9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2010 3:20 PM by 822708 RSS

Install Error: SID already exists

Hello,
      I uninstalled 9i whose SID is, say, BLNG. Now I am installing 10gR2 and I'd like to use the same SID name. But install says:

The SID you have specified already exists on this machine. Please specify a different SID.

I need to use the same SID. How do I get install to accept a previously used SID? Which files / registry entries do I need to change or delete.

Thanks,
      gk
        • 1. Re: Install Error: SID already exists
          Tony Garabedian
          It is much safer/better to drop a database before you uninstall Oracle software.
          Now that you have uninstalled without dropping you need to clean every single trace manually since the uninstall was not legal or complete.

Before following these steps backup your PC and registry

1- start your PC in safe mode, delete the parent Oracle folder from your drive.
          2- Restart in Normal mode.
          3- Open the registry using regedit.exe from start/run/
          4- delete from the registry the following entries/keys
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM
          Controlset001/services/%oracle_services%
          Controlset002/services/%oracle_services%

Now you need clean the legacy entries from your registry.
          If your OS is not Win XP you need to use regedt32.exe. If Win XP then use the regedit.exe.
          To remove the legacy entries you have to be the Administrator and change the security on the legacy keys so you can delete it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/SYSTEM/Controlset001/ENUM/Root/Legacy%Oracle_services%

and the same for Controllset002.

I suggest you’d be VERY CAREFUL with the registry, one single mistake and bye-bye Windows.
          and also drop the database with dbca before you uninstall the software, and use oradim to remove the services.

Hope this helps
          Tony Garabedian

If you have other Oracle products installed on you machine, make sure you delete only the uninstalled database entries/keys from the registry.

Message was edited by:
          Tony Garabedian
          • 2. Re: Install Error: SID already exists
            You better use SC.EXE, it is easier, faster and less error-prone
            • 3. Re: Install Error: SID already exists
              sc delete "service_name" from the command prompt worked for me! thanks.
              • 4. Re: Install Error: SID already exists
                Actually i had Oracle 10g in my comp. And I tried to uninstall it . i dont know whether i was usccessful or not . But after following things from the net , like deleting the reg entries. again i tried to install oracle10g.. I gave SID as orcl. But im getting the message as

"The SID you have specified already exists on this machine. Please specify a different SID"

I want to install oracle 10g in my comp now. I m new to oracle. so please anyone help me in uninstalling and again re0install oralce 10g properly.
                • 5. Re: Install Error: SID already exists
                  Muneer-Oracle
                  Seems like you are also trying to create a database while installing 10g. You can install 10g even when there is traces of earlier database in the server. Go for software only installation.

Since this is a windows server there will be traces of the old instances scattered in the registry. You need to clean the registry of this info. Its a bit tedious and risky task. Take a backup of the registry and remove all the entries of previous SID from the registry.

Try creating the database from the newly installed oracle home.
                  • 6. Re: Install Error: SID already exists
                    Madrid
                    Hello,
                    I uninstalled 9i whose SID is, say, BLNG. Now I am
                    installing 10gR2 and I'd like to use the same SID
                    name. But install says:

The SID you have specified already exists on this
                    machine. Please specify a different SID.

I need to use the same SID. How do I get install to
                    accept a previously used SID? Which files / registry
                    entries do I need to change or delete.

Thanks,
                    gk
                    gk,

I don't see in your original post where have you declared you are working with a windows system. In case it is a unix like system you must delete the entry from the oratab file and retry the dbca session.

~ Madrid
                    http://hrivera99.blogspot.com
                    • 7. Re: Install Error: SID already exists
                      tnx this was a correct answer from Tony...
                      • 8. Install Error: SID already exists How can I delete this from cmd prompt
                        Hi ,
                        I tried to uninstall Oracle 10g from my laptop which had OS Winodws Vista Premium system.i don't know whether I was successful in it.
                        It shows error as "SID already exists in my system".
                        I went to command prompt and typed regedit32.exe to delete that entry/key.But unsuccessful.
                        Can anyone help me how to delete the SID from cmd prompt ?
                        • 9. Re: Install Error: SID already exists
                          •     sc delete oracledbconsoleSIDNAME
                          •     sc delete oraclejobschedulerSIDNAME
                          •     sc delete oraclemtsrecoveryservice
                          •     sc delete oracleoradb10g_home1isql*plus
                          •     sc delete oracleoradb10g_home1tnslistener
                          •     sc delete oracleserviceSIDNAME

This worked for me as well. What a fast/clean solution. Thank you so much!

Anthony