQL, reports...in hospital domain. I want to enrich my career as a DBA though not straight away.. I want to enter as junior level DBA...Pls people can u guide me in how I can proceed or start with.

What r the skills (both technical &non technical) I should posses?
                Are companies recruiting junior level DBA's?

I'll really appreciate your feedback advice words whatever it amy so
                • 5. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                  Nicolas.Gasparotto
                  Hi,

<br>I don't know what is a junior DBA in India, but in France a junior DBA is a DBA with a minimum of 4-5 years of experience into database administration. And not like a developper. It's not the same thing.
                  Before this one, it's a beginner DBA.</br>

<br>Have you read the very interesting article on the Andrew's blog (Read the thread Re: want to be a dba) ?</br>

<br>Nicolas.</br>
                  • 6. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                    >
                    I am in last year of Computer Programmer Analyst
                    program... have big interest in databases. Thought
                    having Orcale certification would boost my career.
                    But once i was on few job sites.. I searched for DBA
                    positions and didnt find many.
                    It depends on where you search and which country you search in. It may not be a general problem.
                    • 7. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                      Suggestions:

1. Do a lot of reading and research. DBA Handbook is a good start with.
                      2. Browse thru forums like these.
                      3. Install Oracle 9iR2 on your PC, create a db or two and play around.
                      4. Taking a class/course in db admin will also help
                      • 8. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                        Fahd.Mirza
                        I am in Oracle database administration for 3 years and honestly speaking I have just scratched the tip of iceberg, there is lots and lots of stuff to learn, but believe me its challenging, exciting and eventually rewarding both for soul, body and pocket.

The current job market needs Multi-partite DBAs, who not only know about Oracle but also about the host operating systems like windows and linux, other databases like SQLSERVER, MYSQL, some scripting, some XML, some java, some design. So be ready for an exciting journey.
                        • 9. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                          Hello Everybody,
                          I completed my PG in Computer Applications and am presently working with a Telecom giant as a software developer for the last 6 months.
                          From the inception of my career, I was interested in being an Oracle DBA which was why I studied for the same and completed the first 3 exams of the Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) in the DBA track. I will be finishing the last paper shortly.
                          After I started looking out for jobs as an Oracle DBA, I was shocked to know that this industry hires only experienced DBAs and freshers have absolutely no place.
                          I would be highly obliged if anybody can help me out regarding this and let me know how to start as a fresh DBA.
                          Thanks and Regards,
                          Ashish from India.
                          • 10. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                            Fahd.Mirza
                            Information is the most important asset of an organization. Databases are the tools to handle this information and databases need administrators. So as long as the businesses value their information, the DBAs are worth.

Its a true quandry for the freshers to start their careers as DBA. You cant be the general of Army straight away, you have to go through the process. So dont look forward to become a DBA head-on, look forward to become Oracle developer and equip yourself with Oracle technologies. The more technologies you have in your repertoire, the more the liklihood for an organization to have you as their DBA.
                            • 11. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                              Hello Friends,
                              I am doing DBA track. I have done PG in Computer Applications.Before that I am working as a software programmer. After here i read some jobs. I shocked that fresh DBA's dont get job. Why this happen many one tell me? Is this the part on DBA's life? Please help.

With Regards
                              Rajul
                              • 12. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                                aravind_ksk
                                Still there are opening for freshers in small companies as a DBA still you need some luck too. I was previously workin as a support to DBA in a bi banking gaint,Its precious data and that dnt like people learnin in that environment and prefr for atleast 5yrs min exp..
                                Still dont lose hope keep working you will sure find one.
                                • 13. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                                  kuljeet singh -
                                  Hi,

every company wants experience person for his live databases.
                                  yes its a part of DBA life...first break is bit difficult for fresher....i start my career as a oracle developer on forms and reports but after 1.5 yrs of exp i directly go for ORACLE DBA job.and now i am working as a DBA.
                                  So my advice is that u should first complete ur OCP certification.after this try to find some jr level job on small organisation or education center...

Thanks
                                  Kuljeet
                                  • 14. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                                    aravind_ksk
                                    Still I am not a full time DBA. I currently working as a test engineer,load testing oracle database..Still i am happy as i am performing some DBA tasks..I will be a full fleged DBA one day. Dont give up as it is one of the BEST Carrer track..
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next