9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2005 11:39 AM by 235302

Interconnect SAP-Adapter generall questions

Hello,

we run Application Server Forms & Reports standalone.
      Can I install SAP-Adapter in the same Oracle Home?
      Do I need a infrastructure database, if yes, for what?
      Thank you in advance.
      Regards
      Frank
        • 1. Re: Interconnect SAP-Adapter generall questions
          Hello Frank,

to answer your questions correctly I need some mor informations:

What version of Application Server you are using?
          Do you also use an integration product where you want to integrate the SAP-Adapter, i.e. Interconnect? Or what do you want to do with the SAP-Adapter?

Regards
          Colette
          • 2. Re: Interconnect SAP-Adapter generall questions
            Hello Colette,

1. Currently we run Forms&Reports standalone 10g (9.0.4.1.0) but plan to install BI&Forms Middletier 10.1.2.0.2 as soon as possible.
            2. I´m not realy firm with this subject, but I think I have to install first interconnect software, don´t I?
            We want to retrieve and send data between Oracle and SAP.
            Kind Regards
            Frank
            • 3. Re: Interconnect SAP-Adapter generall questions
              Hello Frank,

yes, you have to install Interconnet first. If you install Interconnect you have to create a special Interconnect Home. And in this home you can install all adapters too. You can install the adapters also on other servers (i.e. on the server from SAP system). But it is important that the adapter is possible to connect to the Application Server infrastructure database (where your hub is included).

Regards
              Colette
              • 4. Re: Interconnect SAP-Adapter generall questions
                Hello Colette,

We plan to install the interconnect components on Application Server node.
                Is ther any "Best Practices for Interconnect/ SAP-Adapter"?
                Must it be a Application Server Infrastructure where the hub is located or can it be a customer database also?
                Regards
                Frank
                • 5. Re: Interconnect SAP-Adapter generall questions
                  I would install the adapters on the Hub AS machine, and not the target system.

Some reasons for this are:-

* Management purposes, using IC Manager or OEM Console (depends what version of OAI you are using)
                  * Messaging protocols. Hub <-> Adapter is JMS/CORBA, and Adapter to target system is FTP, SMTP, SQLNet (or whatever it is called this year) etc. Firewalls and networks can be funny about certain protocols.

I have always chosen to the put the adapters on the hub machine, rather than the target machine.

HTH
                  Yan
                  • 6. Re: Interconnect SAP-Adapter generall questions
                    Hello Yan,

thank you for hints.
                    Does this mean that I have to install adapter and interconnect into a separate Oracle Home on the Application Server machine, where infrastructure database is running, to use Infrastructure database as hub repository?
                    Thanks
                    Regards
                    Frank
                    • 7. Re: Interconnect SAP-Adapter generall questions
                      Frank,

You can have the interconnect components in one Oracle home, and the adapters in another; or have all I/C components in the same home. It is up to how you wish to manage these components. You just need to ensure that they are on the same physical server if you want to it to be performant and managed.

The Infrastructure database is usually both these two things:--
                      * the metadata store (i.e. the "Design Time" part of the InterConnect - managed by the use of iStudio), and
                      * the "Run time" message hub, store and forward facility using the Hubs queues.

There are a few topologies that Oracle suggest, have a look at their Installation Guides for Integration, but if you already have Oracle Homes on your server (e.g. for Oracle Applications) then you must NOT install InterConnect there. You MUST put InterConnect component in another home(s).

HTH
                      Yan
                      • 8. Re: Interconnect SAP-Adapter generall questions
                        Hello Frank,

I agree with Yan. In all projects we did we installed all adapters on the Application Server host.

Regards
                        Colette
                        • 9. Re: Interconnect SAP-Adapter generall questions
                          Hello Yan,
                          thank you for explanation, it´s becoming more and more plain to me.
                          One, hopefully, last question.
                          If Application Server Infrastructure and with it Infrastructure Database is installed in a CFC environment, is there any problem for Interconnect components running in a CFC HA environment?
                          Thank you in advance.
                          Regards
                          Frank