This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2008 12:39 PM by 632258 RSS

Error when trying to sync Palm T

460497 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I get the following error. I haven't been able to sync for the first time. I was upgrading from Netscape Calendar. Any suggestions?

HotSync operation started 10/16/05 23:34:42
<0010-00-00-00000008>The sync client service could not find a mandatory preference
OK Oracle Date Book Conduit with 1 message(s)
  • 1. Re: Error when trying to sync Palm T
    462578 Newbie
    I have the same error on first sync of Palm T|X. Any ideas?
  • 2. Re: Error when trying to sync Palm T
    FredS. Newbie
    -note that not all PDA devices are supported by Oracle Collab Suite connectors
    -What version of Ocal Suite do you use and what type of PDA. Palm Tungsten?

Fred
  • 3. Re: Error when trying to sync Palm T
    468499 Newbie
    I'm seeing this as well. From what I can tell, the Conduit is not able to set the Time Zone. I go into the time zone settings and it is blank, and will not let me select a time zone. This seems to be the mandatory preference taht it cannot find.
  • 4. Re: Error syncing Palm Treo 650
    469349 Newbie
    is there a fix for the time zone thing? I can't figure out why this sometimes works but usually is a bear when installing.
  • 5. Re: Error when trying to sync Palm T
    447187 Newbie
    I have a T|X that I am able to sync successfully with Oracle Calendar (MacOS X 10.4.3, sync 9.0.4.2.10)
  • 6. Re: Error when trying to sync Palm T
    468802 Newbie
    I was having the same problem on my Treo 650. Don't know if this will work for you, but it did for me (at least, it's working right at this moment).

I'd installed Calendar Sync for Palm 10.1.1 on my Windows box and experienced "small heap" errors when syncing. At this point, I could see the timezone settings. Couldn't find anything on the small heap error, so I went to palm.com and downloaded/installed the latest Desktop software 4.1.4e, then reinstalled Calendar Sync. This is when I noticed there was a blank menu in the setup screen for the timezones. After poking around in the registry, I found the following:
    1. "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Oracle\Calendar Sync for Palm" appears to contain all the correct calendar sync configurations settings.
    2. "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Calendar Sync for Palm" also existed that basically contained blank keys. I deleted this hierarchy, went back to my settings, and the proper timezone showed up, along with all the other timezone settings.

I don't know if this was a fluke, or if it will continue to work, but the next time I synced, it worked.

After this worked, I uninstalled Calendar Sync and manually removed registry entry #1 aobve. I then reinstalled the Calendar Sync and checked the registry-- only the one mentioned in #1 was there, and everything worked fine. I'm curious to know if this works for you.
  • 7. Re: Error when trying to sync Palm T
    462578 Newbie
    Same issues w/ Palm T|X. Deleted registry entry like 2. below, and the "mandatory preference" error no longer appears and sync completes successfully.

-tom
    1. "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Oracle\Calendar Sync
    for Palm" appears to contain all the correct calendar
    sync configurations settings.
    2. "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Calendar Sync for
    Palm" also existed that basically contained blank
    keys. I deleted this hierarchy, went back to my
    settings, and the proper timezone showed up, along
    with all the other timezone settings.
  • 8. Re: Error when trying to sync Palm T
    475334 Newbie
    I'm glad I found this thread! I ran into the same error message, and your discussion gave me enough clues to solve it. I didn't have the registry keys that were mentioned earlier, but I was also having timezone issues. Another symptom I had that was not mentioned was that in the Settings screen, there were no options available in the Time Zone drop-down menu.

By looking at the log file (under C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Oracle\Calendar Sync for Palm\logs), I noticed these two entries:

<timezonepath>C:\Program Files\Oracle\Calendar Sync for Palm\</timezonepath>

and later:

<timezonepath>C:\Documents and Settings\<username>Application Data\Oracle\Calendar Sync for Palm</timezonepath>

(I've replaced my actual name with <username> in the above.)

In the first directory, a file called timezone.ini lives. My hack was to just copy that file to the second directory, and that solved my problem.

There seems to be some issues with the installer for this release....hopefully Oracle will take a look at it.

-Rob
  • 9. Re: Error when trying to sync Palm T
    475963 Newbie
    I was getting the same error but doing the things listed in this thread did not help. I finally downloaded an update to my HotSync client that wasn't intended for my Palm. I previously had version 4.0 of the Hotsync client, which is the latest one available from palm.com for the Handspring Visor Deluxe. I now have version 4.1.0, which is technically for a different Palm but seems to work fine with my Visor. That solved the problem and it now synchronizes just fine. Apparently Oracle calendar is not compatible with the older 4.0.x version of the Hotsync Manager.
  • 10. Re: Error when trying to sync Palm T
    484236 Newbie
    I was getting the same error mentioned in the thread. And after copying the timezone.ini, it worked !!! Thank You
  • 11. Re: Error when trying to sync Palm T
    468802 Newbie
    Speaking of which- does anyone know where a comprehensive list of Palm and Windows PDAs certified for Oracle Calendar Sync (NOT Mobile Sync) is located? I'm getting desperate for this info as we're going live with OCS 10.1.1 in a few weeks...
  • 12. Re: Error when trying to sync Palm T
    421681 Newbie
    http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B25553_01/install.1012/b25471/clientinstallation.htm#sthref1246
  • 13. Re: Error when trying to sync Palm T
    469349 Newbie
    I found that I can get a successful install by:

- Uninstalling CorpTime / Oracle Calendar Snyc and App
    - reboot (it will prompt you to)
    - reinstalling Latest oracle calendar (presently 10.1.2)
    - Reboot (It will not prompt you, but if you don't you get the tiem zone issue)
    - install calendar sync
    - reboot (it will prompt you to)

At this point all is well
  • 14. Re: Error when trying to sync Palm T
    525847 Newbie
    Gosh - love Oracle's search box - when I was trying to find a solution, I got nothing.

google found it right away.

Yes, dropping the timezone.ini in the user's application data works. Will test later with the process of uninstall/reinstall/etc.

Lately all of the 10.x client versions are being very carelessly packed. In the case of the palm sync it is not compatible with Oracle Instant Client for example...

BTW I created a tar already for it and will pass the info down about timezone.ini not properly being dropped where it should..
1 2 Previous Next