3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2005 6:34 PM by 416900

How to Map multiple Source fields into One destination field

Hello,
      We are using Interconnect version 10.1.2 Does anybody know how to map multiple source field into one desitnation field and perform transformation like rpad at the same time.

Thanks
      Deepak
        • 1. Re: How to Map multiple Source fields into One destination field
          Hi Deepak,

There are a few ways you could tackle this.
          1. Perform the bespoke transformation of the data at the source, or the target system (outside of the hub).
          2. Write a custom transformation to do this operation.
          3. Use the DatabaseOperation transformation, writing a function held in the hub database.
          4. In your Source Application View, rpad all your source values, and put them into new "holding" common view attributes. Then from the common view, use the ConcatFields transformation to join them all together to your Target Application view.

Each of these methods have advantages and disadvantages.
          Yan
          • 2. Re: How to Map multiple Source fields into One destination field
            Hi Yan,

Thanks for your reply. Can you explain to me in more details as to what a bespoke transformation is. I am not aware of this kind of transformation.

Thanks
            Deepak
            • 3. Re: How to Map multiple Source fields into One destination field
              Deepak,

I mean here that you could write a pl/sql function or procedure that creates the actual value string format from the data either before sending it in the message, or once the message has been delivered create the string there.

In other words, write the "transformation" of the data, using the sources of data, but in the source or target system, not in the hub.

The drawback here is that the source system may not have all the source values to make up your desired string, or you may have multiple systems receiving the message, and therefore need to create the same type of function in many systems. As I said, there are drawbacks to each of these options.

Sorry - I should not have used the word "transformation" before as this implies Integration transformation. What I should have said was something like "a string output formatting function".

Yan