12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2007 3:47 PM by Sal RSS

Installing and using the instant client

Hi, we are having some troubles with understanding how to use the instant client.

We are using a windows client, connection to our Oracle database via odbc, so we can make some staticstics.

We used to use the full oracle client 8 install, but when that gave us some troubles, so we wantedto switch to a newer release, and saw that there was an instant client. Thinking that i didnt need to install the full oracle client i downloaded the basic package and the odbc addon.

I unzipped the two archieves in c:\oracleodbc on a clean computer.
      I added the c:\oracleodbc path to the %path%
      I added TNS_ADMIN system variable pointing to c:\oracleodbc
      i ran the odbc_install.exe program.

I would now think that i could access the oracle database via odbc without having to install the full oracleclient, but it does not work.

When i try to add a odbc connection in microsoft odbc manager i get the following error when i choose the oracle odbc driver:

"The setup routines for the Oracle in instantclient10_2 ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 126"

When i click ok to that i get a new error window with the title: "Driver's ConfigDSN, ConfigDriver, or ConfigTranslator failed" and the error text:
      "Could not load the setup or translator library"

I was not planning to use any TNS files, but just use the quickconnect string, to connect to the right oracle service.

Do i still need to install the full client for it to work or what ?

Hope someone can help out.
      Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Installing and using the instant client
          Sudheendra
          As mentioned if you have unzipped basic.zip and odbc.zip in c:\oracleodbc it would put the dlls under a newly created directory called "instantclient10_2"
          So you should have this directory in the path which has the dll's and not just the c:\oracleodbc
          • 2. Re: Installing and using the instant client
            Sudheendra
            Also you should point your TNS_ADMIN to the directory where you put a tnsnames.ora file with the connect string configured
            and you should be running odbc_install.exe from the directory where you have the odbc dll(sqora32.dll located)
            • 3. Re: Installing and using the instant client
              thanks for you answers sudsrini.

I got the correct path, i have copied all the files to that folder, so i dont have a subfolder.

I got it to work with the older release, so i guess i'll just use that one instead.
              • 4. Re: Installing and using the instant client
                I came across maybe the same issue earlier with 10.2 odbc... It looks like oracle has switched to new compiler with 10.2. It appears to be making use of MFC71. So you might want to try again after installing the MFC runtime DLLs in the driver directory. Try adding these dlls - MFC71.dll, msvcr71.dll, MFC71ENU.dll. The documentation needs to be updated by oracle. I noticed the release docs for 10.2.0.1 still refer to the 10.1.0.4.

Hope this helps, it fixed my same issue.
                • 5. Re: Installing and using the instant client
                  LaurenzAlbe
                  This basically means that Instant Client 10.2.0.1.0 ships incomplete.

Obviously they packaged and released the software without ever trying to
                  install and use it on a virgin computer. Makes one think.

We ran into this and another very basic problem (Instant Client didn't work with
                  LDAP until the current release).

I get the impression that Instant Client is a bit flaky.
                  What are your experiences?
                  • 6. Re: Installing and using the instant client
                    I'm replying to an old thread, but did any of you ever got this resolved?

I've got a fresh Windows 2003 Server install, from which I'd need to establish an ODBC connection to an Oracle database.

I've downloaded Instant Client Basic and ODBC add-on, unzipped them into D:\oracle\instantclient10_2\ , added the path into PATH, TNS_ADMIN and ORACLE_HOME environment variables and run the odbc_install.exe successfully.

Trying to create an ODBC connection (System DSN) results in "The setup routines for the Oracle in instantclient10_2 ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 126".

I don't have MFC71 on the server and I couldn't figure out where to get those - I won't install MS Visual .NET just for this. MFC42 appears to be included in the OS.

Where can I get an older version of Instant Client instead?
                    • 7. Re: Installing and using the instant client
                      LaurenzAlbe
                      On http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/winsoft.html

If I were you I would use the newer client and copy the missing libraries from
                      some other computer (e.g. one that has the full client installed).

There is an Oracle bug in Metalink for this, the number is 4696660.
                      It is set to priority 2, has changed owner quite a lot and it seems that nobody has
                      been very interested in it for the last 1.5 months.

You could open a TAR and request a fix. Maybe that speeds things up.

Yours,
                      Laurenz Albe
                      • 8. Re: Installing and using the instant client
                        I just completed the installation of the Client, and indeed you need to copy the two dlls called mfc71.dll and msvcr71.dll on your computer.
                        I found them easily through google, and put them after in c:\winnt\system and in my oracle installation dir, just in case.
                        Now it's working !

Hope it helps,
                        Guilhain Rouyer
                        • 9. Re: Installing and using the instant client
                          Copying mfc71.dll and msvcr71.dll from another PC into the Instant Client directory (where I unzipped the client files) worked for me too.
                          • 10. Re: Installing and using the instant client
                            Every other fix I tried failed until I copied the same 2 DLL's into the instant client (not winnt\system) directory. Then it worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip, and no thanks to the Oracle release notes!
                            • 11. Re: Installing and using the instant client
                              Hallelujah - this fix worked for me as well. I can't believe a major client release would go out without dependency checking!
                              • 12. Re: Installing and using the instant client
                                Sal
                                Does the most recent 10.2.0.3 release need mfc71.dll and msvcr71.dll in the Oracle Instant client directory? Is it just needed in the path?